C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gm MYLink Roof Recall Notice

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Altc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gm MYLink Roof Recall Notice

Has anybody that falls within the Roof recall Vin numbers that signed up with GM mylink website been notified from the system.I signed up 2 months ago and I now know that I fall within the Vin recall but when I go to the site it tells me no recalls for my Vin.I thought this would be a real asset to track recalls but so far not impressed.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:12 PM
BlackOps
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Altc
Has anybody that falls within the Roof recall Vin numbers that signed up with GM mylink website been notified from the system.I signed up 2 months ago and I now know that I fall within the Vin recall but when I go to the site it tells me no recalls for my Vin.I thought this would be a real asset to track recalls but so far not impressed.
Me neither for my '06, but I really didn't expect to see it there before I got a notice in the mail, which I haven't received yet either.

But then again, my top has blown off yet, so no rush.

Don
Old 06-28-2006, 08:29 PM
BOB'S C6
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

That site sucks...I finally ,after a year, had to e-mail them to get my Vin listed (I had submitted a dozen times) and asked if mine was covered in the recall.I did get a reply that it was ,but have no formal letter yet.I guess we should not expect much as it is run by G.M. and we know haw they have been lately.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:32 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Default Rant about Mylink

Those of you who signed up with GM Mylink website and expected it to email you with stuff, THINK AGAIN.

It most probably has no record of you.

I have signed up and provided my personal information, including VIN number and purchase date no fewer than THREE times, and each time it recognized me for the session, but later on when I tried to log in, it doesn't remember me, my name, my security question, etc.

This is not unique to me, or my browser, or my cookie settings. If you look on CF search, it seems most (if not all?) people who seem to have gotten it to actually work had to CALL IN their information to get it 'turned on' for real. That's just dumb.

The site does not indicate there is any issue at all with your information, it does not say that it could not register you or store your data, it just lets you put stuff in as if all is well (I put all my maintenance data in TWICE, but was smart enough to not bother the last time), but it can't retrieve it, or recognise you to log you in, nor can it retrieve your credentials or security question.

Given the number of people who have had to have this enabled over the phone, it is simply IMPOSSIBLE that GM does not know the site is crippled, however, they still just let it go. I guess it's kind of like my painted roof problem... a) looks like it works superficially, b) but is actually fatally flawed, and, c) GM doesn't look to be moving promptly to resolve it.

If you are wondering why I don't just phone it in as others have done, I guess you could call it 'principal' of a wierd sort -- why the %$^&*@ should a person have to somehow KNOW that that is the only way to make the site work properly, and then go OUTSIDE of the net and the site and the stated instructions in order to get it operable?

Sorry, but this is the kind of stupidity that really gets my dander up -- brick and mortar business doofs often treat the Internet like McDonalds thinks about a happy meal toy pak: they want to say it's there, but it is for promotional goodwill generating purposes only, not functional reasons: "Hey, lookie, lookie -- we are hip and Internet aware! Aren't we cool?". I'm sure those happy meal toys are long lasting quality items, too. The idea this site is a serious, useful, maintained, operable, responsive business tool and an aid for the consumer is clearly a joke.

Bottom line?

GM mylink? Strictly amateur hour.

Okay, rant off.

Last edited by TrackNoob; 06-28-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:37 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I agree, MyGMlink is basically useless. I had to call to get signed up. It keeps changing my mileage to rediculous numbers...seems it estimates (very poorly) instead of using info. it can get from OnStar. It did update my maintence history when I took it to the dealer for warranty service, although the description of the service was not accurate.

I've received nothing from GM...either MYGMLink or by mail. Like pretty much everyone else, I'm in the VIN range.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:38 PM
midnite902
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Altc
My GM mylink says the same and I rerceived a recall letter and have already had my roof dealer inspected. No record on GM Mylink.

FYI all Corvettes 05 and 06 are on the list now.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:17 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Hmmm, I wonder how I got so lucky. The information about my roof recall showed up in myGMlink quite a while BEFORE I got the letter in the mail. Once I took my car to the dealership and had the work done, that information showed up on the website under Service History documenting the day the service was performed and what was done.

I wonder if the dealership has anything to do with how accurate or timely this information is updated in the system.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:58 PM
portmgr198
Burning Brakes

My 2006 is within the VIN range but according to MyGMLink site AND the call center, my Vette is not included in the recall. I dont think every Vette is going to get the notice.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:06 PM
jsk96z28
Pro

I cant believe all the complaining around here, maybe this really is an grouchy old mens club. Go trade your vette in on a nice little *** car with a better web site. Give me a break. Shut the heck up, take a driving course, and enjoy the best peice of machinery GM has ever produced OR, go get a Z4 and pretend....
Old 06-28-2006, 11:14 PM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I was on GM link with C5...worthless info. Decided to do again with C6...same result: a waste of time. THIS FORUM IS BEST RESOURSE I'VE FOUND !

