C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline deteriorated in one month?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 07:09 AM
Rickmd
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Gasoline deteriorated in one month?

My 01 hasn't been receiving much attention since the arrival 07. I backed it out of the garage. Upon pulling it back it, I noticed it was miss-firing. Tried driving it hard over the next few days but the miss just got worse. Finally took it to Corvettes of Houston. They concluded that the gasoline had gone bad from sitting and had fouled the spark plugs. Changed the plugs and put it new gas and it now runs great! They said that they are seeing this quite often. I only use Exxon 93 (wife works for Exxon) so it wasn't some cheap off brand. I can't honestly say how long the old gas was in the tank but it wasn't that long. I picked up the 07 on 10-7 so maybe 7 weeks max. I was told that keeping the tank full reduces the amount of oxygen and helps extend fuel life. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:13 AM
vcheng
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you considered using Stabil?

I have used it, and never had a problem with engine restarting or running even after several months.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:18 AM
conecrusher
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've stored Corvettes and other vehicles that require premium fuel over the winter here for years, and rarely use Stabil. (It's still a great idea, I do use it in lawnmowers, snowblowers and other small engines that sit dormant for several months at a crack.
I've never had a fuel related problem with any of them.
Don't know if temperature has anything to do with it- it's cold here when the Corvettes are stored.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:23 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickmd
My 01 hasn't been receiving much attention since the arrival 07. I backed it out of the garage. Upon pulling it back it, I noticed it was miss-firing. I was told that keeping the tank full reduces the amount of oxygen and helps extend fuel life. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I have never heard of gas going "bad" that fast. Somehow I do not think we are getting the full picture.

As far as a full tank goes, the less room you have the less chance you have of getting condeinsation in your fuel tank.
I never heard the part of "reducing oxygen" to extend fuel life.
Guess you learn something new every day.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:00 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

i store all the time. a full tank of 93 octane will last for months and months and months. lower octanes tend to flash sooner but will still be good for many MONTHS.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Slow Ride 67
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasn't the gasoline going bad in a month, it probably was the newer E-10 fuel mixing with the old fuel and cleaning the sediment in your tank. The newer E-10 has 10 % alcohol in it, which replaces the MTBE. It has caused many problems in the boating industry, see thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1557279772 as it explains it more in detail and what products to use in addition to sta-bil.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Rickmd
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the info!! Sounds like what good to me. Since changing the plugs and putting in a new fuel filter just to be safe, the car is running strong. My wife has volunteered to drive it to work more often to help keep the fuel fresher. Wow! I sure openned myself up for that one.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:39 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... good thing everyone worked out ...

Get notified of new replies

To Gasoline deteriorated in one month?

Quick Reply: Gasoline deteriorated in one month?