C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for all the coupe Z51 guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 07:19 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Default question for all the coupe Z51 guys

Hey guys I have been into Corvettes since I was a little kid thanks to my dad owning a very nice 93 LT1. Years later, he sold the car and got a 99 coupe that he really enjoyed. Well many toys later, he has a boat for a few years that he is currently selling and he was looking to buy a new Harley Davidson. I told him before he goes out and buys a bike to drive my car and make sure he is sure he wouldn't rather have a Vette again, “I have an EB 03 Z06." Wellllllll one drive in the Z and suddenly he wants a Vette again BUT there is a small problem ......... Years of not driving a manual SURE SHOWED My poor clutch Well anyway he loves Corvettes and was very impressed with the power and handling of the Z but was asking if he can get it with the removable roof and I'm pretty sure he would be better off with an auto cause he is more of a "cruiser than a driver and plus my mom can drive it sometimes also." Anyway I started thinking because he was looking at some 03-04 coupes and told him that maybe he should look at the C6 Z51 coupes because they are pretty close in performance to the C5Z's and then he could have an A6, removable roof, and 400hp to boot Now he is very interested in getting a Z51 coupe so I made this thread so he could read how you guys like your cars for driving and performance wise. Also if anyone that now has a C6 Z51 that came from a C5Z how you would compare the two cars. Sorry for the long post but I am just trying to help him out the best I can.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:26 AM
oldnewbie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 reply

I can't imagine driving anything else and guessing by your statements, I am likely around your dad's age. The C6 coupe with Targa top is super during Spring and Fall days. The A6 leaves more time to enjoy the ride...

Best
Old 08-13-2006, 08:43 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Thanks
Old 08-13-2006, 08:55 AM
bub
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 111 Posts

I haven't driven an A6, and have the manual myself, but it would seem that the current A6 paddle shift (vs. previous 4 speed) might be a good option for him, although you wouldn't get the MZ6's acceleration oriented gear ratios that you do with the manual.

Either way, I'd say GO FOR IT!!!!

Last edited by bub; 08-13-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:55 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I owned an 03 Z06 and now the C6 with RPO Z51. The C6 w/Z51is about as close to the C5 Z as we can get. I did add the rear Z06 sway bar to get even closer to the feel my C5 Z had. Plus I get all the refinements, removable roof, and creature comforts never offered on the C5 let alone the Z06, like heated seats, XM, NAV, Sport Seats and REAL headlights.

The C6 with the Z51 package is the closest you can get to the C5 Z. There's no easy answer to how close, some will argue it's too close to call. I'd agree, but based on Chevrolets own published performance numbers the C5 Z is still the faster car. But being able to get the A6 in a platform that has near C5 Z06 dynamics is a wonderful thing.

If $$$ isn't an issue buy the C6 and happy motoring.

Tom
Old 08-13-2006, 08:57 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by thegame
Hey guys I have been into Corvettes since I was a little kid thanks to my dad owning a very nice 93 LT1. Years later, he sold the car and got a 99 coupe that he really enjoyed. Well many toys later, he has a boat for a few years that he is currently selling and he was looking to buy a new Harley Davidson. I told him before he goes out and buys a bike to drive my car and make sure he is sure he wouldn't rather have a Vette again, “I have an EB 03 Z06." Wellllllll one drive in the Z and suddenly he wants a Vette again BUT there is a small problem ......... Years of not driving a manual SURE SHOWED My poor clutch Well anyway he loves Corvettes and was very impressed with the power and handling of the Z but was asking if he can get it with the removable roof and I'm pretty sure he would be better off with an auto cause he is more of a "cruiser than a driver and plus my mom can drive it sometimes also." Anyway I started thinking because he was looking at some 03-04 coupes and told him that maybe he should look at the C6 Z51 coupes because they are pretty close in performance to the C5Z's and then he could have an A6, removable roof, and 400hp to boot Now he is very interested in getting a Z51 coupe so I made this thread so he could read how you guys like your cars for driving and performance wise. Also if anyone that now has a C6 Z51 that came from a C5Z how you would compare the two cars. Sorry for the long post but I am just trying to help him out the best I can.
If he is looking at a C6 Automatic and is not planning on tracking the car I'm not sure I'd get the Z51. The biggest performance "feel" of the Z51 comes with the transmission in the manual since the gearing is different. The added coolers are nice, the tires are sticky (wear quicker) and the brakes are larger but also produce a ton of dust and wear faster. The ride will be stiffer than any other C6. He might just want to look at a base model. The Z is a great package but may be more than your dad needs for driving. Any C6 will be close to the performance numbers of the C5Z but I believe that it was widely agreed upon that the C5Z gets the nod (albeit a slight one.) The acceleration of the manual Z51 bridges that gap a little but that is lost when you go to the A6 as I understand it. Best of luck to him in his search. I'd recommend that he drive the three suspension packages in automatics and then he will be able to make a better informed decision. Otherwise he will simply have opinions.

With that said I should state that I own the F55 package not a Z51. I have driven a C5 Z06 but owned a C5 coupe. The information that I provided is my understanding (therefore my opinion) from what I have learned here on the forum.

