C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6,666 mile C6 Mountain Tour – Long Island to Wyoming, Montana, Alberta... with PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:08 PM
N2DEEP
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-20-2006, 07:28 PM
2kvetmy
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Joy Of A Lifetime

Great Pics
Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Savage C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spectacular scenery! Beautiful car....sounds like a great time.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:58 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

You ought to submit this to Corvette Magazine or any of the car mags. Excellent write-up and gorgeous scenery shot in well-composed images. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-20-2006, 09:30 PM
RADRB8
Pro

Fabulous Pics....Thank you

Old 07-20-2006, 09:57 PM
fatboytc88
Burning Brakes

did you do the write up of touring ct about 6 mo ago. i remember a silver c6 and the author was from ny or nj .great job. what did you spend for motels , gas and food if you don't mind me asking. i would like to plan a similar trip.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:34 PM
BuckGW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us.

Beautiful Pics!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:09 AM
leimomi
Instructor

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Really gorgeous photos and a great write-up. Thanks for posting. Your trip was a lot like ours. We took 30 days to drive from the NCM to Seattle in our new Vette (6,733 miles), covering scenic roads all the way. I'll post photos and a description when I get a chance.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:35 AM
leimomi
Instructor

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Maui
...I am heading over to Kauia in about a week. Looked on line but could not find any where to rent a vette.
There's a rental place in Kapaa, across from the Safeway that rents some exotic cars (Viper, maybe an older Vette...not sure). I couldn't find them in the phone book but this might be the place
<www.tropicars.com>
Old 07-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks again for all the compliments on the photos, etc.

Just to answer a few of the questions... yes, that is Logan's Pass of Glacier National Park in some of the photos, and yes, that is also Chief Joseph Highway of the Beartooth Mountain Pass in some of the photos.

Later on when I have some more time I'll outline the exact roads that were used, showing where the photos were taken. But, in sum, just about any road in Wyoming or Montana noted as "scenic" in whatever altlas you have is going to be amazing. You really can't go wrong. Pick up your atlas, look for the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming, the Tetons and/or Beartooth Range in Montana (not far from Yellowstone), and Glacier National Park in Montana... and all roads going through these places will be guaranteed great rides.

It's all excellent... that's why this general area is so cool... you can drive for hundreds of miles and the twisties and incredible scenery just never ends.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

A few more shots below... will add to original post too.

The canyon area shots are from Wyoming, just west of the Big Horn Mountains.

The vintage bus shot... Glacier National Park uses vintages buses (originally manufactured by White) that were refurbished by Ford... they run on Propane and are in constant use everyday, climbing up and down steep mountain grades.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:26 PM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I rode on one of those White Busses several years ago at Glacier. All I remember is that they were built in the late 30's with 30's technology, were being driven on the Going to the Sun road which has dramatic drop offs and is very narrow and the bus was driven by a 19 year old college student working a summer job! The park is one of the prettiest in the world. Not sure I would take that bus again!
Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 PM
VETTEWIZZ
Instructor

Default Those are some of the best road shots I've ever seen

I'm jealous! would love to take a road trip through mountains like that. The winding road looks amazing and best of all no traffic. You must have had a blast.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:07 PM
xc5r
Intermediate

Great Pics!! I'm lucky that they are all in my back yard!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PillRoller
...As an advanced amateur photographer, I thought your pics were excellent and was wondering the details of the camera you used, if you don't mind sharing that info...
Thanks!

Camera was a Nikon D70S digital SLR with stock Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm lens. I pretty much shot in program mode the whole time, nothing fancy. I think I had the camera set to ISO 400 the whole time. Set and forget.

Most of the time the lighting conditions were terrible, either not enough natural light, or too much sun. That's the problem with landscape shots... you need to deal with whatever lighting conditions you are given. Can be frustrating.

I think the reason some of the shots came out decent is simply because the scenery itself was just so visually amazing. You almost CAN'T take a bad picture out there. Everywhere you look is just overwhelming beauty.

The only thing I can take any credit for is just spending a tiny bit of time trying to frame the shots well. In many cases, I'd cross the road and climb up a steep hillside (getting all dirty and sometimes falling on my a$$ ) in attempts to get into a position that I felt would yield the "best" perspective of that particular scene... especially ones that included the car, etc.

I'm actually quite new to digital photography, I still have a lot to learn about the whole digital thing. I've been using Nikon film SLRs for years and swore I'd never go digital until last fall when a photo developer lost a roll of my film... very important stuff, gone forever... I was so burned up about it I went out and bought a Nikon digital SLR a week later and my film camera hasn't been out of its case since.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 PM
PillRoller
Racer

Originally Posted by Vet
Thanks!

Camera was a Nikon D70S digital SLR with stock Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm lens. I pretty much shot in program mode the whole time, nothing fancy. I think I had the camera set to ISO 400 the whole time. Set and forget.

Most of the time the lighting conditions were terrible, either not enough natural light, or too much sun. That's the problem with landscape shots... you need to deal with whatever lighting conditions you are given. Can be frustrating.

I think the reason some of the shots came out decent is simply because the scenery itself was just so visually amazing. You almost CAN'T take a bad picture out there. Everywhere you look is just overwhelming beauty.

The only thing I can take any credit for is just spending a tiny bit of time trying to frame the shots well. In many cases, I'd cross the road and climb up a steep hillside (getting all dirty and sometimes falling on my a$$ ) in attempts to get into a position that I felt would yield the "best" perspective of that particular scene... especially ones that included the car, etc.

I'm actually quite new to digital photography, I still have a lot to learn about the whole digital thing. I've been using Nikon film SLRs for years and swore I'd never go digital until last fall when a photo developer lost a roll of my film... very important stuff, gone forever... I was so burned up about it I went out and bought a Nikon digital SLR a week later and my film camera hasn't been out of its case since.
Thanks so much for that! Like you, I've been with film based SLR photography since the 70's. I have huge boxes full of negatives and less than desirable prints to go with them. That's exactly why I switched to digital. It hasn't been easy. I have 3 digital cameras, none of which I like that much. I took great pics of my last show vehicle, all film based. The Vette makes me want to dust off the digital stuff and persue another avenue. Old dogs and new tricks always applies. Thanks for the input and I hope you and all our members keep the pics coming. A picture is worth AT LEAST a thousand words.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:01 PM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'17

Wow!!! GREAT POST for a change!!!! Thanks for sharing. Awsome pics

Get notified of new replies

To 6,666 mile C6 Mountain Tour – Long Island to Wyoming, Montana, Alberta... with PICS!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:29 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Default USA and a new Corvette

Ureal ! Thanks for the GREAT Story and fantastic picture. Gota Love the USA and Corvettes.Save the Wave.>George
Old 07-24-2006, 11:29 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Default USA and a new Corvette

Unreal ! Thanks for the GREAT Story and fantastic pictures. Gotta Love the USA and Corvettes.Save the Wave.>George
Old 07-24-2006, 11:31 PM
PillRoller
Racer

Originally Posted by lt1george
Unreal ! Thanks for the GREAT Story and fantastic pictures. Gotta Love the USA and Corvettes.Save the Wave.>George
You can say that again, George! Uh oh! It looks like you did!

Quick Reply: 6,666 mile C6 Mountain Tour – Long Island to Wyoming, Montana, Alberta... with PICS!