C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left "Passing" Lane Etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 01:42 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Left "Passing" Lane Etiquette?

After reading how badly trashed Skyguyz got for posting his "Knotty Pine Heads" commentary about lousy, aggressive drivers, I'm going to be a lightning rod for some of the same knee-jerk reactions by posting my personal philosophy about using the left lane (otherwise commonly known as the "speed lane" or "passing lane").

IMHO, the left lane is the safest lane to be in since there won't be traffic trying to enter from the left (in most cases), nor slowing traffic trying to exit right, so unless there are posted signs that state "keep right except to pass", I will stay in the left lane on highways so long as I am passing the traffic in the lanes to my right.

Sometimes I'll see someone coming from way back at a really fast clip who decides to come right up on my tail and tailgate me at 80 MPH rather than be inconvenienced by having to pass me on the right. Since I am already exceeding the speed limit by 10 - 15 MPH, I don't feel any compunction to be courteous to some a$$hole who is being so discourteous as to ride my tail and flash his lights demanding that I move over so he can do 100.

Every lane change entails more risk than staying put. My safest move is to stay in the left lane - so long as I am going faster than all the other lanes - and not move over to allow some speed freak to go faster. If he wants to drive recklessly, let him take the risks of making the lane changes and not try to bully me into moving over.

The US does not have Autobahns, so the rules of the Autobahn do not apply.

If there is a sign that states, "slower traffic keep right", and if my speed is greater than all the traffic on the right, I have no reason to move among them so long as I am already exceeding the posted speed limit. Just because someone wants to go faster than I'm going does not mean I have to move over for them, but I'm sure I will soon hear from those people!

I'd also like to hear from like-minded drivers (if any) who share my opinions about left-lane driving.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree with your philosophy. It is actually against the law here in PA for just cruising in the left lane. This law was created to prevent agressive drivers from cutting off those who continue to stay in the left lane when they have plenty of opportunity to do the correct thing and pull over. I drive for a living and left lane cruisers really **** me off. Nothing personal, but you don't own the road and there is always going to be somebody faster than you. Some people are actually in a hurry (ex...going to the hospital, late for an important meeting, etc.) and need to get around faster than you on some days. Keep right please.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:53 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default Left Lane...

IF SOMEONE IS GOING FASTER THAN YOU,AND YOU'RE IN THE LEFT LANE.MOVE THE HELL OVER!!!That is correct and proper raod manners anywhere and any time!!!What in the hell do you care how fast that guy is going???It's guy's who drive as you've described that cause accidents and road rage!!!THE LEFT LANE IS THE PASSING LANE,NOT THE CRUISING LANE!!!GET IT??RIGHT LANE=SLOW LANE,MIDDLE LANE=CRUISING LANE LEFT LANE=PASSING LANE!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Jeff
I'd also like to hear from like-minded drivers (if any) who share my opinions about left-lane driving.
It will be safer to hear from the un-like minded.
Safer for you, as the ultra fast drivers coming up on your rear are ultra aggressive, and they commonly will not take kindly to you being in front of them. It's only a matter of time until you experience their form of road rage.
My wife and daughter were almost killed in a similar situation a few years ago.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:00 PM
CamaroCane
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, the left lane is the safest lane to be in since there won't be traffic trying to enter from the left (in most cases), nor slowing traffic trying to exit right, so unless there are posted signs that state "keep right except to pass", I will stay in the left lane on highways so long as I am passing the traffic in the lanes to my right.
If you are in a neigborhood that does not have a posted sign saying "Slow Children at Play" are you not gonna pay any attention to little Johnnie running out into the road to get his ball?

heres the way I see it

The Golden Rule: If you are driving at the same rate of speed as the person in the lane next to you for more than 5 seconds, one of you is in the wrong lane.

Sub-statute 1 – the left lane should always be moving faster than the right lane.

Sub-statute B – the left lane driver should never be at or below the speed limit.

Excuse 1 – apocalyptic weather conditions.

Excuse 2 – funeral procession.

Excuse 3 – you have died behind the wheel and are no longer in control of the vehicle.

Sub-statute 3c – if you are being passed on the right, take it as a sign from God that his path is leading you out of the fast lane, and take a hint.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:01 PM
repete12
Instructor

Old 05-08-2006, 02:02 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

Soooo,let's review~ People who drive faster than you are "lousy,aggresive,*******s" and what about people who drive slower than you? Are they also "slow,slugs,roadblocks?" You ARE
the problem,sir. Unless you are the traffic commioner in your County,you've got ZERO right to tell anyone anything regarding driving technique/practice.

