C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs. BMW Z3?

Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 AM
DRJZ1974
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 vs. BMW Z3?

We recently sold our BMW Z3 to purchase an 07' c6 vert. One of the most common comments I have gotten from friends and other people I know is: "Do you still have the Z3" I tell them "No, sold it to buy this" People often respond with "Why?" I tell them that the vette is 3X the Z3 for performance, ride ect. and they act like they don't believe me or don't understand. I don't get it, I don't know if people have been watching too many James Bond movies (it was the same color as the one in the movie) or if they are saying it out of some weird spite. To drive both, you would know the Z3 is not even on the same page as the Vette (the vette is also about 25K more for the loaded vert) The wife and I are starting to get annoyed by the comments. Anyone else get comments like this when they purchased their vette?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:53 AM
eagles6998
Melting Slicks

Soo many people know nothing about cars! It amazes me!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:56 AM
CMacZ06
Racer

It's most likely the fact that it's a BMW. Pereception is unfortunately that BMW is a better car.

But anybody and everybody should love a Vette.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Driver_WT
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by DRJZ1974
We recently sold our BMW Z3 to purchase an 07' c6 vert. One of the most common comments I have gotten from friends and other people I know is: "Do you still have the Z3" I tell them "No, sold it to buy this" People often respond with "Why?" I tell them that the vette is 3X the Z3 for performance, ride ect. and they act like they don't believe me or don't understand. I don't get it, I don't know if people have been watching too many James Bond movies (it was the same color as the one in the movie) or if they are saying it out of some weird spite. To drive both, you would know the Z3 is not even on the same page as the Vette (the vette is also about 25K more for the loaded vert) The wife and I are starting to get annoyed by the comments. Anyone else get comments like this when they purchased their vette?
Still have my BMW Z4 (although it is for sale). I get the same comment a lot. Some people just like the BMW more than the Corvette. Obviously the hp is much better on the Corvette, brakes are better, I would say the handling is close to equal (Z4 has Michelin PS2 tires which is cheating a little), but quality and reliability are less on the Corvette. The Corvette has been to the dealer more times in 16 months than the BMW has been in 40 months. My wife would prefer to keep the Z4.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

I sold a 99 Z3 Coupe that I had bought new. Loved that car and hated to see it driven away by it's new owner. But all feelings of remorse were not only eliminated but overwhelmingly replaced with the joy of owning a new C6. The two cars are in completely different classes. Was at a recent autocross event and was talking to a owner of Z3 M Coupe and told him of my move to the C6 and his first reaction was, "You moved up!" I just smiled and nodded. Car people know the difference.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
ketchup
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The people that say those comments are car snobs. They buy cars based on status. Don't worry about it. We all know you have the better car.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Zuntov
Drifting

BMW owners are even snobs to fellow owners.

Have a friend that has an M3 and was invited to join a day drive with a Z3 club.

He claims he was snubbed by most of the Z3 members and several asked him who invited him and why he was he was driving with them.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:17 AM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

thats what marketing will do for you. Put your latest and greatest in a popular movie, instant recognition. GM needs to severly think about using the Vette as an image builder and look for some product placements.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:29 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

The unwashed will often mistake the Z3 for a Z8.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:35 AM
C64BC
Pro

yeah, the old perception vs. reality dilemma. I get that a lot..."why did you buy your vette instead of the Z4 or M3 BMW"? I'll just smile and ask...you really don't know cars do you? it's not worth trying to educate someone who makes a statement like that, because their perception will not change.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Tire Guy
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

I read an article recently of a poll done on what drivers, by vehicle, are the most rude. Yep, BMW.

Not saying they all are, I just seem to notice it too.

Good friend of mine has an 05 Z4. His comment was, why would you want a Vette? Mine back was why wouldn't I want a Vette?

