C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is brake fluid and hydraulic clutch fluid the same?

Old 10-19-2006, 02:30 PM
billywallstreet73
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is brake fluid and hydraulic clutch fluid the same?

My clutch fluid was low so I went to get some and the guy said that brake and clutch fluid is the same.I ended up getting nothing just because I want to make sure so I come to the vette gods for the anwser.Its time to get my car ready for the quarter soon with the first real cold front coming through south florida next tuesday.What clutch fluid does anyone recommend?
Old 10-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, its the same stuff. Use any good quality DOT-4 fluid. Valvoline SynPower is fine and is widely available; I've had no problems with it.

P.S. Check the threads (like this one for more info on clutch fluid.

Last edited by Buffy; 10-19-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:42 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by billywallstreet73
My clutch fluid was low so I went to get some and the guy said that brake and clutch fluid is the same.I ended up getting nothing just because I want to make sure so I come to the vette gods for the anwser.Its time to get my car ready for the quarter soon with the first real cold front coming through south florida next tuesday.What clutch fluid does anyone recommend?
You can use DOT 3 or 4 in the brake reservoir. 3 and 4 are interchangeable.
In the clutch reservoir, DOT 4 should be used. In both the clutch and the brakes synethics can be used because they are also interchangeable.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD DOT 5 BE USED. IT CONTAINS SILICONE AND WILL NOT MIX WITH 3 OR 4.
I am using Prestone DOT 4 synethic in the clutch, but there are many good brands to be had. (Walmart $2.60 for 12 oz.)
Old 10-20-2006, 10:43 AM
billywallstreet73
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys...I ended up using the prestone dot 4 syn and my fluid was so dark.I did the method by ranger to press in the clutch 10 times to run it through and I refilled 4 times till it was pretty much clear.I havent driven it yet but I can tell the clutch is much smoother now and it goes into gear much ,much better.Best bang for the buck ever lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Is brake fluid and hydraulic clutch fluid the same?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is brake fluid and hydraulic clutch fluid the same?