C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posting regarding my experience on lojack in my c6

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:28 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

Location: Objects in your mirror are losing , Long Island, NY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Default Posting regarding my experience on lojack in my c6

When i purchased my c6 in December of 2005, the finance manager talks me into installing the upgraded LOJACK system for the c6. On the day of delivery the salesman hands me the keys with the FOB and says go ahead and start her up. When I pushed the start button the car wouldn't start.. I was quite dissappointed, as you can imagine.

Anyway, the mechanic charges the battery and I was on my way.. Three days later I attempted to start the car for a nice Sunday ride. The dreaded DBS. Ok, now I am mad. Took my battery charger and boy was it a hassel trying to charge the battery. Lights blazing horn going off, anyhow charged it and went on my cruise. One week later the battery went dead again. Called the dealer and after having Chevy tow truck service jump the car the car was driven to the dealership for inspection. They kept the car for 5 days. Would you believe it that they kept the car 5 days and they told me the car started up after 5 days of just sitting there, and that all sytems were fine.

They checked the battery and said that it's ok. So I picked up the car thinking all was fine.. For three weeks the car was fine when it all happened again the dreaded DBS on a sunday. One more time the dealership was called and I took the car back for a second inspection, again the tow truck service same guy, he is like what is the matter with this car? So they had the car for one more week, they told me they traced the leak to a faulty lo jack processor that evidently went bad, and used the cars battery as a secondary source after the car went into sleep mode, hence the DBS.

They contacted Lo jack, and Lojack replaced the defective processor. The dealership called me and said all systems checked out fine and I could pick up the car. One month later again the dreaded DBS.. I was furious and called them back again, I was on the verge of the lemon law act> Upon furthur investigation, I found out thru another dealership that installing Lojack on two GM makes, the CORVETTE C6 and CERTAIN CADILACS, lojack drains the batteries because it rides piggy back on the puter and if something fails on the lojack system it works of the cars system and does not allow the puter to engage the sleep mode. This information was given to me from the secondary dealership. Anyhow I told my dealership to remove the lojack and refunded me the 1100 dollar charge. They said fine, as long as they can trace the problem to lojack..The car was driven back to them, and sure enough the drain was traced to lojack. I was refunded the money,with lojack removed and many months later I haven't had any more of the dreaded DBS. So think twice about installing LOJACK.

Last edited by welcome2try; 08-04-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Wow! Very interesting experience. Sounds like anyone who tries it should get some guarantees and should watch it for awhile first.

Difficult to read, though, with no paragraph breaks.

Just an observation of an otherwise useful post.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:54 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JimTN
Wow! Very interesting experience. Sounds like anyone who tries it should get some guarantees and should watch it for awhile first.

Difficult to read, though, with no paragraph breaks.

Just an observation of an otherwise useful post.
I was typing so fast even I couldn't catch a break....thanks for your input..
Old 08-04-2006, 07:56 PM
busysignal
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am glad you have the problem resolved. I was offered the same for my 05 ragtop, and said no thanks, just for fear that your nightmare would happen. Waaaaay to much electronic gremlins as it is, I don't need to add to it.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:04 PM
rays06C6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry you had the problem, inconvenience and frustration, but thanks for sharing your experience.
I had LoJack installed when my car was delivered in March, and have had no problems yet. But if I have similar symptoms, it will be good to know where to look first.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:55 PM
antoniopaolo
Drifting

Sorry that you had to go through all of that but I sure appreciate you passing along the info. Although I personally don't use the product I find that I am asked about it lots. Must be car thieves trying to enhance their data base.

Good luck from here on in.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by welcome2try
I was typing so fast even I couldn't catch a break....thanks for your input..
This is not new news, it's about a year old!

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=576
Old 08-04-2006, 09:26 PM
racedrvr
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info! If it saves just one of us from the hassle you went through all your typing will have been worth it.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Savage C6
Pro

I had LoJack installed in my 07. They came to my house to install it. I asked the installer about this exact topic. He told me that LoJack discovered this problem and has since found another 12V source for the transmitter. He said there were only 2 places left in the Vette that they can hook the unit to. He explained it to me, and it made since at the time, but I sure couldn't tell you what he said. Anyway, he did say that if the car sat for a month or more, it would kill the battery. The LoJack owner's manual says the same thing.

LoJack's been in for about 2 weeks now and I haven't had a problem. The most the car has been sitting without being started (so far) is about 5 days.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:09 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

When I bought my car over a year ago, it was a car my dealer traded another dealer for. It already had lojack installed. I've never activated it, and can only assume it is on the car. I have the certificate of installation. 7,500 miles, and 14 months and I have not had a single problem with the battery going dead.

BTW, my car only gets driven on weekends, and it has sat for as long as a couple of weeks without being started.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 PM
John B.
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I use guide point and never had a problem.The nice thing with this system you can track your own car from your computer......
Old 08-04-2006, 11:08 PM
J0J0
Safety Car

Location: NYC and Piscataway (depends on where work takes me)

Originally Posted by John B.
I use guide point and never had a problem.The nice thing with this system you can track your own car from your computer......
I use guide point as well. Real time tracking AND the best part is that you can make the call to the police and tell them where it is, direction, speed .... etc. With LoJack, you have to file the stolen car report and then they will track it MAYBE. Not all police cars are fitted with the lojack receiver.

Granted, the vette won't be the same when you get it back. My concern is catching the theif in the act!
Old 08-04-2006, 11:32 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Lo-jack only works if the town your stolen ( G-d frobid)Car is if the police have the lo-Jack tracker in their car--why not just on star ?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:37 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I have theft insurance!!
Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good writeup, thanks for the information.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:48 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Thank you all for your input. I must say maybe lojackLojack has finally resolved this issue however after my horrible experience, I could never install their upgraded system and chance going thru that again. Good luck everyone..and drive safely..
Old 08-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Savage C6
Pro

Originally Posted by jschindler
When I bought my car over a year ago, it was a car my dealer traded another dealer for. It already had lojack installed. I've never activated it, and can only assume it is on the car. I have the certificate of installation. 7,500 miles, and 14 months and I have not had a single problem with the battery going dead.

BTW, my car only gets driven on weekends, and it has sat for as long as a couple of weeks without being started.

You don't have to "activate it". The transmitter is "married" to the car for life. Heck, we've taken stolen reports from people who had no idea their car was equipped with Lojack until we recovered it and told them so.

Get notified of new replies

To Posting regarding my experience on lojack in my c6

Old 08-05-2006, 01:23 AM
mzjdave
Advanced

I had lojack installed, last April, as well. They came to the house and I have had no problems either.

I figure between Lojack and OnStar (as well as $50 deductible insurance) I am pretty well covered.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:21 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Savage C6
You don't have to "activate it". The transmitter is "married" to the car for life. Heck, we've taken stolen reports from people who had no idea their car was equipped with Lojack until we recovered it and told them so.
Yes, I understand that. I guess my point was that I would actually not have any way of knowing that its actually in the car, or that it works.

I did think it had to be registered in some way - is that not the case?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:11 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My LoJack:

I do not know where it is. I do not know if it works. I have no way to test it. I have no way to find it. I do not know if it contrubutes to a discharged battery. I do not know if it interferes with the other on board electronics. I do not know if the police can even track it. Ignorance is bliss.

Other than the above concerns, I am very happy with my LoJack.

Quick Reply: Posting regarding my experience on lojack in my c6