C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stabil and Gasoline Brands

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Gburg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabil and Gasoline Brands

Are there certain gasoline brands (like BP) that make Stabil not necessary for limited winter driving of the Vette? That is gasolines with built-in additives that reduce gas line freeze and fuel tank condensation.

I will be getting a Battery Tender Plus. Whenever the streets are dry, I will drive the car evenings and weekends. When there are wet/snow streets, I will open the garage door and let the engine run for 10 minutes. I will not be buying a half tank every week like I do now. But, the same tank-full of gasoline will not be in the tank all winter in Buckeyeland, either.

In my situation would Stabil be needed at all? I have read conflicting points regarding Stabil. Is water/condensation the primary concern, in Vette fuel tanks over the winter? Or that the gasoline will go stale and gunk-up the engine? If the latter, does it make a difference if the Vette is stored all winter without being driven at all, or if the Vette is occassionaly driven over the course of the winter? With occasional driving is Stabil even needed? If Stabil is still recommended: Is the entire Stabil container contents added to a fill-up of an almost empty fuel tank? This is my first winter with a Corvette.

Thanks,

Gburg

Last edited by Gburg; 10-27-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:40 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

If you are storing your Vette for a 3 or 4 month period without running it ,Stabil may be good. Based on what you are doing, you would be wasting your money. Stabil was developed for the marine industy. Boats, on the east coast ,at least, are stored from about this time of year until May or June. In that time period gas could break down or get varnish like. I use it in my boat and all my lawn equipment.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:08 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

I use a fuel stabilizer (not "Stabil".) It works out to 4 cents per gallon treated. I use it year around. 4 cents isn't a big enough cost increase to worry about. (If it is,then you should have a bus pass,not a Corvette.)
Old 10-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Old Coot
Racer

Just bought some. Walmart has it for $8.06 for 32 oz which treats 80 gal. Best buy I could find.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a site that lists the best brands.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

It is really based more on detergents than longevity. I would use one of the top tier brands and a bottle of Stabil.

3-4 months you may be fine without, but for 5 bucks of Stabil cheap insurance.

I put stabil in everything that will be sitting over the winter, and all my stuff starts perfect in the spring. Mowers, chainsaws... I have several neighbors that never do it, and it's a spring ritual to help them ungunk their lawnmower's carburetors. The stuff works.

On the gas, I use Shell. It's the only one on the top tier list in my area, and I've never had or needed a fuel injection cleaning. I know many people that are cheapskates and go to Costco or Kroger and every once in a while start running like crap and have to get a injector cleaning done.

Tank should be left full over the winter, this will prevent condensation.
If it sits partially full for a while, just put a little dry gas in there.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:20 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michrider

I would use one of the top tier brands and a bottle of Stabil.

I put stabil in everything that will be sitting over the winter, and all my stuff starts perfect in the spring.

On the gas, I use Shell. It's the only one on the top tier list in my area

Tank should be left full over the winter, this will prevent condensation.

What he said.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:48 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

The Stabil is cheap insurance. I would use a name brand top tier gas. I would also keep the tank full to prevent moisture.
The Battery Tender Plus is great. I use it all winter, and during the summer months on my GTO if I know I won't be driving the car for a week or so. I'm buying a second one for my Vette.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:08 PM
9T3JIM
Pro

I'm not sure about the answer to your first question but I have been using BP in my Vettes for close to 10 years now. My car sits from mid Nov. to about the 1st of May and I have always used Stabil without any issues. My own opinion of the fuel level sensor problem in the C5's is that they maybe parked for long period of times without Stabil and only partially filled tanks over the winter and the tanks condensate and corrode the sensors. Go ahead and use the Stabil, its cheap insurance.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:31 PM
MikeK
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I store my "toys" from mid-October thru Mid-April annually. This has included '98 and '01 vettes, an '04 M-B SL55AMG and now my '07 vette. I only use Chevron and always have a full tank to preclude condensation. I have never used a gas stabilizer and have had no problems in the Spring when firing them up and driving that tank of gas.

Last edited by MikeK; 10-28-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I saw an engineer from API on TV one day that said all gasolines have a stabilizer in them that's good for 18 months to 2 years. I never use it and have never needed it. I have had a boat I have a motorcycle and don't use the stuff.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:11 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Some confusion here;

Stabil and other brands like STP Fuel Stabilizer are fuel STABILIZERS , they prevent fuel deterioration and formation of gum and varnish.

Fuel additives for prevention of gas line freezing are a different chemical entirely, usually just alcohol to mix with the moisture in the gas.

If the car is going to be stored use Stabil or another brand stabilizer, if it's going to be driven use the alcohol based additive.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

The API engineer wasn't talking about moisture, he was talking about long term storage. Stabilizers are in all gasolines and are good for nearly two years. I've let vehicles sit that long and have had no problems. We buy a lot of 'mystery' additives like fuel injection cleaners that are nothing but 'peace of mind'. It's big bucks to the folks that make them.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Arthur6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
The API engineer wasn't talking about moisture, he was talking about long term storage. Stabilizers are in all gasolines and are good for nearly two years. I've let vehicles sit that long and have had no problems. We buy a lot of 'mystery' additives like fuel injection cleaners that are nothing but 'peace of mind'. It's big bucks to the folks that make them.
Agree 100%...
Stabil is good for your lawn mower - weed eater, etc
Good for small amounts of gas...

Get notified of new replies

To Stabil and Gasoline Brands

Quick Reply: Stabil and Gasoline Brands