C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 coupe (non-ZO6) vs Boxster S - opinions

Old 09-23-2006, 10:06 PM
MotoFanatic
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Default C6 coupe (non-ZO6) vs Boxster S - opinions

Hi all,

I know this is a corvette forum but I would appreciate everyone's opinion. Let me start by saying I already have a deposit on a C6 and am awaiting delivery at some later date. I wasn't going to consider Porsche but a friend insisted. I did and now I'm torn. I've never spent this much on a vehicle and probably never will again so I want to make sure this is the right choice. The car will be a garage queen and I intend to keep the car as long as possible.

I test drove both a Boxster S and a Cayman (non-S) and I've got to say, both are very impressive.

The Cayman is very nice but underpowered. It's a well balanced vehicle and can be tossed around like no other. A Cayman S would be my choice (I know this without even a test drive) but unfortunately that is definitely out of my price range and when you add options...yeeesh!!! Way out there.

So now I'm struggling between the Boxster S and the Corvette. I can get a relatively stripped down Boxster for $5k more than a fully equipped vette (ie Z51, 3lt, transparent roof, chrome etc).

I love the Boxster's handling and "small" car feel. The power is good. Styling is getting a little dated. (nothing personal but Porsche hasn't changed the styling for a number of years). Essentially, I like the way the car feels from the inside and how it handles.

The vette, on the other hand, comes fully loaded. Feels bigger compared with the Boxster which translates to more room but suffers a little in the flickability department. The look is fresh but I'm sure, like the Porsche or any other car, it will look outdated soon enough. Nothing like a V-8 engine to start the morning BUT there is something to be said about the Boxster engine. The big thing is the reliability of the 'vette. It is questionable but there is a 5 yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Bottom line, for the $$$, you get more "stuff" and the car looks so d@mn sexy.

What's everyone's take? I'm sure others have done the same comparison. Am I missing anything?

The other "bad" thing about Porsche is that the stealer made it sound hard to change the oil. Hard enough where, I should bring it in versus doing it myself. How hard could it be?

So now I'm not as sure as I was before the test drive. I'm sure it will come down to personal preference but opinions would still be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2006, 10:19 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Get the Z51 equipped MN6 Corvette.

It will outperform the Boxster S and looks better. As far as reliability, as with any car, its luck of the draw.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a Vette Forum and I'm sure that most of the guys here are going to point you toward the Vette. I know that there are members of this forum that have owned both Porche and Vette. I am not one, but if I were you, I would listen to those who have owned both.

A Vette of course.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:22 PM
grifster
Pro

You would definately have to go with the "S" version to get any good performance. I test drove some Porsches myself and actually didn't like the cramped compartment, which is funny because if you put the Corvette next to a Boxster, you would be suprised about how close in size they are. As far as the oil change, with the Boxster and the Cayman (Hardtop Boxster), the engine is completely hidden. You would have to put the car on a rack and take off the bottom sheet metal to get to it. Remember the Boxster format has the engine compartment directly behind the seats for the 50-50 weight ratio that the Porsche is famous for. I don't know about the rest of the country but when I asked the Porsche dealer in Nashville, they said it is around $500.00 just to start to work on a Porsche.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:40 PM
billsee
Instructor

I've had multiple older 911s. 911 was a great road car, no comparison to C3 when owned both. But with the C5 and C6, the Vette is now a world class car, too.

Vette doesn't have quite as sharp a "feel" driving on the road, but in every other respect I'll take it over Cayman S that I was considering. But I'll still wave if you buy the Boxter.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:44 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask forum member DANNOV; he has both and has tracked both and can give you an educated opinion.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:48 PM
jcortney
Pro

I have had the good fortune to have owned both. Let me give you the plus side of the Boxster S. Flat out the best handling car I have ever owned. The weight distribution and suspension make the car a dream in an autocross or track event. The larger brakes and HP of the S makes a comparision between it and a regular Boxster impossible. Totally different driving experience. Now that Porsche no longer offers free oil changes and the like, most shops work on them at very reasonable rates. You might have to buy oil filters on line and take them with you but, other than that, no big deal. Another plus is the amount of storage space in the car. You can get two full size airline roller bags in the front trunk and a ton more stuff in the rear trunk (1 set of golf clubs and more). Very well designed storage space. And, there is always the Cache'. A Porsche is still a Porsche.

