C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pioneer Nav Unit AVIC-Z1

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 04:14 AM
reptilneto
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you please tell me if I need to buy new speakers or I need to change any wires,or I just need to get the head unit?,dose this work with thw stock system? thank you
Old 08-06-2006, 06:10 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rgcarmack14
It will record whatever you put in.

Robin
It records every CD you put in it, or can you choose to record or not record?

Seems like it would fill up fast and record a lot of useless songs if it just auto records everything.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:35 AM
ZO6Gal
Drifting

Originally Posted by shurite44
It records every CD you put in it, or can you choose to record or not record?

Seems like it would fill up fast and record a lot of useless songs if it just auto records everything.

Yes, you can choose what to record. If there is something you don't want to record, then just touch the "stop recording" section. As for the unit, I had thte stock nav unit and the Z1 just slips right in. Nothing as needed to make it work. I had a complete stereo system installed with speakers, amps, etc. because I do not like Bose at all. Here are some pics I have that I was actually taking of my steering wheel I had just gotten from DS Vettes. I hope it will give you an idea of how it looks. It really does look alot like stock. Thanks. Excuse the fingerprints. I have a cloth they gave me to use but I don't use it every day. I should get a screensaver.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:48 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 418 Likes on 289 Posts

Sweet! Thanks Again!...V
Old 08-06-2006, 06:32 PM
John Bravo
Racer

My installer told me he could put some sort of switch in it to make the DVD player work while driving. I don't ever watch dvd's in my car so I didn't ask him to explain it but he said they had done a number of them with no problems.

Robin
The unit on power up needs 3 pulses from the head lights.There are ways around everything. Go to www.avic411.com
Old 08-06-2006, 08:36 PM
BBKenney
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rgreger
It list for around 2250.00 but I have found it online for under 1400.00 My plan is to purchase it online and find a good installer.... so the search is on.

I first saw this unit at a Car Toys store in Dallas. The harddrive built into the system makes it very easy to store your CD's. Everytime you put in a CD it hasen't played, it will rip it onto the HD so you don't need the CD again. I believe it saves it as an MP3 file so you can load lot's of music onto the system. The navigation software is also loaded onto the HD which gives faster access to the data than a typical DVD reader.

Here is a link to the pioneer site with lots of good information on the unit.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...html#AVIC-HOME
Assuming you are in the Dallas area, would you please post who you got to install it, how well they did it and some idea of the cost?

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Crazy Cowboy
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

After having vehicles with Nav I don't like not having it. I'm installing this one in my SUV next week when it gets delivered, can't wait! The AVIC line has nice navigation and this is the best one yet from what I've seen. Will post a comparison to the factory C6 Nav when I get it done
Old 08-07-2006, 05:44 PM
mixer99
Instructor

Originally Posted by reptilneto
can you please tell me if I need to buy new speakers or I need to change any wires,or I just need to get the head unit?,dose this work with thw stock system? thank you
Bump for any answers to this question.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:43 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mixer99
Bump for any answers to this question.
Different head unit, but I have read in other threads where people just replaced the headunit and kept their amps and speakers. If I do the upgrade, thats how I plan on beginning.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:04 PM
JWB ZO6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

You can keep everything else and just change the head unit this dose require an adapter for ease of instillation.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:21 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JWB ZO6
You can keep everything else and just change the head unit this dose require an adapter for ease of instillation.
Crutchfield is showing there is an adapter for the chime integration, but no wiring harness adapter, is that current still?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:22 PM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.

Funny thing is the AVIC series and our navigation share the same "skeleton". I've looked at the file structure and they are remarkably similar -- but I'm sure our units were $50 cheaper to produce.

Over at the AVIC411 forums they claim the safety features of the Z1 can be easily bypassed.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:20 AM
intolerance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here ya go!

http://www.thecamerapros.com/prodeta...p?prodid=31772
Old 08-08-2006, 02:01 AM
Iceman997
Instructor

Yes, you can choose what to record. If there is something you don't want to record, then just touch the "stop recording" section. As for the unit, I had thte stock nav unit and the Z1 just slips right in. Nothing as needed to make it work. I had a complete stereo system installed with speakers, amps, etc. because I do not like Bose at all. Here are some pics I have that I was actually taking of my steering wheel I had just gotten from DS Vettes. I hope it will give you an idea of how it looks. It really does look alot like stock. Thanks. Excuse the fingerprints. I have a cloth they gave me to use but I don't use it every day. I should get a screensaver.
I wonder if there is any way to put mp3s directly on it...? I read in some other reviews that it will only rip audiobook cds
Old 08-08-2006, 05:05 AM
rgreger
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BBKenney
Assuming you are in the Dallas area, would you please post who you got to install it, how well they did it and some idea of the cost?

Thanks,

I'm looking for an installer now. The Car Toys place in Frisco said they have installed several of these in vettes, but I'm going to check out Best Buy to see if they have installed them as well.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:47 AM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Originally Posted by intolerance
Beware of where you purchase products online. Check out this Reseller Ratings review of the website linked above: Website Review

It is advisable to pay a bit more and have peace of mind about the purchase. Good luck

When I get my C6 next year I plan on installing the same unit in it as well. If I really like it I am going to put one in the C5 also

Last edited by AMGPilot; 08-08-2006 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:29 AM
jayelleseven
Racer

Originally Posted by intolerance

Do Not buy from that site.. its a Scam.. do your research..

Get notified of new replies

To Pioneer Nav Unit AVIC-Z1

Old 08-09-2006, 05:01 PM
reptilneto
Racer

where do I get the stering wheel ? thank you
Old 08-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Jor-El
Racer

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by rgreger
I'm looking for an installer now. The Car Toys place in Frisco said they have installed several of these in vettes, but I'm going to check out Best Buy to see if they have installed them as well.

I'm interested in what you find out as well. I ordered my '07 Z06 without the Nav with the express intent of adding the Pioneer Z1 instead. I'm picking up the Z at the Museum in a little over two weeks and will be looking to add the Pioneer shortly after we get back into town.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:44 PM
GoTreo
Pro

What additional parts were needd to install this into the Vette? Face plate, wiring harness, etc???? What year is your vette? I will be installing into an 07 Z06.

Thanks,

Jeff

Quick Reply: Pioneer Nav Unit AVIC-Z1