In reference to roof recall, dealer repaired mine a month ago. In and out in one day. Few days ago got reminder from GM to have it repaired. They appear to be very serious on this issue which is a good thing. Mine seems to be okay now.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:17 PM
BlackOps
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by jsk96z28
. . . OR, go get a Z4 and pretend....
No thanks, I would rather have a web site that works like it's advertised to work, and a $50k+ car that I can drive around without worrying if it's going to fall apart . . . not too much for a cranky old guy to ask, I think.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:28 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

I cant believe all the complaining around here, maybe this really is an grouchy old mens club. Go trade your vette in on a nice little *** car with a better web site. Give me a break. Shut the heck up, take a driving course, and enjoy the best peice of machinery GM has ever produced OR, go get a Z4 and pretend....
Huh?

Why not read the thread title before you tell people on it to 'shut up'?

The thread is GM Mylink roof recall notice.

So, yes, this is the most absolutely outstanding hardware Chevy has produced. That's why I own one. But's that's not the point of the thread. If you want to cheer, there are already several other threads for crowing about "no problems yet!" for you to go register your contentment.

And driver ed is great, but just as off topic in this thread as the rest of your points.

So, if you don't mind, unless the OP feels it is an issue, maybe interested people can actually keep posting on their thoughts related to the thread title. MAybe you are you the Mylink web admin?

Thanks in advance!

Short off topic PS - as such an easy going guy, who doesn't brook complainers, I'll bet that even though I am pointing out these ripples in the front skin of your brand new 'vette, you probably won't care....

Last edited by TrackNoob; 06-29-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:56 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Default How's your new Z4?

What irony. One hardly knows where to begin.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:23 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Man, if there's one thing that ticks me off it's a complainer complaining about complainers!!

Oops.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:03 AM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

The site
Old 06-29-2006, 07:23 AM
tluck
Pro

Received a recall notice on my 05 which was built in Jan. 05, but I'm having my body shop do the repair because I've had the top painted a different color. No notice received for my 06 built the second week in Sept. 05. If and when I receive the recall notification, I will accept nothing less than a new top.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Altc
Racer

You need to read the thread B4 you post.I paid 56m for my car and expect some service you are probably one of those guys who has a problem and trades in his car.With that said most of us work our butts off to pay for these cars and try to take care of them using tools like the forum and advice from other members.I noticed that on your last post you told a forum member to buy a Lexus do you own Toyota stock?Maybe you should join a cooking class and bake yourself a nice cake with your Suzy home bake oven.

Last edited by Altc; 06-29-2006 at 08:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Gm MYLink Roof Recall Notice

Old 06-29-2006, 08:05 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

MYLink is more of a gimick. If I found out I had a recall there before I received the "offical" recall letter I'd be pissed.

Tom
Old 06-29-2006, 09:15 AM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
MYLink is more of a gimick. If I found out I had a recall there before I received the "offical" recall letter I'd be pissed.

Tom

Precisely.

And yet, for a contrast think about banking these days. Even if you personally may not use on line features, these days, I use it exclusively because it is more reliable, easier, more personal (really) and better than going to the corner bank.

I still find it amazing that I can go fill up the tank at the gas station, and grab some groceries, and by the time I get home, the record for those two transactions is often already on my account for me to view. Now that's responsive.

So if GM Mylink really was following that lead, and had:
* all the recall information
* the latest constraints
* gave you 'turn around times' for each status code state
* had little 'profiles' about the people who build your engine
* info on the latest GM promotions like zero percent
* a great car-finder tool like jeffhardy built right in (yes, I know the hardy info comes from GM, but why don't they make it accessable like his scripts do?!)
* had a copy posted of GM's corporate policy on gouging, so you can shove it in dealer's face
* had comments/forum from Bob Lutz or others
* Nav and other S/W upgrade/downloads
* Coupons, surveys, and tie-ins for driver's ed, accesories, tires, events, NCM museum special displays
* feedback to GM Engineering, call it a 'suggestion box'
now, tell me that could not be leveraged into a great thing and a differentiator of GM as a company.

But you know why that isn't the case, IMHO? Fear. They are actually liking the distance betweeen the unwashed populace and themselves. They like the latency of snail mail to give them damage control time. They like for local dealers to legitimately claim they 'just don't know' when asked about backorder status on repair parts, or the ETA for a roof fix, or whether your car is even affected (ATTENTION DEALERS --- EVERY C6 ever made is potentially affected, until proof exists in the alternate. There. How easy is that?)

Anyway, when online services became a decision point in chosing a bank, and also saved them tons of money on labor, suddenly they made it happen.

I sincerely doubt any major auto manufacturer would do the same, but it would be bold, and a h*** of a lot better than the perpetually broken site they have now, in place only to give lip service to having met the challenge of participating in the information age.

Last edited by TrackNoob; 06-29-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:50 AM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

My GM Link is a joke - It shows that poorly desinged online web based systems are no better than the information that they are fed. The General is a sick puppy right now.

Quick Reply: Gm MYLink Roof Recall Notice