C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front ground air dam

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:24 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be certain you get the ones made specifically for the C6. The C5 units usually don't fit.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:28 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EdCalVette
Hi All,

I have trouble with my front ground air dam grinding on my driveway and alot of others places too. I hear there is a set of rollers that can be installed to lift the nose for clearance. Any advice on this, does it work? where can I get them or have them installed?
Thanks.
The rollers attach to the lower radiator supports. Now ask yourself, do you want the weight of the car on the radiator supports? In my opinion, letting the $13 air dam rub is better than risking breaking the radiator supports and possibly damaging the radiator. Better still, use the height adjusters built into the Corvette's suspension to gain enough ground clearance to avoid any contact with the roadway in the first place. That's the route I took after breaking two sets of radiator supports. Raising the ride height 1 inch has virtually eliminated roadway contact.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:33 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

The only rollers I have seen bolt on to the bottom of the radiator support. That piece is not strong, as it is only intended to hold the radiator in place. IMO, installing the rollers is a bad idea. Do not worry about scraping the air dam, it is designed to scrape.

With my car lowered, I've got less than 2 inches between the air dam and the ground. It scrapes a lot. Some driveways (including mine), speed bumps, even some badly uneven parts of the road when driving at speed. Looking at it, the air dam has obviously hit a lot of things, but it's not even close to being in need of replacement. In fact, I don't think that will ever happen. Nothing else has ever hit, and that's what matters.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:42 PM
EdCalVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Thanks to all

I agree that if bolted to the radiator frame, the weight is an issue.
I'd rather let the air dam take the beating.

Great advice!! Thanks to all.

I really like this car!!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:03 PM
EdCalVette
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09
Default Front ground air dam

Hi All,

I have trouble with my front ground air dam grinding on my driveway and alot of others places too. I hear there is a set of rollers that can be installed to lift the nose for clearance. Any advice on this, does it work? where can I get them or have them installed?
Thanks.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:07 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Wheels

I've got the roller wheels installed on my C6 with no problems at all. They have been on for about 6 months now and work great. Before the wheels I was dragging not only the air dam, but the bottom of the nose everytime I went out my driveway. Now the wheels prevent the nose drag and more gouging. I got mine from West Coast Corvettes.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:15 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
I've got the roller wheels installed on my C6 with no problems at all. They have been on for about 6 months now and work great. Before the wheels I was dragging not only the air dam, but the bottom of the nose everytime I went out my driveway. Now the wheels prevent the nose drag and more gouging. I got mine from West Coast Corvettes.

Hmmm That is the first time I've heard of rollers on a C6, I know they worked fine on C5s because the radiator support was a lot beefier on the C5. If I were you I'd check that, if you really are putting all the weight on the radiator supports in a C6, that they are not being distorted. Over time the distortion each time could cause metal fatigue and a really pricey repair job. Me, I just let the air dams scrape and replace them when they get too scruffy looking.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:18 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Hmmm That is the first time I've heard of rollers on a C6, I know they worked fine on C5s because the radiator support was a lot beefier on the C5. If I were you I'd check that, if you really are putting all the weight on the radiator supports in a C6, that they are not being distorted. Over time the distortion each time could cause metal fatigue and a really pricey repair job. Me, I just let the air dams scrape and replace them when they get too scruffy looking.

A new radiator and support brackets could be expensive.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:21 PM
EdCalVette
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09
Default Thanks to all

Thanks to all. I appreciate everyones input.

Think I'll let it scrape.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:21 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe

No evidence of radiator damage at all, and I check the wheels frequently.. The radiator support has skid plates originally designed into it to take bottoming out situations. The wheels bolt in to those skid plates and put no more weight on the support than the skid plates normally do if the car bottoms out. The air dams still scrape but if you hit a dip where the dams max out, you wont scrape the nose if you have the wheels. I put them on after that happened to me when I hit a big road dip and scraped the nose up.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:31 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Thanx for the info
Old 11-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=EdCalVette]Thanks to all. I appreciate everyones input.

Think I'll let it scrape.[/QUOTE]

A wise decision IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To Front ground air dam

Quick Reply: Front ground air dam