C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I REALLY need some help deciding - C6 w/procharger or C6 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:52 PM
SONKIST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default I REALLY need some help deciding - C6 w/procharger or C6 Z06?

Ok guys I'm back. Unfortunately, I was crazy enough to part with my ProCharged C5 awhile back. I've really missed it. So it is time to get me another 'Vette. With my latest "toy" sold and the $$ in bank, I'm ready to order one on Tuesday when everyone opens back up from the holiday.

I was getting about 500 hp to the rear wheels with my C5 and want to be there or above again this time around. I test drove a stock C6 and it didn't have NEAR enough guts for me. Handled just ok (F55 in sport mode) but liveable for what I do. Couldn't find a local Z06 and even if I could, it would be a chore to get them to let me test drive it.

I can get a C6 and have the guys over at MC Racing put on a ProCharger and dyno tune and be at +500 rwhp with a safe conservative tune. OR.....

Should I go for a Z06 this time? What does it take in conservative mods to get the Z to 500+ rwhp?

I'm NOT going to track or drag race the car. I just like the "pull" of high hp cars.

My conflict is that I can order a new loaded vert for $57k, throw $8k at it for a ProCharger/tune and for $64 be at about 515 rwhp. It would take at least $75k to acquire the Z06 plus who knows how much to bring it up to 500+ rwhp (maybe someone can fill in that number for me).

Either way, it's going to take mods to get to 500+ hp so warranty issues would be identical. Unless of course, someone thinks there is a way to get a Z06 to 500+ rwhp without the impact to the warranty that the ProCharger will have.

ProCharged C6 would have a power to weight ratio of 5.54 and cost $113.39 per hp. Stock Z06 would have a power to weight ratio of 6.2 at a cost per hp of $148.51. (before mods)

I may be exposing some ignorance of the "magic" of the Z06, but just looking at numbers I'm having a hard time justifying the Z06. I suppose if the stock performance of the Z06 would satisfy me without mods and I could retain the warranty, that might be a solid argument.

Alright, I suppose now I'm rambling. You guys get the picture I'm sure of my dilema, so what do you think?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:57 PM
BlakShark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the same boat you are in right now. Currently I own a c6 Z-51 and thinking either to trade it in for a Z06 or just add the procharger. So far I've gotten feed back from buddies that just add the Procharger or even the twin turbo but im still debating whether to take the procharger or the twin turbo..
Old 12-24-2006, 09:58 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

You want to be able to take your top off or not???It's that simple!
Old 12-24-2006, 10:20 PM
SpiralCoupe
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Since you have Procharger experience, I would opt for the vert. You will be happy with the improved system on the C6.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:50 PM
SONKIST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

jesse - I could go either way with the top issue.

BlakShark - So are your buddies saying to do either the Procharger or twin turbo and NOT the Z06? I find it interesting that you have the c6 z51 and are anxious to do something as I knew I would after my test drive. Have you driven a Z06?

SpiralCoupe - Are you referring to the "improved system" being the diff from a c5 to a c6 or did they improve the ProCharger?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:50 PM
06C6Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jesse12804
You want to be able to take your top off or not???It's that simple!

Good point, for me it is a no-brainer. I love the Z, it is in a different league when it comes to Corvettes. This car is all that is published and more, its a monster with charm.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:13 PM
BlakShark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlownYellowC5
jesse - I could go either way with the top issue.

BlakShark - So are your buddies saying to do either the Procharger or twin turbo and NOT the Z06? I find it interesting that you have the c6 z51 and are anxious to do something as I knew I would after my test drive. Have you driven a Z06?

SpiralCoupe - Are you referring to the "improved system" being the diff from a c5 to a c6 or did they improve the ProCharger?
To your question: My friends say just to add the procharger or the twin turbo and forget about the Z06. Again I'm still debating and looking for the differences between the twin turbo and the procharger. I've driven a Z06 and yes you can totally feel the difference from the C6-Z51 and the Z06 (no brainer) but in terms of money wise and numbers in my own opinion I will stick with my C6-Z51 and modd my car up to the procharger or the twin turbo.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:20 PM
SONKIST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by BlakShark
To your question: My friends say just to add the procharger or the twin turbo and forget about the Z06. Again I'm still debating and looking for the differences between the twin turbo and the procharger. I've driven a Z06 and yes you can totally feel the difference from the C6-Z51 and the Z06 (no brainer) but in terms of money wise and numbers in my own opinion I will stick with my C6-Z51 and modd my car up to the procharger or the twin turbo.
Since you have driven the Z06, do you think if you would have gotten the Z06 that it would have satisfied you as is?
Old 12-24-2006, 11:30 PM
SpiralCoupe
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The C6 setup is easier to install and many of the bugs have been worked out. Especially with the FMIC. I opted for the D1 and it is rock solid. With a mild tune I'm over 500 at the wheels. Also, I;m like you...just wanted that occasional kick in the butt that only FI can give. The Z06 is a great car, but my Z51 rides smooth and quiet when I want it too, and it'll make you shart on your self when you hit the gas.
Just my .02. Either car will be a blast!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:41 PM
SONKIST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by SpiralCoupe
The C6 setup is easier to install and many of the bugs have been worked out. Especially with the FMIC. I opted for the D1 and it is rock solid. With a mild tune I'm over 500 at the wheels. Also, I;m like you...just wanted that occasional kick in the butt that only FI can give. The Z06 is a great car, but my Z51 rides smooth and quiet when I want it too, and it'll make you shart on your self when you hit the gas.
Just my .02. Either car will be a blast!
Sounds like my old C5! Think you can outrun a Z06? Also, your car looks awesome lowered. What did you use?
Old 12-25-2006, 12:01 AM
SpiralCoupe
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Lowered the car on the stock bolts. I'd hate to line up against a Z06, but if the drivers are equal it'll boil down to HP and I'll have a little edge.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:18 AM
SONKIST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by SpiralCoupe
Lowered the car on the stock bolts.
Can you do that with either the F55 or the Z51 suspension?
Old 12-25-2006, 12:40 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

