C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper way to add fuel stabilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:56 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Proper way to add fuel stabilizer?

Since I've never fuel stabilized to a car before, what's the best way to add the stuff to the gas tank?

1. Fill up the car. Add the proper volume of stabilizer and drive home?

2. Run the car down to half a tank. Add the proper amount of stabilizer for that volume of gas, then gas up the rest of the tank and add the remaining amount of stabilizer that's appropriate for a full tank of gas?

I guess the point of this is...does adding fuel stabilizer to a full tank allow it to mix adequately? Of course, I'd run the engine for a while to assure that stabilized fuel made it way through the lines.

TIA.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:13 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Have the level low as possible, add stabil, fill 'er up, drive home. You want the stabil in the lines and the injectors also.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
Since I've never fuel stabilized to a car before, what's the best way to add the stuff to the gas tank?
1. Fill up the car. Add the proper volume of stabilizer and drive home?
2. Run the car down to half a tank. Add the proper amount of stabilizer for that volume of gas, then gas up the rest of the tank and add the remaining amount of stabilizer that's appropriate for a full tank of gas?
I guess the point of this is...does adding fuel stabilizer to a full tank allow it to mix adequately? Of course, I'd run the engine for a while to assure that stabilized fuel made it way through the lines. TIA.
Adding stabilizer to a full tank gives you the most accurate mix ratio because you know the exact amount of fuel in the tank. I'd think that once stabilizer is added to a full tank, it will mix well on its own once you drive a bit.

Adding stabilizer to a half tank then filling the tank will surely cause quicker mixing, but at a "half tank", you never quite know exactly how many gallons are in there. Gauge is not accurate enough in that regard, so your mix ratio will be off a bit... which may not be such a big problem anyway.
This is an error because you are going to use a ratio based on a full tank anyway - sorry

I added StaBil to a full tank on one of my other cars once, then drove the car for about 10 miles. About 10 months later the car started right up so I guess the StaBil had been mixed well enough.

Another interesting note: I had added StaBil to a full tank on a motorcycle, drove 5 miles or so and then the bike was left sitting for TWO full years. This was not intentional, but due to certain limitations, I was not able to get to the bike sooner than that. Anyway, the bike actually started right up and ran fine!... BUT... the fuel definitely had that "stale fuel" odor, pretty severe. The exhaust actually had that odor too, very strong but engine ran well surprisingly, had excellent throttle response and everything. (This time I simply ran the tank / carbs dry just in case I am not able to get to the bike for over a year again. Bike is indoors so I am not worried about internal fuel system corrosion.)

Last edited by Vet; 10-12-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:13 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Have the level low as possible, add stabil, fill 'er up, drive home. You want the stabil in the lines and the injectors also.

Generally, the directions on fuel additive bottles tell you to pour the proper amount into a partial tank (I would prefer a quarter tank or less), and then fill the tank. The flow of fresh fuel into the tank mixes the additive thoroughly throughout the contents, and the full tank minimizes the amount of water vapor entering the air space and condensing into the tank.

Careful proportioning is un-necessary. The directions tell you how much to use per gallon, but I expect that's a minumum for good effectiveness. Use the specified fuel tank volume (18 gallons) to calculate how much stabilizer to add, pour it in, fill the tank, and you're done.

Last edited by JmpnJckFlsh; 10-12-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh

Generally, the directions on fuel additive bottles tell you to pour the proper amount into a partial tank, and to then fill the tank. The flow of fresh fuel into the tank mixes the additive thoroughly throughout the contents, and the full tank minimizes the amount of water vapor entering the air space and condensing into the tank. Careful proportioning is un-necessary. The directions tell you how much to use per gallon, but I expect that's a minumum for good effectiveness. Use the specified fuel tank volume (18 gallons) to calculate how much stabilizer to add, pour it in, fill the tank, and you're done.

I actually made a foolish error in my above post. I agree with JmpnJckFlsh.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:23 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I add Stabil to a half tank. Drive the car till it is half full again and then add stabil and fill up the tank. This way you are assured that the stabil is in the lines and injectors, etc...After December I always add the stabil if I drive the car cause you never know when it will snow and the car gets stuck in the garage.
Cheap insurance.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:30 AM
cajunspeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are some stablizers better then others?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:42 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Because we have 2 saddle tanks,here is what I do.
1. have the fuel level below a quarter tank.
2. Estimate how many gallons it'll take to fill up. (I use fuel stabizer all the time,so it's always in the tanks.)
3. I break the fueling process 4-5 times just to add a premeasured amount to additive. I can hear the transfer pump moving fuel from 1 tank to the other.(Ratio is 2000:1)

I use PRI-G from www.priproducts.com
Old 10-12-2006, 02:54 PM
crabby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by cajunspeed
Are some stablizers better then others?

I have used Stabil and Seafoam over many years, and I have found Seafoam to be far better for long term storage and I now use it exclusively, although Stabil is easier to find at retail.

Individual results may vary....
Old 10-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

I use Sta-Bil, and I think it is 1 oz. to 2 1/2 gal. I put it in before filling the tank.
If it's your first fill of it, just figure how much you need for 18 gallons.
I've been usng it for years.

Get notified of new replies

To Proper way to add fuel stabilizer?

Quick Reply: Proper way to add fuel stabilizer?