C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning! GM Storage Bag Damaged My Painted Top

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:06 PM
tanko
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning! GM Storage Bag Damaged My Painted Top

Since receiving my Transparent Roof Panel and GM Corvette Storage Bag from Fred Bean in January I have stored the painted top in the Storage Bag, hanging on the wall in my garage. This is, as far as I know, in accordance with expected usage of the bag. When inserting the painted top into the storage bag I noticed several vinyl patches inside the bag, which I believe are there to strengthen and reinforce a) the two attachment point for the straps and 2) the bottom of the bag. I was a little concerned that the vinyl patches created the potential for scratching the top, but decided that GM must know what it's doing and slid the top on in (and in the correct orientation -- it only fits one way).

I've thoroughly enjoyed the transparent top so have kept it on ever since. Last week I decided to put the painted top back on for a change of appearance. Everything seemed fine as I reinstalled the top. But then I noticed that at the right angle the light revealed tiny pits in the clear coat, just where the vinyl patches would have contacted the top. A closeup photo of the damage is shown below (it wasn't easy to get a shot in which the damage was visible), along with some shots of the storage bag itself. The imperfections were not scratches, but looked like some sort of chemical reaction.

I tried to remove the pitting with a mild, liquid rubbing compound (3M) without success. The good news is that a local body shop that has done good work for me in the past was able to remove the damage with light sanding (2000 grit) and buffing. Whew! When I explained the circumstances to the body shop personnel I was told "Oh yeah, that can happen when plastic contacts the paint". Wish I'd known that in January!

In the future I plan to wrap the top (either painted or transparent) in a sheet before placing it in the bag. My transparent top is currently residing in the storage bag in that manner, although it likely would not suffer the same kind of damage. I'm not taking any chances!

Last edited by tanko; 07-12-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:28 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I destroyed the link to the first pic, it was way to big, please resize it.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:52 PM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

And I was thinking of buying one for storing my painted top.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Forvettes
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

I'm sorry for the damage to your top. Hope it comes back from the shop just like new. I recommend this type of storage for the tops. It is available from several vendors.

Storage Rack

Top stored. You can cover with blanket or other suitable cover.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:02 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

I cover my top with a vinyl bag I ordered from WCC, then hang it on hooks like the picture above, not from the bag itself. No damage to the painted top or scratches in the clear top when doing this so far. I didn't notice anything but soft liner inside the bag I got, no patches or anything rough inside as you described. Mine does not have handles on the bag or the Corvette logo, so it must be a different brand.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:21 PM
sheesnaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Forvettes]I'm sorry for the damage to your top. Hope it comes back from the shop just like new. I recommend this type of storage for the tops. It is available from several vendors.

Storage Rack

[QUOTE]

Where did you get that? I would love one of those, and I have searched, just never found it.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:13 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Vinyl out-gasses vinyl chloride, a corrosive substance when dissolved in water, and according to the state of California, a known carcinogen. Anyway, vinyl covers out-gas, and also promote condensation. A vinyl cover over the mill or lathe in your shop will ruin them in very short order (rust, rust, rust). A breatheable cotton cover is better.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:38 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
Vinyl out-gasses vinyl chloride, a corrosive substance when dissolved in water, and according to the state of California, a known carcinogen. Anyway, vinyl covers out-gas, and also promote condensation. A vinyl cover over the mill or lathe in your shop will ruin them in very short order (rust, rust, rust). A breatheable cotton cover is better.
WCC sell's them for $69 I plan on buying one.
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/ps-...anel-rack.aspx

Tom

Last edited by AFVETTE; 07-13-2006 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:51 AM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
WCC sell's tham for $69 I plan on buying one.
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/ps-...anel-rack.aspx

Tom
Nice, I think I'll buy one too. Thanks Tom.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 PM
TexJeep
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dark_phantom
Nice, I think I'll buy one too. Thanks Tom.

DITTO

Jeep
Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Forvettes
I'm sorry for the damage to your top. Hope it comes back from the shop just like new. I recommend this type of storage for the tops. It is available from several vendors...
Looks great, but with the potential for earthquakes here in CA, that idea really freaks me out. I keep picturing the top falling onto the hood of my car.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
tanko
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the information on the storage rack. I've just ordered one.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:39 AM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tanko,thanks for the graphic pictures of what could happen to the painted top in stored in the vinyl bag.I had just put mine in last night! I placed my order to WCC for the storage rack ASAP.The painted top will now occupy that pesky empty spot on my garage wall that has yet to have any Corvette accessories attached to it.Two problems solved!

Get notified of new replies

To Warning! GM Storage Bag Damaged My Painted Top

Quick Reply: Warning! GM Storage Bag Damaged My Painted Top