This is just food for thought.....go with the Lingenfelter 403 or 427 package conversion. IMHO a superior alternative.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Radical05
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default hmmm

Pretty simple. What are your needs and using it for. Now a 10K upgrade or a 20-30K upgrade for more HP and looks. Personally I like all but the front Z06 scoop. If it were all that to me I would get a SC and Z06 rear end conversion and call it a day.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:48 AM
tschux
Advanced

"I'm NOT going to track or drag race the car. I just like the "pull" of high hp cars."

I'm with you on this one. My situation is a little different then your's though, the extra cost for the Z06 was a little too much for my pocket book, so a Procharger is in my near future. C6 Z51 at (near) invoice + a Procharger = fun I can afford.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:01 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Get the Z06 and move on.

The more I think about it the moreI wish I had done the Z06, buy I refused to pay over list and that is not the case today. You can buy them at list.

Last edited by timd38; 12-25-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:54 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 249 Posts

I think it comes down to this:

If you want a manual tranny and can afford the Z06, BUY the Z06.
It comes with 440rwhp out of the box and will most likely be just as fast or faster than a higher rwhp Procharged C6.

The 5 year powertrain warranty on the Stock Z06 is a definite plus.

Now, if you prefer an automatic, buy the automatic C6 and mod it, but realize you might have no warranty.

I have a 2005 A4/3.15 C6 Vert and just recently had a 2006 C6 manual coupe.

For various reasons I wanted a 2007 and I like to go to the drag strip.

First I test drove a 2007 Z06 and after that I test drove a 2007 C6 with the A6 auto tranny.

The Z06 was $78K and the C6 was $43K.

Last time at the track I watched a much more powerful Z06 running low 12s at a high mph and I watched a bone stock C6 A6 running 12.2s consistently in the 115s.

At that point my choice became clear, my driving is average so I went with the C6 A6.

Even the stock C6 has plenty of pull to keep you interested, just add an exhaust to make it sound nice to complete the experience.

Howard

Get notified of new replies

To I REALLY need some help deciding - C6 w/procharger or C6 Z06?

Old 12-25-2006, 08:20 AM
excessive81
Safety Car

well i could have either but i did the procharger and LOVE it! i like the removable top, stronger steel frame, and being diffrent. i also love the blower sound and there is no way i would put a blower on a ls7 unless i tore it down and started over with new crank rods, and pistons. at that point you could have just as strong a ls2 or better lsx!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 08:28 AM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I struggled with this decision for several months. I have a silver 06/A6. I really wanted the new A6 automatic when it was introduced. If I had it to do over I would probably went with a Z06, my local dealer had 1 allocation and would have given it to me at list. That was late 05 when the cost was WAY over list. However since I did'nt and after running the numbers on trading my 06 with 15,000 miles it just did'nt make sense or cents to me. I had been reading about the APS twin-turbo system since it was introduced and after much research (thanks to forum people like "shopdog" for input) I feel that is the way to go. On Dec. 8 myself and a member of my Vette club (Blue Ridge Corvette Club) drove 10 hours to Dynotech in Fort Wayne, Indiana left my car there and drove (rental car) 10 hours back the next day. They have installed the twins and after talking to Rick I have decided to change the rears to 315s. After doing that Rick will tune my car and I can hardly wait to get it back. When people ask me what I got for Xmas I say my gifts in Indiana. Should get it back in a few weeks and will post as soon as I can. Good luck with your choice.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:16 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

STS Turbo Kit or ProCharger. I like the Z06 in concept, but the execution and the dealer price jacking(still going on around here!) leaves a lot to be desired Still, you can put the ProCharger on a Z06.........

Quick Reply: I REALLY need some help deciding - C6 w/procharger or C6 Z06?