C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tow their C6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:26 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone tow their C6?

I'm moving to Florida in two months and was thinking of saving some money and towing my Vette with my Tahoe. It looks like the flat bed car hauler from U-Haul won't work. Their website says it's to low for the Vette. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:59 AM
aggie88
Drifting

Originally Posted by bunk22
I'm moving to Florida in two months and was thinking of saving some money and towing my Vette with my Tahoe. It looks like the flat bed car hauler from U-Haul won't work. Their website says it's to low for the Vette. Anyone have experience with this?
Two problems with most car trailers:
1) Too steep of a rake for the front bumper to clear when driving up the ramp.
2) Doors may not clear the wheel humps on the trailer, so you cannot open the doors to get in/out.

My suggestion is to ask them to let you try it first.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:38 AM
bunk22
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aggie88
Two problems with most car trailers:
1) Too steep of a rake for the front bumper to clear when driving up the ramp.
2) Doors may not clear the wheel humps on the trailer, so you cannot open the doors to get in/out.

My suggestion is to ask them to let you try it first.
What you said is what the website said. I can ship the car via Exotic or DAS but I'm trying to keep the cost down.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:31 PM
sonicbaloo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I would recommend calling another guy. He does car hauling from coast to coast. He uses a 2 car enclosed hauler. PM me for his info.

Chad
Old 07-13-2006, 01:50 PM
TonyC6Go
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2 words for you: ROAD TRIP!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:57 PM
VetteR1
Pro

I would personally drive it down, just wax it and if you have a 3m clear bra that would help! Somehow I don't trust transport companies they end up scratching the car.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:21 PM
mbonness
Pro

What you said is what the website said. I can ship the car via Exotic or DAS but I'm trying to keep the cost down.
I would recommend against using DAS, when they shipped my car they left muddy footprints all over the seats and interior. So I guess you could say my experience with them was not very good.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:10 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mbonness
I would recommend against using DAS, when they shipped my car they left muddy footprints all over the seats and interior. So I guess you could say my experience with them was not very good.
I've actually used DAS before without issue, twice actually. I used a company called 4A or something to that effect and they were horrible. They shipped my Cobra and were 21 days late. On top of that, my Cobra had been driven 41 miles through mud. I got the car with mud in the wheel wells, muddy footprints on the floorboard and my hood was not closed all the way so I got mud all over the engine. I was stupid for not checking them out in the BBB and once I did, it wasn't good. Something like 180 complaints in one year.

I've 3 cars so driving the Vette isn't an option. I will tow it or ship it.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:34 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have seen a C6 towed on a uhaul. Post in the drag race section, someone will have experience with this there.

I watched him load it at the track. He did not have any problems, he used some approach type ramps to get on the trailer.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:08 AM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone tow their C6

NO!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:57 AM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes I tow mine all over texas to the race track.

My trailer has a dove tail setup, so the angle of insertion is superb for getting in their. I also take the targa out and put it in the trunk, then pull the car into the trailer and HOP OUT the top (don't try it on a full stomach). I'm 6'5" so doing it any other way is like "jim carey in pet detective coming out the rhino"

I've seen people arrive at the track with all sort's of car's on trailers. The easiest thing to do with a uhaul trailer is get some 2"x12"x10' foot runners and drive it up on their. You'll find lowered car's won't make it up on alignment machines either, but with some 2"x12"x10' - you can slip it in.

JK

ps - to avoide the wheel hub, hop out the top, then put the targa back in!! Save your door, take a minute or two!!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone tow their C6?

Quick Reply: Anyone tow their C6?