C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 2006 winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Frank Santin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 2006 winter storage

Greetings,

I just got a C6 2006 and live in New Hampshire. We have to store our Vettes during the winter up here. Since it won't be moved or started for 5 months should I disconnect the battery. If I don't I am worried that if it is left that long battery will probably be dead.

We usually disconnect as I used to do with my '80 but I don't want to screw up any electronics or computor settings. Otherwise I will leave it alone if either way I am going to have a problem.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:51 PM
2008corvette
Melting Slicks

You could also hook up a battery tender to keep your battery charged all winter. I put mine away on November 1 for the long 5 month wait until spring.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:37 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm from MN also, and mine will be parked by Dec.1 or the first snow, whichever comes first. I also use a battery tender as to not have to disconnect the battery and lose settings, etc. Raising your tire pressure 5# or more is also usually part of the ritual to avoid flat spotting. Depending on your particular storage situation you may want to have a few mousetraps in the area; they can get in tight places and do major damage to interiors and wiring. I have this procedure on my '84, '03 and '05 to go through. Really wish our Winters weren't so brutal!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:38 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by trivette
I'm from MN also, and mine will be parked by Dec.1 or the first snow, whichever comes first. I also use a battery tender as to not have to disconnect the battery and lose settings, etc. Raising your tire pressure 5# or more is also usually part of the ritual to avoid flat spotting. Depending on your particular storage situation you may want to have a few mousetraps in the area; they can get in tight places and do major damage to interiors and wiring. I have this procedure on my '84, '03 and '05 to go through. Really wish our Winters weren't so brutal!
he is right. this is all you need to do plus have a full tank!!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

congrats on your new C6 Frank
Old 11-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Barry Silliphant
Instructor

go with the batter tender.I did last winter.no problems.congrats on your new car. I have 23,000 fun filled miles on mine.
Barry
Old 11-20-2006, 06:11 PM
SpdWhite
Racer

Battery tender and I also add stabilizer to the last tank of gas prior to storage.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:41 PM
PHulst
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

In years of talking with Corvette guys from around the country, and old car guys in general there are a lot of myths and misinformation regarding winter storage. Two of them include the need to start a car frequently in the winter, as well as the old adage about putting it up on jack stands. Over the years I’ve developed a routine and have some recommendations. Some of these are just the way I do it, some of these come from some very knowledgeable guys in the hobby. In no particular order…

I always add Sta-Bil to my fuel tank while at the gas station for a final fill-up, and then top off the tank. This will make sure that the fuel is in tip-top shape in the spring. The car is then stored with a full tank, and nothing can condense inside the tank.

Change your oil right before putting the car away for storage. For me this often is the same day I fill it with fuel. None of our own Corvettes currently get enough mileage on them during the year to change oil otherwise, so for us it also ends up being the yearly oil change. You will get rid of any contaminants, and the motor won’t have them sitting there for 6 months until you next use the car. The Oil Life Monitor in your Corvette is very accurate, so you might be able to do the same.

Wash and wax it just prior to storage. That dirt won’t come off any easier next spring. Clean the inside. But, be careful NOT to use any tire dressing or interior dressing. I’ve heard horror stories about mold in the interior. I usually leave the windows open about 2 inches as a result.

I put most of our cars into a Car Jacket, available at www.carbag.com. Even if you don’t like that idea, I always recommend putting down heavy plastic sheeting under the car. That does not include a blue tarp, as they have a lot of tiny holes. You’d be surprised how much condensation can come up through the floor and end up on the bottom of your Corvette. In Dad’s barn we also run 2 fans to keep air circulating and prevent condensation. Between the two methods, our cars always come out looking rust-free in the spring. I just looked at the brake rotors on Dad’s 2002, and there is not a speck of rust on them yet.

Disconnect the battery. For a C5 the battery will usually die within 3 weeks if the car is not used. Or, you could use Battery MINDer model 12117. Here is the company that makes it: http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12117.htm. You can find it between $40-45 on the web by checking Google, or here’s a good place: http://www.pacificbattery.com/batteryminder.html I would not use any battery charger while a car is in a Car Jacket, though.

Make sure your tires are fully inflated. In fact, it’s usually recommended to add 5-10 pounds extra. Just don’t forget to check the pressure in the spring as you may have to let some air out. It will keep them from getting flat spotted.

I hope this is helpful to you!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:17 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by SpdWhite
Battery tender and I also add stabilizer to the last tank of gas prior to storage.
Add a few extra PSI of air to the tires while you're at it too!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:27 PM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frank Santin
Greetings,

I just got a C6 2006 and live in New Hampshire. We have to store our Vettes during the winter up here. Since it won't be moved or started for 5 months should I disconnect the battery. If I don't I am worried that if it is left that long battery will probably be dead.

We usually disconnect as I used to do with my '80 but I don't want to screw up any electronics or computor settings. Otherwise I will leave it alone if either way I am going to have a problem.
I'm originally from Vermont, winters are similar but less right wing. ALWAYS drove my vette in winter. Life is too short -- drive it! "Live Free or Die", right?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:29 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

In my 40 years of driving and car collecting antique, sports cars, tractors, and gas engines I just put them in the garage with a car cover. If it's for more than a winter I put it up on jacks and let all but 10 lbs of air out of the tires, and drain the gas. The only problem on long storage is calipers/wheel cyllinders master cyllinders and rubber brake lines dry out. Other than that , never had a problem. I just start them up in the spring and go for a ride, always making sure I use at least a full tank of gas in any driving season. I use a battery tender on the work bench on those that are off the road for more than a season.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:20 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For my garaged C6:

1. Fill gas tank and add Sta-Bil (7.5 oz.); run through fuel lines.

2. Change oil and filter.

3. Park on moisture barrier

4. Inflate tires to 38 psi cold.

5. Apply sealant, wax, etc. to exterior paint.

6. Apply leather dressing to seat panel.

7. Apply vinyl dressing to interior; and to exterior black trim pieces.

8. Hook up Batter Tender. Run wire into engine compartment from underneath car and duct tape exposed wire to floor so you don't trip over it and yank it out.

9. Crack windows a bit.

10. Cover with Wolf Dustop inside car cover.

11. Wait for Spring.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Seeker135
Pro

Originally Posted by scrannel
I'm originally from Vermont, winters are similar but less right wing. ALWAYS drove my vette in winter. Life is too short -- drive it! "Live Free or Die", right?

We do get some decent days in the winter up here and i intend to drive mine whenever road conditions permit. Only takes a couple minutes to get it off the wheel dollies and pointed out the door.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 2006 winter storage

Quick Reply: C6 2006 winter storage