C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C6 or Porsche Cayman S???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:28 PM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Corvette C6 or Porsche Cayman S???

hi all, my brother is looking to buy a new car, he loves my my vette but hes's consdering other options before he places an order for an 07 vette. He loves the Porsche Cayman S, but cant decide does anyone have any experience with the Porsche Cayman S??? Positive or negative feedback welcomed

Shaan
Old 07-29-2006, 09:32 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts

Cant go wrong either way. The Porsche is sweet but no vert, sunroof or targa, otherwise I would get one..
Old 07-29-2006, 09:36 PM
CBB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Cant go wrong either way. The Porsche is sweet but no vert, sunroof or targa, otherwise I would get one..
Old 07-29-2006, 09:41 PM
2BBVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by shaan
hi all, my brother is looking to buy a new car, he loves my my vette but hes's consdering other options before he places an order for an 07 vette. He loves the Porsche Cayman S, but cant decide does anyone have any experience with the Porsche Cayman S??? Positive or negative feedback welcomed

Shaan
yeah I smoked one the other day; destroyed that glorified volkswagon..
Old 07-29-2006, 09:46 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Porsche is gorgeous, but too tight inside...I'm 6-1 190 lbs. Corvettes have much more room.......

Old 07-29-2006, 09:50 PM
shawn h.
Drifting

Originally Posted by ronssito
The Porsche is gorgeous, but too tight inside...I'm 6-1 190 lbs. Corvettes have much more room.......

There is nothing georgous about the Cayman!! To add, it looks like a girly car!!
The following users liked this post:
JohnnieUtah (12-22-2020)
Old 07-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Altc
Racer

It looks great until you add options which puts it into the 71m range compare it against the C6 with the 3lt package.Get a loaded C6 save the 12 grand and then hunt a Cayman down and smoke it.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:17 PM
johnei
Racer

Porsche reliability has not been all its cracked up to be. Their switch to a water cooled engine didn't go well and the occasional things I've read on www.pca.org suggested that for the entire run of 1st gen Boxsters, 996s and the first few years of 997 Carreras all had rear main seal problems in the flat sixes. The warranty has covered these problems as they occur but second and third owners can potentially face a big repair bill.
These issues and a few others kept me from seriously considering a boxster. I also decided that it was unlikely these problems would show up in a small block.

Maybe someone who follows Porsches and their technical problems will correct me or say it doesn't apply to the Caymans but just reading the technical section of pca.org under engine problems makes you wonder.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:29 PM
adaca
Instructor

Argh, the Cayman vs Corvette question.

Gotta trade rides with my friend sometime.

I'm a transplanted Boxster owner. For all intents and purposes, the Cayman is a Boxster with a roof and more aggressive handling. This is from the blurb on the 2006 basic Boxster. For that matter, since the 2007 Boxster S comes with the same engine as the Cayman S, you might want to consider that as well given the lower price, and possibly greater discount on the Boxster S.

http://wheeltalk.fancal.net/?p=6

Can't go wrong with either. My '97 Boxster is still among the sweetest handling vehicle money can buy. The new Boxster and Cayman take that up yet another notch. While the C6 has clearly higher limits, and lots more power than the Cayman S, I won't be surprised that most drivers would drive the Cayman S as fast as the C6 on the track, given it is an easier vehicle to drive fast in.

For me, I'm very satisfied that I'm getting lots of bells-and-whistles (read: gadgets) and power for the money. And at the same time, the C6 is still a pretty refined ride.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:32 PM
black783
Racer

Porsche is a great but so is the Vette. Car & Driver did a comparo between the Cayman and BMW M3. It was funny in the article they referred to folks wondering why the Vette wasn't included and they basically punted...I think it had to do with comparing the Vette to the new Mustang Cobra the month before.

Anyway, I have owned 2 911s and IMO Porsche has gotten over priced for what you get. By the time he signs on the dotted line he might as well bought a Z06.

And I do have to admit,again in IMO, putting the hardtop on the Boxster has made for an ugly car...but to each his own.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:40 PM
BlueSpeed
Pro

they are totally different cars. Porsche has a more refined fit and finish, the power is strong and smooth, great handling, awesome brakes, the service at the dealer is top notch and the service reps are usually very knowledgable about the products, but service and repairs on the porsche is much more expensive, the cayman is a more exclusive car since not too many produced, I think its the nicest looking porsche, the cayman doesn't come standard w/ litronics (HID) lights, long list of options raises the cost of the car, the cayman non S rolls next week

corvette on the other hand is about power and performance at a much lower cost, its a bigger car, more comfortable seats, however fit and finish on both the interior and exterior leaves a bit to be desired compared to the porsche as well as the service at the dealerships, but then again a vette is at least $10-12K less, watch out for the mods though, it could add lots $$$

tough choices ahead, cant go wrong on either
Old 07-29-2006, 10:56 PM
BlueSpeed
Pro

johnei,

i have a boxster w/40k m, never had a rear main seal leak, although it has been a problem for some, great running car and very reliable as a daily driver, but even minor repairs are very expensive b/c the name "porsche" just doubles the labor rate and parts costs.
The cayman is said not to have the same main seal design so shouldn't have a problem.

