C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal Of Rear License Plate Rubber Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 09:57 PM
marcar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Removal Of Rear License Plate Rubber Bumpers

Recently, I bought a GM VR license plate frame for my new car. Having not installed the license until I had this frame, I was a little miffed by how the whole assembly protrudes out because of these soft rubber bumpers. It would look so much better flush. Not a big deal to snip these bumpers off but has anyone else done this so there plate lies flat.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:13 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by marcar
Recently, I bought a GM VR license plate frame for my new car. Having not installed the license until I had this frame, I was a little miffed by how the whole assembly protrudes out because of these soft rubber bumpers. It would look so much better flush. Not a big deal to snip these bumpers off but has anyone else done this so there plate lies flat.
The plastic frame vibrates a lot and you don't want it to vibrate against the body. I have the Mag Red frame with the rubber bumpers in place and from the rear you can't tell.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:13 PM
SERENITY_NOW
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don't they protect the body from scratching?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

My GM painted plate holder lies flat to the rear. I did not have to cut off or remove anything. Sorry, can't help.

Update: Just went out to the garage and checked. Sure enough, it does "protrude" slightly. However, like VET4LES said, you can't tell. It had me fooled.

Last edited by Zymurgy; 05-15-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:38 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

I think they'll just pull out of the holes they're in. But agree with others that you're probably better off leaving them in.

Another solution might be to buy the little half-round clear bumpers that hardware stores sell for cabinet door and drawers and attach them to the back of the plate/frame edge. I don't think they would protrude out nearly as far.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:11 AM
marcar
Racer

Thanks for your responses. I'll leave them be and try to get used to it. Better than scratches. Geeezzz, I can't believe how pickey I am about this car. A lot of pride in my new vette.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:54 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Protrudes? I haver the MSM frame on my C6Z and it only "protrudes" at the bottom about 1/8". Talk about ****!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 PM
RedHot
Le Mans Master

Location: Recovering from a tragic boating accident in Jacksonville Fl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by C-INRED
Another solution might be to buy the little half-round clear bumpers that hardware stores sell for cabinet door and drawers and attach them to the back of the plate/frame edge. I don't think they would protrude out nearly as far.
I did this, but I attached the bumpers to the body rather than the frame. This way, the frame will rub aginst the bumpers rather than the frame rubbing the bumpers aginst the body.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SERENITY_NOW
Don't they protect the body from scratching?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:07 PM
SoldSyclone
Drifting

I would take them off and cover the back of the plate with something thinner tape, plastic, fabric, thin felt, I think they make thin sticky felt pieces about the size of a quarter.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:56 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I've got the GM frame on my silver C6 coupe. Also had the GM frame on my red C6 vert.

Here's the trick. A couple of nylon washers from the hardware store, 2 thin ones on each side in my case, attached to the top behind the tag and frame screws. This will tilt the top out just a bit, bringing the bottom in just a bit. Leave the rubber bumpers. This keeps the frame and tag off the body about 1/16 of an inch, or so. Looks great and is more even with the body work along the sides. Perfect in a few seconds.

BTW...the earlier GM frames have 2 tabs along the bottom to secure the tag inside the frame. The later ones do not. The ones that do not will never fit well and lay smoothly to the body work of the rear fascia. I know this from experience. I had to send the non tabs frame back to the Chebby dealer and order another with the bottom tabs for my 06 from ZIP. They just happen to have an older style in stock, a GM piece.

Seems ****, yeah maybe. But since it's my only mod...WTF.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:58 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RedHot
I did this, but I attached the bumpers to the body rather than the frame. This way, the frame will rub aginst the bumpers rather than the frame rubbing the bumpers aginst the body.
Good move.

Get notified of new replies

To Removal Of Rear License Plate Rubber Bumpers

Quick Reply: Removal Of Rear License Plate Rubber Bumpers