Paul

Last edited by talon90; 08-13-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:11 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

I think your dad would really enjoy a C6 Z51. I can't imagine it without mine today. Along with the stickier tires, bigger stabilizer bars and bigger brakes, you also get coolers for the oil, power steering, and transmission with the Z51 package. I have both tops and it's nice to be able to choose which top I want to use during different times of the year here in the hot southwest. Solid top in the summer to keep some of the heat off of you and the transparent top during the cooler parts of the year. I also have the A6 and love it. I wanted a manual but had to compromise for the wife and really glad that we got the A6. It allows you to select from basically three shift modes while driving. I use the paddles most of the time as it allows me to manually select which gear I want to be in with the flick of the paddle and not have to reach down for the gear shift or have the transmission decide which gear I'm going to be in.
Don't think you can go wrong with a C6. Enjoy !!!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:13 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell Pops to get the Z51 and dont look back.

Except to look for your z in the rear vie mirror!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Fast Mover
Melting Slicks

However, Explain to your Dad that The Z51 has a "Sportier" feel that takes a base Coupe to a slightly higher level of performance.
A little Bumpy on Harsh roads but worth that tradeoff to me and most on this forum
Old 08-13-2006, 10:15 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
Tell Pops to get the Z51 and dont look back.

Except to look for your z in the rear vie mirror!
My Z is going to ECS very soon so that would never happen
Old 08-13-2006, 10:16 AM
KENZ51
Drifting

My back and neck are in fairly bad shape, I have the Z51, and it rides Great! So glad I opted for the Z51!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:17 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Yes, I asked him that when he was driving my Z if he thought the ride felt to harsh and bumpy and he said no he loved it. He said it felt alot more stable than his 99 coupe so that is why I had suggested a c6 z51. Thanks for all the replies to far guys!!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:27 AM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Good luck with everything!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:31 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1bdasvt
Good luck with everything!
Your hood looks really nice dude
Old 08-13-2006, 10:33 AM
RedHotC6
Racer

Originally Posted by Fast Mover
However, Explain to your Dad that The Z51 has a "Sportier" feel that takes a base Coupe to a slightly higher level of performance.
A little Bumpy on Harsh roads but worth that tradeoff to me and most on this forum

Love my Z51 & much better ride than the C5
Old 08-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm 47 and my C6 Z51 coupe is my daily driver. I love the way it rides and handles. The ride is firm but not harsh, and it corners absolutely flat. I came from a '97 C5 Z51 and never drove a C5 Z06, so can't compare, but I didn't even consider the other suspensions when ordering the C6.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:08 AM
hrdwrkndog
Intermediate

I had not owned a vette in over 10yrs before buying an 03AE vert last year. After seeing the c-6 I just had to have one. I traded my Harley in on a new 06 lt2 lmb coupe with the A6 and Z51 and could not be happier. I still can't bring myself to part with the 03 vert just yet. The c-6 is a different animal.

Get notified of new replies

To question for all the coupe Z51 guys

Old 08-13-2006, 11:46 AM
RPM Composites
Advanced

I have a 05' with Z51, my dad has a 05' with out Z51. When he ordered his car however, he ordered it with the optional axel ratio. The axel option I think is only about $350.00 (quite the deal from GM). Comparing my Z51 to his Non-Z51 is very close. The ride feels about the same over slightly bumpy roads. The acceleration feels exactly the same with the optional axel. The braking requires a little less pedal presure with the Z51, that seems to be noticable. You should think about it. You could save some $$.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:50 AM
connor
Instructor

Originally Posted by thegame

As you can see from my sig, I own both. The Z06 is so heaviliy modified now its hard to compare performance anymore but I have run the C6 Z51 with other more stock ZO6's and not had a problem keeping up. I would say get the C6 Z51, its a more refined car and I would get it with the Nav, I miss that o the ZO6.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:56 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM Composites
I have a 05' with Z51, my dad has a 05' with out Z51. When he ordered his car however, he ordered it with the optional axel ratio. The axel option I think is only about $350.00 (quite the deal from GM). Comparing my Z51 to his Non-Z51 is very close. The ride feels about the same over slightly bumpy roads. The acceleration feels exactly the same with the optional axel. The braking requires a little less pedal presure with the Z51, that seems to be noticable. You should think about it. You could save some $$.
If they are '05 automatics, one with Z51 and the other ordered with the performance axle, then they both have the same rear axle and is why the acceleration feels exactly the same.

However beginning in '06 the A4 transmission was replaced with the A6 with the paddle shifters and all automatic Corvettes have the same gearing now.

If your dad enjoys the sportier ride, superior handling, wants the additional cooling capabilities, and wants the better braking capabilities which the Z51 option offers, in part due to it's tires, then the Z51 is the way to go.

RPO Z51 is at it's best however with the 6 speed manual transmission. The manual 6 speed Z51 has the same gearing that your Z06 has through the first four gears, and has 400hp to your 405. Those two are what make it so similar to your current C5 Z06.

The A6 is however very close and if I were going with the A6, I'd get the Z51 for the aforementioned extras. Brakes, tires, suspension system, coolers.

Quick Reply: question for all the coupe Z51 guys