all cars have problems, even porsches however porsche is really good about taking care of you under warranty, service is usually good at the dealers
Old 07-29-2006, 11:39 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Corvette.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Johnny Por'sha
Advanced

Originally Posted by shaan

Shaan
The C6 is better in straight line speed. Every other performance number is in favor of the Porsche, to include track times (The Ring: 8:15 C6 vs. 8:11 Cayman S). If you are going to track the car I would take the Porsche, the vette if you are just going fast between stop lights.

What people that have never driven A Cayman will not appreciate is what happens INSIDE the car. It truly is the most amazing sound, feel and driving experience you can own this side of an F430. There is also the cachet of owning something you will not see on every corner. It also had the best quality, as well as the highest prestige in the US this year, not to mention it is the 2006 "world sportscar of the year" (ahead of M5, Rs4, F430, Vantage, Ford GT, and the Z06, to name a few of the competitors).

Go drive one and find out what a mid-engine sports car is all about...
Old 07-30-2006, 12:03 AM
JohnDS
Pro

If you are going to pay 60k for a sports car, get a Z06.

If you are going to pay 50k for a sports car, get a C6.

John
Old 07-30-2006, 12:32 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Just the fact that he's gotta ask . . obviously, you're the smart one!

Yeah . .tell him to get the Boxter coupe . . .he'll never understand...

Old 07-30-2006, 12:42 AM
d_bravo33
Instructor

It's hard to go wrong with either car. The Cayman S has refinement, balance and reasonable acceleration. The Corvette is a street fighter. It's a matter of taste and driving style.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C6 or Porsche Cayman S???

Old 07-30-2006, 06:58 AM
Check 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlueSpeed
they are totally different cars. Porsche has a more refined fit and finish, the power is strong and smooth, great handling, awesome brakes, the service at the dealer is top notch and the service reps are usually very knowledgable about the products, but service and repairs on the porsche is much more expensive, the cayman is a more exclusive car since not too many produced, I think its the nicest looking porsche, the cayman doesn't come standard w/ litronics (HID) lights, long list of options raises the cost of the car, the cayman non S rolls next week

corvette on the other hand is about power and performance at a much lower cost, its a bigger car, more comfortable seats, however fit and finish on both the interior and exterior leaves a bit to be desired compared to the porsche as well as the service at the dealerships, but then again a vette is at least $10-12K less, watch out for the mods though, it could add lots $$$

tough choices ahead, cant go wrong on either
I would agree. I am fortunate enough to own both a '05 Z51 c6 and a 2006 Cayman S. they are different vehicles but both outstanding. As for room my 6'2 son has more head room in the Cayman. There is more luggage room ie for golf clubs in the vette. It gets slightly bettere milage than the Cayman and I run the vette on 89 while the Porsche must use 91. The Cayman will outhandle the vette but the feel of V8 power is a winner in the vette. Which do I like better, just glad I don't have to make that decision thanks to my great wife of 39 years. You won't go wrong with either. Porsche service is expensive but excellent and I will say the same for my local Corvette dealer so again a wash. Drive them both and make your decision.... Ok if I were to have to decide I throughly enjoy them both and would miss either but the vette would be the keeper.... and I would not have said that if I was comparing earlier models but the C6 is a fantastic vehicle
The following users liked this post:
JohnnieUtah (12-22-2020)
Old 07-30-2006, 07:56 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Around here, they (Boxsters) are referred to as 'Boxturds', and are driven by trophy wives. There are only a very few Caymen S's, and they seem to be piloted by wannabee's, you know, the 30-ish, GQ- guy that thinks he's really got something, and has "the attitude". Actually, the only p-car drivers around here that are not infected with "the attitude" are the 356 guys and gals. They're
Old 07-30-2006, 08:00 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

This is probably the most civil and factual thread I have ever seen regarding a competitor

I have not driven the Caymen, but by all that I have read, I believe the responses above to be good ones. I think it's a neat car, but overpriced. But what's new about that? That has always been the case with Porsches, but that is part of how they go to market, and it has actually served them well for the most part.

Quick Reply: Corvette C6 or Porsche Cayman S???