C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new Z51 tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 08:24 PM
DrivnXcitment
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default A new Z51 tire question

Yes before everyone starts posting a dead horse getting beat, let me explain. I have read numerous posts about how we as C6 owners are getting poor to mediocre mileage out of the Goodyear Supercars (the ones on the Z51 equipped cars).

I also understand the fact that these are performance tires and will not last 50,000 miles like regular tires. I know their tread wear rating and that they are sticky. I know they don't last as long, but they should last longer than 13k miles. Thats just a bit weak for 400 dollars per tire.

My question is, with everyone getting only around 13k out of their tires, has anyone talked to goodyear or GM about it and seen if they can wrangle up some free tires stating the poor wear of these. I would appreciate if you have had your tires replaced for free due to premature wear, how you went about doing that, and who you talked to in order to do it. (ie GM, Goodyear, or a dealership). Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:31 PM
exukboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think there can be any kind of warranty against tire wear or brake component wear for that matter. Soft compound or not, if you drive the car fairly hard and do indeed track it, they are gonna wear pretty quick. I don't drive my Z51 optioned vette hard at all and the tires have 3k on them and still look virtually brand new. In fact they still smell new!
Old 06-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by DrivnXcitment
Yes before everyone starts posting a dead horse getting beat, let me explain. I have read numerous posts about how we as C6 owners are getting poor to mediocre mileage out of the Goodyear Supercars (the ones on the Z51 equipped cars).

I also understand the fact that these are performance tires and will not last 50,000 miles like regular tires. I know their tread wear rating and that they are sticky. I know they don't last as long, but they should last longer than 13k miles. Thats just a bit weak for 400 dollars per tire.

My question is, with everyone getting only around 13k out of their tires, has anyone talked to goodyear or GM about it and seen if they can wrangle up some free tires stating the poor wear of these. I would appreciate if you have had your tires replaced for free due to premature wear, how you went about doing that, and who you talked to in order to do it. (ie GM, Goodyear, or a dealership). Thanks in advance.
I got 9,000 out of the first set of rears, 8,000 out of the 2nd. I should be putting the 3rd set on next week. I don't expect any more than that. While I don't spin my tires, I thoroughly use the pedal on the right all the time. Doubt GM will care. 17,000 miles on mine.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
tv_dir
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by exukboy
I don't think there can be any kind of warranty against tire wear or brake component wear for that matter. Soft compound or not, if you drive the car fairly hard and do indeed track it, they are gonna wear pretty quick. I don't drive my Z51 optioned vette hard at all and the tires have 3k on them and still look virtually brand new. In fact they still smell new!
Might I ask...Why are you smelling your tires? Sounds a bit strange to me.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:47 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the price to pay for a car with a suspension package biased towards performance grip. I don't feel that this is unacceptable. The other high performance sports cars are no better. With the other cars, the manufacturers say "take it or leave it." Some leave it. The good thing with Chevy is they offer the car with packages with longer wearing tires. Part of the reason the cost is so high is because they are runflats.

On my Z51 I'm on pace to get about 20K miles out of them.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:58 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have 8500 miles on my Z51 and my tires look and measure virtually new with no wear. I'm hoping for around 30000 miles out of them. I am very easy on the car which in turn should help the tires.

Last edited by VET4LES; 06-26-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:09 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

I never got 50,000 miles out of any tires regardless of the rating. As far as the tires on my Z51 equipped car, I don't care how many miles I get out of them. It is all about the fun factor, I don't care how much gas costs either for that matter and I don't care about the gas mileage. Fun, fun, fun!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:12 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I've got 12500 miles on my Z51 tires and the rears look good and the fronts are shot. I will definitely get a front end allignment with my next set and will probably buy the standard tires this time. I couldn't possibly notice a difference the way I drive. eddie
Old 06-22-2006, 09:26 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know why our Z51 "Supercar" tires wear so quickly.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I pissed and moaned about poor tire wear with my front C5 tires, needed replacemant at only 9000 miles. GY agreed and gave me a 2 for 1 sale. They attributed the poor wear to rubber compounding quality control. I only spoke to my local GY rep who helped me through it.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:56 PM
mshapiro
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters

Old 06-22-2006, 09:56 PM
conecrusher
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I've noticed about the Z51 tires is that they leave a lot of rubber dust on the flanks of the car after a little (well, maybe a little more than that) spirited driving.

Never noticed this on the C4 wearing those rock-hard Eagle F1's, so I'm assuming these Supercars on the C6 aren't going to set any mileage records.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by conecrusher
One thing I've noticed about the Z51 tires is that they leave a lot of rubber dust on the flanks of the car after a little (well, maybe a little more than that) spirited driving.

Never noticed this on the C4 wearing those rock-hard Eagle F1's, so I'm assuming these Supercars on the C6 aren't going to set any mileage records.
I see rubber on the rear diffuser all the time. Am I pushing the pedal too hard?

Last edited by Datawiz; 06-22-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Noleman
Racer

Originally Posted by achilds
I never got 50,000 miles out of any tires regardless of the rating. As far as the tires on my Z51 equipped car, I don't care how many miles I get out of them. It is all about the fun factor, I don't care how much gas costs either for that matter and I don't care about the gas mileage. Fun, fun, fun!

Amen brother! Corvette = fun in the corners... and use the pedal on the right for extra fun!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 10:53 PM
hazchris
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good year is veryclose to gov bailout time, they just sold off thier name brand tires ( all the ones they make and sell under different names) so dont look for them to help and GM is not too far behind. oh well .I HEARD firestone is making a tire in our size check it out
Old 06-22-2006, 10:58 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 06-23-2006, 01:17 AM
carfull
Advanced

Originally Posted by achilds

At some point, we must all escape our adult prisons and and grab some of the fun when it presents itself.

Get notified of new replies

To A new Z51 tire question

Old 06-23-2006, 01:47 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by calemasters

Old 06-23-2006, 04:15 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

No warranty for performance tires especially on track which the Z-51 is made for. Like giving out tickets at the Indy 500
Old 06-23-2006, 09:11 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try driving on the street with a set of M/T or Hoosier cheater slicks. By comparison to actual racing tires, the supercars hold up well. But they do use a soft sticky tread compound, and if you drive like a racing driver, they won't last long at all.

OTOH, the base runflats last and last. I have 30,000 miles on mine, and they still have about 80% tread left. I'm sure they'll make it to 50,000 miles. Cornering grip is about 90% of that of the supercar tires. If I were using them for competition, I'd lose. But since I only use them on the street (I have racing tires for the track), they do just fine.

Quick Reply: A new Z51 tire question