Move up or move over...
Old 05-08-2006, 02:03 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the right lane for "safety" as you usually have an escape route on a shoulder should you need to be defensive.

Left lane typically on highways has no shoulder and your only move would be to your right which is usually occupied. I use the left lane for passing only and return to the right lane when there is enough gap ahead to cruise at a reasonable speed.

Guess you never drove an Autobahn
Old 05-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Your rationalizations sound a lot like the do-gooder mentality of the 70's and 80's when we were stuck with the 55 mph max speed limit. Hog the left lane and damned all those gas guzzling unpatriotic speeders. I'm right and the're wrong, I'm staying in the left lane and doing 55 because it's safer for me and once I'm there I don't have to think. And changing lanes is so much touble. You might actually have to drive your car and pay attention.

As long as you are passing people on the right you have a right to stay in the left lane. When the road opens up on your right, the courteous and safe thing to do is move over.

Now on some roads that have heavy truck traffic that has rutted the right lanes, I will stay in the left lane because it's smoother. But if I see someone approaching from the rear, I have have no problem getting out of their way. And I appreciate it when other drivers have the same courtesy.

Refusing to move out of the left lane is wrong and creates a more dangerous sitution for everyone when the faster traffic has to move to the right to pass.

Were you one of those do-gooders in the 70's also?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Your 'philosophy' is against the law in most (maybe all) states and can even result in a moving violation (a ticket).
Old 05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Builderrick
Race Director

Received 121 Likes on 49 Posts

IMHO you sir are a poor driver. Your main concern seems to be yourself. I sometimes have a tendency to go a little over the limit. However even with one of the fastest cars on the road I ALWAYS move to the right if I am not passing someone. In some states it is illegal to pass on the right.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:12 PM
pnielsen
Instructor

Originally Posted by CamaroCane
The Golden Rule: If you are driving at the same rate of speed as the person in the lane next to you for more than 5 seconds, one of you is in the wrong lane.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:13 PM
cg205
Racer

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Your 'philosophy' is against the law in most (maybe all) states and can even result in a moving violation (a ticket).
This is true, but even more important, you are begging to be involved in a case of road rage. Happens all the time, and quite often to people doing just as you do.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:13 PM
mrrevsss
Instructor

It is a free country if you want to stay in the left lane fine .
but don't complain when the police pick you off and let me go cause I am in the right lane.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Pontiaker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I agree. No matter what speed your doing in the left lane be it 60 or 100 if a faster car comes up from behind move the hell over! If you dont move over you cause impatiant people to pass on the right (or left) and cut you or other people off. There is no reason for you to try and CONTROL the left lane because you think your right. Just move over and slip back after they pass, whats so hard about this?

I drove 2.5 hours home from Sacto Raceway yesterday, the speed on most of this two and three lane freeway is 70mph. I did 10-15 over mainly keeping up with the faster traffic on the freeway. I would guess 1 in 10 cars moved over as the faster traffic approched. I moved over for every car that caught me from behind except when the traffic was so tight I could not. This is common sense stuff! Your sense of controlling the fast lane is a joke and just causes problems. Your afraid to make a lane change because of the risk involved? Are you nuts! This is really why you sit there in the left lane? My God, whats the world coming to.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:15 PM
wildcatter
Racer

It's people like you who make driving on the highway a real PITA.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

And don't forget that this a CORVETTE forum.
You'd probably get different responses from the Prius forum...

Get notified of new replies

To Left "Passing" Lane Etiquette?

Old 05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
jnx911
Melting Slicks

I don't think you got the answer you were looking for but, you got the one"s you deserve. GET OVER WHEN NOT PASSING! What is so hard about understanding that?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Hayabusa1921
Intermediate

This is a joke right? A C6 owner as a left lane bandit. Let the jerk pass, the local LEO will deal with him. Once he passes he is no longer a risk to you. Keep him stuck behind you and all you have done is **** off someone who has already proven he will tailgate you at high speed. What else will he do? If you move your @ss over, all he will do is pass. What you are doing is creating a dangerous situation. Forcing him to pass you on the right is more dangerous for everyone (including you). I hope to never encounter you on the road. You are an accident waiting to happen. Please move over, don't let your ego (I am going the perfect speed and you cannot pass) get in the way of safe driving. By the way, seems like all the senior citizens in Florida agree with you.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,428 Likes on 775 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would most likely be the a-hole, as you put it, flashing my lights for you to GTF out of the way. The left lane on an interstate highway is not there for you to idly cruise in. Move or get moved.

Quick Reply: Left "Passing" Lane Etiquette?