C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Bra or not to Bra, that is the question. Poll Included

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:16 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default To Bra or not to Bra, that is the question. Poll Included

I have read alot of threads on the quesiton of a Bra on the front end of a Corvette. I remain confused. I will be picking up my car in a few weeks at the NCM and was wondering about the use of a bra on a Corvette. Please choose all that apply.

Thanks

Last edited by mvcrash; 08-01-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

All bras are going to cause damage. Driving without a bra will inflict damage. Choose your poison.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 AM
possessed
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C6 does not wear a bra but I do think they are a good idea for long highway trips.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In theory, the bra covers the most vulnerable areas, but I don't think it really works out that way. Most of the worst chips on my previous cars have been further up on the hood, or on the sides - areas the bra doesn't cover.
So far this is holding true with the 'Vette. After 1 year, my car has accumulated two significant paint chips - both of them outside the area that a bra would cover. One of them is on the halo just above the passenger's door - I don't know what hit me there, but it was a doozy! Made a little crater I had to fill before touching up the paint.
So I think you're going to be doing touchup occasionally with or without the bra. Might as well enjoy going braless in the mean time.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:28 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Clear Bra (X-Pel) goes on Friday. Have it on my BMW and on the C5 Worth every penny - IMHO.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:38 AM
SliverMeMembers
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mvcrash
I have read alot of threads on the quesiton of a Bra on the front end of a Corvette. I remain confused. I will be picking up my car in a few weeks at the NCM and was wondering about the use of a bra on a Corvette. Please choose all that apply.

Thanks
Bras are for women. Be a man and drive your car NAKED.

SMM
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Zuntov
Drifting

I shipped a "road trip" box to the Corvette Musuem a week before I arrived to pick up my 06. Included in the box was a new Calgon bra.
Installed the bra and drove it in and out of rain for a week and roughly2200 miles.
Took it off, no scratches, no scuffs no chips.
Probably not a bad idea for long highway trips.
I haven't used the bra since.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:04 PM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Thanks
To avoid chips etc:

Keep the car in the garage at all times, or drive really fast avoiding flying pebbles or get your car painted the color of a giant rock chip

Ok lets take a test, Which of the pictures below have protection on the front of the vehicle ?

Photos lettered A thru F

A

B

C

D

E

F

Answer all of the above have protection

In this photo which Two cars have protection

You guessed it, the two on the right

And of the 5 cars pictured in the front row below. In the photo which two cars don't have protection and will look like sh*t 5 years from now?

The two silver cars should get a Clear Bra real soon
Old 08-01-2006, 12:07 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Clear Bra (X-Pel) goes on Friday. Have it on my BMW and on the C5 Worth every penny - IMHO.
I have it on my Corvette and I had it on my last two cars. I'll never own another new car without it.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:08 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

As my C6 came with a clear bra included from the dealer, I'll go with how I would have replied if I were still driving my C5. I purchased a GM bra (excellent value for the money) and did the initial install and removed the bra. I would put it on for any long trips but specifically highway miles and remove it once I arrived at my destination. While I'm likely in the minority that doesn't mind the look of a bra on the front of the car. I know that they can do a considerable amount of damage if the car is not treated properly. So I voted for adding a bra for long trips and highway trips. I believe in avoiding damage whenever possible, not fixing it later. Two cents firmly deposited.

Paul
Old 08-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with a Clear Bra for my new C6. I didn't install one on my G35 Coupe and ended up with numerous rock chips.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Clear Bra since I use the car regularly
Old 08-01-2006, 12:28 PM
lemans06conv
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks
aul with
I was going to bra upon pickup from NCM with the GM bra. My guide advised against it. He thought the paint was to fresh for the thing. He told me give it 90 days. I took his advice he had some 20 years experience at the plant. Drove home to St. Paul wihtout a ding, just bugs. Keep your distance from trucks and you will be fine.

Now my bra just sits in the garage.

It is impossible to keep your car FLAWLESS if you want to drive it. My take is- you spent the big money-enjoy the thing without worrying about little stuff like an occassional chip that can be covered up with touch up paint.

The other alternative is to wrap your entire car in that 3m stuff that is prone to spyderwebbing and is expensive to install.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I only use one for long trips.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Dueysan
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious to know how cost effective clear bra is. How much does clear bra cost? I can get the front end paint matched and resprayed for a few hundred dollars if need be. Is clear bra about the same cost?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dueysan
I'm curious to know how cost effective clear bra is. How much does clear bra cost? I can get the front end paint matched and resprayed for a few hundred dollars if need be. Is clear bra about the same cost?
That's a very nice deal on a front end paint job. My concern is good color patching and over spray.

A Clear Bra will probably cost you between $500 to $700 depending onwhere you are located.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
cmdrzero
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 14 Posts

Default No

IMO, a "bra" on a Corvette is like carrying a "man-bag." But to each his own. It's a great car! God Bless America!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To To Bra or not to Bra, that is the question. Poll Included

Old 08-01-2006, 12:55 PM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dueysan
to me time is money.

Clear bras can go from $500 to $1100, depends on how much coverage of the car you want

If you get the front of your car repainted and you have a shop do it you will be without your car for 3 days. you have to arange for a ride to and from the paint shop, after your car is painted and it came out Flawless you still have no guarantee that you don't hit a coffee cup or take a rock chip on your ride home.

Some people believe rock chips only work on long trips.

I interviewed a couple of local rock chips and they don't take weekends off and they don't discriminate.To them a good day is hitting 3 or more vehicles. They will
go after old cars new cars even your grandmothers sedan!

Look if I knew when the next rock chip was going to occur I would stay home that day.
"
As radio host Tom Leykis says "there are no accidents in life, Use protection" otherwise your'e asking for a nick .
Old 08-01-2006, 12:59 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by SliverMeMembers
Bras are for women. Be a man and drive your car NAKED.

SMM
I'll drive my car naked but not drive a naked car
Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

A little trick I've tried with great success. Saran Wrap - draw out the right length to cover the nose. It sticks very easily. When you get to your destination peel it off, all bugs and other debris come right off. It really isn't that noticible and boy does it work on the love bugs down here in Florida.\

PS - it just might deter a small rock from chipping paint.

Last edited by mjdart; 08-01-2006 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: To Bra or not to Bra, that is the question. Poll Included