Now, all that said, I wouldn't trade my C6 for one even up. Why? Well maybe it's because I've already had one, maybe it's because you just can't beat the raw power of a big V-8, maybe it's because the car is so comfortable, maybe it's because it just sounds like a sports car (with Corsa's) or, maybe it's because it's just so damn beautiful. With the 3LT I got every goodie I could possibly want (hell, just the HUD alone does it for me), sometime you just have to see Monty Red in the sunlight. There is so much metal flake in the paint that it just glows. The fit and finish of the car rivals any MB or Porsche (I've had three) that I have ever had. The best testimonial I can give you was when I told my wife I was buying a Vette she told me she would only keep the "dick" jokes up for 1 month. After driving in the car only twice she said "wow, this is much nicer and more fun than the Porsche, I'm really surprised."

So, they are both great cars that do what they were designed to do very well. Buy the one that makes your heart throb.

Good Luck,
Old 09-23-2006, 10:52 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

You will get mostly crapped on here about the Boxter unfortunately. Buy the one that give's you the biggest woody. End of story.

Both cars have different appeals, the C6 is a great car for the dollar & way improved over the C5. It's fast, torquey and I love the lines. Other then a Turbo or GT3 it's more powerful too.

The Porsche has a nice feel about it when you are behind the wheel, the space inside...way better finish. Maybe a little more exclusive, dependimg where you live.

Don't let anyone else make your decision, it's your money. The dealership can sway you too...typically GM dealers are a joke.

Which one do you lose sleep over?

Good luck, enjoy your choice.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:54 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was in the same situation before I bought mine and could not decide which way to go. However, after driving some of the other choices, the power of the C6 won me over and I have never looked back....this is a great car. I see way more Boxsters, G35, 350Z, GTO's etc. on the road than I do C6's and that is another reason I am glad I went with the Vette. They are way to proud of the Cayman and the performance does not justify the asking price IMO.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:57 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Oh ya...and everyone will base their decision on performance #'s...there is more to a car then that...
Old 09-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

The Boxster is a fine vehicle, but I have never thought it was much of a masculine car, and it is darn expensive. Here are ten reasons to buy a Corvette over the Boxster:

1. The Boxster exhaust doesn’t have a V8 rumble
2. I don’t know any songs written about a Boxster
3. I have never seen a Boxster with Craiger SS wheels
4. No nervous father has ever forbid his daughter to date someone because he drove a Boxster
5. I have never seen a poster of a Boxster in a garage next to a poster of Miss November
6. Metallica and Guns N Roses does not belong blaring out of Boxster speakers
7. My son has never drawn a picture of a Boxster complete with a flame paint job in elementary school
8. The police aren’t unreasonably suspicious of a Boxster
9. A Boxster does not run 170 MPH or turn 12’s in the quarter
10. A Boxster just doesn’t turn my head, warm my heart, or stir my soul
Old 09-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Jeff2
Advanced

Default Your Call

As stated, the choice will likely come down to what you want rather than an objective comparison of the two cars.

As far as the reliability of the Vette, I haven't heard of many problems that the new 5 year powertrain warranty will cover.

Since it will be a garage queen, you should make a completely unabashed emotional choice IMHO.

At least if you pick the Vette you will get to see lots of beer mugs and dancing smilies with balloons from all of us.

Have fun.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:30 AM
slomarsh
Racer

Default C6 vs Porsche

I looked at the Boxter S and Cayman too. Having had Porsches for 30 years you would think Porsche would be my new car buying decision.
Nope, chose the C6. Much more bang for the buck!.
Both the Porsche and Corvette are full of potential failure points due to all the modern complexities. At least Corvette is more maintainable and less expensive for most components.
Porsche in recent years has taken a "owner, hands off!" approach. They have made it difficult for us do it yourself folk. Also, the Boxter, and Cayman are subject to chronic cooling leaks and the dreaded rear main seal leak which Porsche will only fix under warranty but is a recurring problem.

