C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette build quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 07:08 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Corvette build quality

I’ve been reading through the many posts regarding the quality issues experienced by forum members. What I’m curious about is why there seems to be such a wide disparity in quality between cars. I took delivery of mine in April 06 and have 3700 totally trouble free miles. Absolutely not one thing wrong with my car and I can tell you I’m very AR about quality issues. It might self destruct in the next week but I really doubt it. I know that I’m not alone because others have reported many more trouble free miles than mine. On the other hand some owners are experiencing a host of minor and major problems. Setting aside (no pun intended) the top problem why do members think there is such a wide quality discrepancy between cars? Is it poor assembly, poor engineering, poor quality parts or a combination? I suspect its poor or sub quality parts more than anything. I can’t believe the build quality is so different between the cars themselves? It’s apparent that some folks clearly got brand new cars with way to many quality issues. In some cases the dealer has had the car more than the owner. It’s the lack of consistent quality that troubles me when it comes to most American cars. I find it hard to believe it’s the autoworkers on a car like the Corvette. Almost everyone that’s taken museum delivery raves how dedicated and enthusiastic the BG workers are. Do you really believe these people mange to build 10 quality vettes then suddenly toss in several lemons before building more quality vettes? I don’t think so. Most of the engineering looks good compared to my foreign cars. So what’s left is parts that seem to fail way to often. I closely examined my 4Runner and G35 and simply don’t see much difference in materials. On the other hand it’s very unusual for things like rear ends to leak, A/C systems to stop working or transmissions to fail on those cars. I sure don’t have the answer but wonder what other vette owners think…..
Old 07-28-2006, 07:13 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree with the poor quality parts. They come from all around the world and who knows how the quality control is at some of these places. That's probably going to be the answer for the DBS.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:36 PM
WD401958
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
I’ve been reading through the many posts regarding the quality issues experienced by forum members. What I’m curious about is why there seems to be such a wide disparity in quality between cars. I took delivery of mine in April 06 and have 3700 totally trouble free miles. Absolutely not one thing wrong with my car and I can tell you I’m very AR about quality issues. It might self destruct in the next week but I really doubt it. I know that I’m not alone because others have reported many more trouble free miles than mine. On the other hand some owners are experiencing a host of minor and major problems. Setting aside (no pun intended) the top problem why do members think there is such a wide quality discrepancy between cars? Is it poor assembly, poor engineering, poor quality parts or a combination? I suspect its poor or sub quality parts more than anything. I can’t believe the build quality is so different between the cars themselves? It’s apparent that some folks clearly got brand new cars with way to many quality issues. In some cases the dealer has had the car more than the owner. It’s the lack of consistent quality that troubles me when it comes to most American cars. I find it hard to believe it’s the autoworkers on a car like the Corvette. Almost everyone that’s taken museum delivery raves how dedicated and enthusiastic the BG workers are. Do you really believe these people mange to build 10 quality vettes then suddenly toss in several lemons before building more quality vettes? I don’t think so. Most of the engineering looks good compared to my foreign cars. So what’s left is parts that seem to fail way to often. I closely examined my 4Runner and G35 and simply don’t see much difference in materials. On the other hand it’s very unusual for things like rear ends to leak, A/C systems to stop working or transmissions to fail on those cars. I sure don’t have the answer but wonder what other vette owners think…..
Purchaced my c6 on 7/30/05 from Vandergriff chevrolet in Arlington,Tx
The service dept has bent over backwards to fix my problems.
The best service dept. I have ever used!
1250 miles roof assembly replaced 8/27/05
1250 miles entire back glass assembly replace(warped) 8/27/05
1250 miles back hatch weather striping replaced 8/27/05
1250 miles front door insert L/h replaced 8/27/05
1250 miles front door insert R/h replaced 8/27/05
1499 miles roof assembly replaced 11/29/05
11300 miles roof assembly replaced (currently waiting on roof) 7/21/06
Quality control must have been on coffee break
By the way I am no troll. I have copy of service record If you
would like to see it.

Last edited by WD401958; 07-28-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:42 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by WD401958
Purchaced my c6 on 7/30/05.
1250 miles roof assembly replaced 8/27/05
1250 miles entire back glass assembly replace(warped) 8/27/05
1250 miles back hatch weather striping replaced 8/27/05
1250 miles front door insert L/h replaced 8/27/05
1250 miles front door insert R/h replaced 8/27/05
1499 miles roof assembly replaced 11/29/05
11300 miles roof assembly replaced (currently waiting on roof) 7/21/06
Quality control must have been on coffee break
By the way I am no troll. I have copy of service record If you
would like to see it.
I have no reason at all to doubt that list! I would be spastic with that much ... my question do you believe it was workmanship, engineering or poor quality parts? It sure looks like poor quality parts but you'd know better.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:47 PM
blkvette1
Pro

4 months old and 6,500 miles later (April 4 delivery) - not a HINT of any issue. With the 3M Clear Bra all over the front it is no suprise that it STILL looks like I just picked it up - absolutely beautiful - not a mark, or problem, anywhere.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:50 PM
MyRedC6
Racer