The Tire Guy
Old 07-25-2006, 12:03 PM
SH_Eng
Instructor

We had a '97 Z3 before getting our '05 coupe. Enjoyed the Z3 but then my wife began to feel vulnerable in it because it was so small. She was afraid an 18 wheeler wouldn't see her (she didn't like looking up at their hubcaps) and run over her. Now I sometimes ask her if she'd want the BMW back instead of the C6. She always says "No way." She's addicted to the power in the C6 now, it looks "meaner" and she had more trunk space for shopping. Besides, when we belonged to a BMW club, they thought they were better than everyone else. The Corvette club we belong to now has the greatest bunch of "regular" people.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:06 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ketchup
The people that say those comments are car snobs. They buy cars based on status. Don't worry about it. We all know you have the better car.
... right on target!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Originally Posted by ketchup
Old 07-25-2006, 12:08 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rothchilds
thats what marketing will do for you. Put your latest and greatest in a popular movie, instant recognition. GM needs to severly think about using the Vette as an image builder and look for some product placements.
Well we did have a vette in... "CARS"..
Old 07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
sirgordon
Advanced

I had an 00 M Roadster in Estoril Blue - car was sick, I was bananas over it but when my Bullmastiff grew to large for it I got myself an M5. After a year with that car I decided i couldnt drive a sedan any longer. I absolutely required a convertible. I could have gone back to any of the bmw roadsters, or nearly any convertible on the market for that matter. Do you know why i didn't?

I take an enormous amount of pride in buying american!!!

besides that, there isnt another car on the market that can touch the Vette as a package of performance, style and value. anyone that thinks a vette is a downgrade from a Z3, or any car, is a fool and needs to be dealt with. But I guess I'm preaching to the choir on this one.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:35 PM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRJZ1974
One of the most common comments I have gotten from friends and other people I know is: "Do you still have the Z3" I tell them "No, sold it to buy this" People often respond with "Why?"
Similar experience when I sold my '04 330Ci for the C6 last year.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 vs. BMW Z3?

Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

There seem to be two camps of thought: Those who don't know squat about cars and have built-in prejudices against Vettes, and those who do know about cars and understand what a great-performing car it is regardless of price. In the former category are people who think Vette owners are all middle-aged, balding, fat men who wear lots of gold chains and pinkie rings and smoke fat cigars. Some of us may be but that does not define the car. There are also those people who don't accept it as a great car because it has a fiberglass body. That prejudice is losing ground lately due to the fact that carbon fiber is considered an exotic material and it is not so different from fiberglass.

Some people won't be impressed by a Vette because it is not Italian, German or English.

So, if you bought your car hoping to be the envy of everyone and to impress the world, you'll find that there are plenty of ignorant people out there who simlpy do not appreciate the Corvette and dismiss it without even giving it a good, hard look. Screw em.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
falco84
Racer

Originally Posted by Driver_WT
Still have my BMW Z4 (although it is for sale). I get the same comment a lot. Some people just like the BMW more than the Corvette. Obviously the hp is much better on the Corvette, brakes are better, I would say the handling is close to equal (Z4 has Michelin PS2 tires which is cheating a little), but quality and reliability are less on the Corvette. The Corvette has been to the dealer more times in 16 months than the BMW has been in 40 months. My wife would prefer to keep the Z4.
It's amazing how some people have never ending troubles with corvettes while others have next to zero. I've had three corvettes since April 2003, and only one dealer visit besides oil changes. I guess I'm lucky, all the eurocars I've had and my sister and stepdad have had were the ones always busted.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zuntov
BMW owners are even snobs to fellow owners.

Have a friend that has an M3 and was invited to join a day drive with a Z3 club.

He claims he was snubbed by most of the Z3 members and several asked him who invited him and why he was he was driving with them.
You have to be kidding!!! The M3 (late model) is three times the car the Z3 is. And the Vette is twice the car the M3 is--although a completely different class/type of car. Z3 and Z4s are very pretty, well made cars, imo, but hardly high performance sports cars. They are very pleasant GTs. (The M models will improve that, by the first articles I've read, but still won't run with Vettes.) The best car in that class is the XK8--not the new Taurus crap look, but the first one. Absolutely gorgeous, but no sports car--not even the XKR. Just a painfully beautiful GT.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 vs. BMW Z3?