Honestly, the Corvette C6 is a world class sports car. It handles much like the Porsche 928 series and 944 Turbo series. Not surprising since they, like the C6 and C5, have front engine, a torque tube and rear tranny.

That said, if you really like the unique feel of the mid or rear engine placement. Then, as the slogan says "Porsche, there is no substitute"
They still do make a great sports car, though, my personal opinion is that for the high price they no longer offer commensurate value.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:58 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I love mid engine placements...but never had much desire for the boxster...

I guess it's the looks...to me (no offense to any owners), it's a very feminine car that just doesn't do it for me...if I were a chick or gay, I might be more interested.

That said, it's not going to have the power of a C6. I've been driving powerful V8's for the last 1/2 dozen years and couldn't go back to something as slow as the boxster...
Old 09-24-2006, 01:13 AM
falco84
Racer

[QUOTE=MotoFanatic]The big thing is the reliability of the 'vette. It is questionable but there is a 5 yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty./QUOTE]

It's only a big deal if you're used to Toyotas. The majority of corvette owners have very minor problems, or none (such is my case - on number three)

Looking to the future...

If you plan on keeping this car for as long as possible, you're going to be paying for repairs and maintainence out of warranty on either vehicle. In 15 years which car do you think is going to be more expensive to keep running?

Old Corvettes - always worth a double take . Old Porsches that aren't 911s - not hardly. When was the last time you were in awe of a 944 or 928 putting down the road?

Do you want an American icon with a deep rooted history or an entry level Porsche?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:19 AM
lcbiiimd
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 69 Posts

I also test drove the boxster at the time I test drove the vette - my impressions - I don't like the Boxster's look with the top up - I do like the lines and the look of the Cayman. I thought both their cockpits were cramped. I thought both had the best steering feel and handling of any car I drove to include the vette. I thought the V6 sounded weak compared to the V8 in the vette and while the boxster and the cayman were powerful it didn't have the same acceleration as the C6. Now the interiors on these cars are nicer than the C6, but I did not think that they were light years ahead of the C6. I also didn't like the fact that I would have to pay a bit more for the options that come on the vette.

To have to decide between these three wonderful cars is a problem most would like to have - I say go with the one you like the best - I think any would make you happy - for me, it was the vette (but I have always wanted one and I think if I had gone with a boxster or cayman I would wonder every time I saw a vette). Good luck!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:28 AM
leeman
Racer

Default C6 over boxter

I looked at the Cayman S and researched the car quite a bit and I can tell you that it is meant to handle and out power the Boxter S. With that said to get close to the same options as the Vette you need to spend at least $70,000 on the Cayman. Notice I did not mention the Boxter because it is not in the same class as the Vette and Cayman s. The C6 will make mince meat out of the Cayman s if equiped with the Z51 handling package. The Boxter cannot compete with the C6 in styling either. The Cayman is understated but looks good. The C6 is a knockout and it's America's sports car. If I gave up my C6 it would only be for the Cayman S and not the Boxter. That's not going to happen anytime soon.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 coupe (non-ZO6) vs Boxster S - opinions

Old 09-24-2006, 01:51 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

Buy the one that makes you smile the biggest as you think of driving it.

Another downside to Porsches, besides their distinctly feminine nature, is that they depreciate horrendously. If cost is a major concern, then buy a year-old Porsche with low miles and save a solid 1/3 of the cost over a new one.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:11 AM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

I have driven both and the feel of the Porsche, at least to me, was dissapointment. I expected it to be much quicker. It handles great but can't touch the torque of the Vette that you feel off the line or when you stomp on it.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:05 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The key concern is which one will leave the most room for your lawnmower in the garage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 coupe (non-ZO6) vs Boxster S - opinions