Had one small door rattle that was covered in a TSB. Other than that perfect for 7500 miles
Old 07-28-2006, 07:51 PM
BOB'S C6
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I think G.M. cut way too many corners to "make the car affordable".This has been the worst car (for issues that should not have been happening) that I have ever owned! I have owned over 75 cars in my driving years and the closest that ever came to this was the last NEW G.M. I ever purchased ,which was a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, which the dealer ended up getting back in less than 3 months.I guess that's why I've stayed away from G.M. cars for all these years!I have always wanted a new Corvette for all my life and now that I finally got it I wish I had stayed with used ones that had all the bugs worked out of the first year of ownership. Note to self: Never ,ever buy another new G.M. product period! Let some one else have these headaches.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:56 PM
KHAN
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver85
I think G.M. cut way too many corners to "make the car affordable".This has been the worst car (for issues that should not have been happening) that I have ever owned! I have owned over 75 cars in my driving years and the closest that ever came to this was the last NEW G.M. I ever purchased ,which was a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, which the dealer ended up getting back in less than 3 months.I guess that's why I've stayed away from G.M. cars for all these years!I have always wanted a new Corvette for all my life and now that I finally got it I wish I had stayed with used ones that had all the bugs worked out of the first year of ownership. Note to self: Never ,ever buy another new G.M. product period! Let some one else have these headaches.
u have owned SEVENTY FIVE cars..!!!!
r u a car dealer..?
OK.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:03 PM
cg205
Racer

Don't get me wrong...I absolutely love my Vette. I haven't had it back to the dealer yet....4 months, 6000 miles.....but I have a number of things that need attention. A broken cord in the vert headliner, dashlight dimmer that works intermittantly, XM quits after about a half hour (but I'm not renewing it anyhow), dye worn off driver's side bolster, assorted rattles, and a few other minor issues. I have fixed several problems myself such as a bad top sensor in the trunk partition to avoid the trip to the dealer.

I traded a '03 GT 'stang vert for the Vette, and can honestly say that in 40 months and 38,000 miles, I never had to take the 'stang back to Ford for anything. Bought an '03 Vibe for the wife when I got the 'stang, and it has never been back to the dealer either.

I have to say the quality on the Vette is suspect. Nothing major so far, and I have my fingers crossed, especially after hearing what some members have gone through.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:09 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

My car had zero quality issues (if you don't count having to get a new transmission) in 3150 miles of driving. I think some of it is the quality of parts supplied by vendors and to a lesser degree, the assembly process. Some cars have large gaps between body panels while others have uniformly small gaps. That's caused by the installer, not the parts themselves. When the C6 was being given its final shakedown before full production began, I recall that one of the test mules completely died before being driven at Nurburgring and the part that failed was a fuel pump impeller that was 1/100th of a milimeter out of spec. For those of us metrically-challenged, 1 MM is about 1/20th or an inch, give or take, and this 10-cent plastic part was 1/100th of that off, and that's all it took to prevent it from working. The designers gave the correct specs to the vendors but the vendors don't always deliver exactly what's called for. Sadly, by the time they improve all these hit-&-miss errors, the next generation will be on the scene and the process will start all over again.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my failed tranny was just an anomaly and that I'll get several years of trouble-free driving out of my DSOM vert.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Picked up my '06 in Jan.06... Just turned 5k miles... no problems!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Let's all get back together on this question when we all have 10,000 miles or more on our C6s.

NONE of us except WD401958 have enough experience with the car yet to make a valid comment.

Tom
Old 07-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Built on 4/19 took delivery on 4/28......

The first week of driving I could not hear a squeak or a rattle now with just 2400mi I have a rattle coming from the (top) of the driver side door and over my left shoulder there is an annoying rattle coming from the plastic area were the seat belt comes out??? The only other problem is the stupid ashtray door .

Other than those minor things everything else is holding up so far so good! I will wait a little longer and if something else pops up I will have the dealership address everything at once!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:43 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Cars are just like businesses. You always hear the negative side before you ever hear anything positive. It' easier to b*tch than to praise. Had mine for 18 months with one "minor" problem.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:51 PM
WD401958
Advanced

Originally Posted by saplumr
Cars are just like businesses. You always hear the negative side before you ever hear anything positive. It' easier to b*tch than to praise. Had mine for 18 months with one "minor" problem.
2005 -2007 I think thats enough time for all of the positive things to be said,If any. How much time do you need?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:58 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by WD401958
2005 -2007 I think thats enough time for all of the positive things to be said,If any. How much time do you need?

"I" don't need any time. The '07 is just starting to trickle out, so disregard that. I believe there are far more satisfied C6 owners than not. There's not need to complain if you're satisfied. So..don't speak for all of us!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Chipps
Instructor

In general all cars are the same. I have owned several Mercedes-Benz and Lexus cars as well as this single Corvette. Some of them were great, some were junk.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette build quality

Old 07-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Deep Silver C6 Z51
Burning Brakes

Wonderful car. No problems.

Where can you buy anything that compares for the money?

Nowhere!!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

My take on this:

Most C6's with major problems are touched by engineering snafus.
DBS and roofs obviously come to mind first.
And these show up typically as a few out of a batch of 10 cars having the problem, but most don't.
But a few out each 10 cars = 1000's of problem cars.
Without the internet and this forum we'd probably never know much about any of it. (Unless you hung out with a few dozen or more C6 Vetters!)

I suspect the Corvette is fairly similar in quality to most modern cars.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:07 PM
SEVENTH VETTE
Instructor

2300 miles the car has been trouble free, not one problem so far. Fit and finish is perfect in every way. Hope I did not jinks myself.

Quick Reply: Corvette build quality