C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ucoat it Garage Floor Install with Custom Corvette Logo

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 02:24 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
That looks awesome!

And as you can see, I'm kind of "queer" for a nice garage also...

Are those tiles or what? How does it hold up to wear and tear or driving in and out?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:50 PM
chuckr
Racer

I used An epoxy paint on mine not suppose to pick up hot tire but has in some spots I think Im going in a differant direction the next time
Chuck:
Old 12-10-2006, 03:04 PM
300mph
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default More application info

Here is some more information that may help you if you decide to do the floor treatment like the one shown at the start of this thread. These are beautiful floors and it would be a shame to go to all that work and not have the last for many years.

There is a test you can perform that is an old builders trick to determine if you have a moisture problem in your floor so that you can avoid future problems. You can test your slab to see to what extent moisture is present in the slab. The best time to do this test is when your water table is highest like in the spring after heavy rains or ground thawing have filled the porous areas in the ground and raised the water table.

Make sure the floor is and has been dry on the surface for at least three days. What I mean by this is do not do this test if you have recently washed your floor or if you have been driving in and out of the garage with your car dripping wet from rain. Wait until it has completely dried and that uniformly light colored appearance. Then take a piece thin, clear plastic about 2 ft. by 2 ft. and place it directly on the floor. You can use regular household plastic wrap and tape it together to make a larger piece. Place heavy objects around the perimeter to seal the edges of the plastic to the floor so that no outside air can get in between the plastic and the floor. Sand bags work good for this or just carefully pour sand around the perimeter. Now just wait for a few days and watch the plastic for signs of moisture building up between the floor and the plastic. If moisture is coming up through the floor you will see it condensing on the underside of the plastic just like it does on the inside of your windshield on a cold day. If you don't see anything obvious after a few days, pull up the plastic and quickly wipe your hand across the underside to check for moisture. If you can't detect and moisture you should be good to go.

This test is not completely foolproof but it will tell you in 90% of the cases if you have an obvious moisture problem.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:14 PM
hrcantrell
Instructor

An option if you are building a new garage is to use colored concrete. Not as pretty and the shine is not as bright, but it looks nice when the color is done right. It needs to be added in the delivery truck and mixed well, not added as the slab is poured. Not as pretty but works well and last along time.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:32 PM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone ever used swimming pool paint for there garage floor coating... i would think that it would be great if there is any signs of moisture coming up through the concrete jim
Old 12-10-2006, 03:43 PM
300mph
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, the colored concrete option is a great way to go on new construction. For those with existing garages, I have seen a new trend developing a lot here on the west coast. It's concrete polishing where they actually grind and polish the surface then apply a clear penetrating sealer. It looks really good. The surface is ground down to expose the internal aggregate that gives a nice textured look but still smooth and shiny. I have seen it done in older grocery stores where the linoleum floor was old and lifting. They just strip everything off the surface and grind and polish. Comes out looking beaufiful.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks great
Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool!

Old 12-10-2006, 08:14 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet Pics ...
Old 12-10-2006, 08:30 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the basic epoxy floor covering from Lowes almost 2 years ago and it's held up fine, and thats with alot of driving on/off in a hot Florida sun. However, now I'm thinking of redoing it for a color change. Anyone know if I etch it, can I resurface it?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Brand-X
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vigile
The final step is the clear coat, and also the most trouble some -- at least for me.

First, this stuff has powerful fumes and I was forced to work with the garage doors closed because it was cold outside, I didn't want stuff to blow in on the wet floor, and the other people in the house didn't want me to survive!!

Next, know that paiting clear is HARD. You might think you are covering everything, but find out after it dries that you missed 10 or so football sized spots. I did at least -- a $35 patch kit from Ucoat it though and all was fixed.

This coat made the floor shiny and pretty -- exactly what I was looking for.

A couple other final notes:

- crunch the flakes a little bit in your hand before you throw them as this keeps them from bunching up when you toss them and landing in big "chunks"
- DO NOT LEAVE your clear coat application roller on the step as you wait for it to dry...it will be STUCK THERE.
- Large flourscent lights can help you find spots you missed of clear coat

I'll answer any Qs that you guys have too!
It's been a few years...are you still happy with the results, have you had any problems, and would you use Ucoatit again? Thanks for the feedback!
CT
Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 AM
GS2013RTINT
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Did mine too with original color chip and turned out awesome. really easy to do!
Attached Images     
Old 07-02-2013, 02:21 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

I Don't know, what does that corn stalk or whatever mean on the corvette right side end red flag?

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 07-02-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:56 AM
BettermostCorvette
Racer

Beautiful Job!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:02 AM
BettermostCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Grand Sport Man
I Don't know, what does that corn stalk or whatever mean on the corvette right side end red flag?
LOL @ corn stalk! Its called a Fleur-de-lis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur-de-lis
Old 07-02-2013, 04:12 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by BettermostCorvette
LOL @ corn stalk! Its called a Fleur-de-lis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur-de-lis
Great, but what does it mean or stand for on the corvette flag? I could guess but would rather not.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 07-02-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 PM
blueyeszr1
Account suspended by request 6 Oct 2017

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your floor looks sweet. I have planned on doing mine for about a year now.

Get notified of new replies

To Ucoat it Garage Floor Install with Custom Corvette Logo

Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Nice floor! I think I'd prefer black, but it's a clean, nice look, and probably very easy to keep dirt off of.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:09 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by Grand Sport Man
Great, but what does it mean or stand for on the corvette flag? I could guess but would rather not.
It's a fleur-de-lis.

lol @ the corn stalk comments.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:39 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Looks super, nice job.

Quick Reply: Ucoat it Garage Floor Install with Custom Corvette Logo