C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maintenance 1 message

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:08 AM
Tim06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance 1 message

Does "Maintenance 1" show up on the DIC or should the maintenance 1 (and 2) be performed when the oil change message comes on?
Old 12-27-2006, 04:32 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Maintenance two items should be preformed at every other oil change unless a year has passed since last maintenance was done. Dic does not keep track of maint 1 or maint 2 schedules. You or dealer have to keep track of that manually.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:35 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gota07
Maintenance two items should be preformed at every other oil change unless a year has passed since last maintenance was done. Dic does not keep track of maint 1 or maint 2 schedules. You or dealer have to keep track of that manually.
Pretty well sums it up. A little more detail: What gota07 means about "a year has passed" is if it's been a year since your last oil change, then the owner manual tells you to do Maintenance II regardless of what your last maintenace was.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:17 AM
Tim06
Racer

Thanks, I already did one oil change but it was my first one for the new car at about 3500mi so maint 1 was probally not required. Next one ill be sure to do the maintenance. Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:59 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
Pretty well sums it up. A little more detail: What gota07 means about "a year has passed" is if it's been a year since your last oil change, then the owner manual tells you to do Maintenance II regardless of what your last maintenace was.
That's a good way to put it.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:50 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim06
Thanks, I already did one oil change but it was my first one for the new car at about 3500mi so maint 1 was probally not required. Next one ill be sure to do the maintenance. Thanks again.
Maintenance I is actually ONLY an oil/filter change, plus checking fluid levels and inspecting the air filter. Do Maintenance II at your next oil change or 12 months from when you did the first change.

Frankly, if you wait for the DIC to tell you it's time to change your oil (as much as 10-12K miles), then EVERY oil change will turn out to be Maintenance II. The average driver is going to put about that or less on a daily driver in the better part of year. Even if you haven't gotten the DIC message after twelve months, the engine oil should be changed at least annually anyway, and at that time, you should do Maintenance II.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:30 PM
GOOG's C6
Instructor

What is required for a amaintnace II?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:48 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Here's the list of Maintenance II items from the chart on page 435 of the '07 manual. I did take out the "See page XXX" references to keep it shorter.

Change engine oil and filter. Reset oil life system. An Emission Control Service.
Visually check for any leaks or damage.
Inspect engine air cleaner filter. If necessary, replace filter.
Check tire inflation pressures and tire wear.
Inspect brake system.
Check engine coolant and windshield washer fluid levels and add fluid as needed.
Perform any needed additional services.
Inspect suspension and steering components.
Inspect engine cooling system.
Inspect wiper blades.
Inspect restraint system components.
Lubricate body components.
Replace passenger compartment air filter.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:18 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Here's the list of Maintenance II items from the chart on page 435 of the '07 manual. I did take out the "See page XXX" references to keep it shorter.
something you can do yourself?
Does the dealership charge over $400 for this like on other cars?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:42 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by LS WON
something you can do yourself?
Does the dealership charge over $400 for this like on other cars?
For most people it will depend on their desire to spend the time wrenching on their Vette, their level of mechanical ablilty, and how well their garage is equipped. For me personally, I think I could get most of the checks done well enough for the typical Maintence I and Maintence II items, but probably hand it over to Mr. Goodwrench for the major items in the chart that list the mileage based services.

As far as the cost goes, I have no experience with that yet. I have only had my Vette since 07/31/06 and have under 7,000 miles on it so far, so I haven't needed any major service checks done on it yet.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

For most people it will depend on their desire to spend the time wrenching on their Vette, their level of mechanical ablilty, and how well their garage is equipped. For me personally, I think I could get most of the checks done well enough for the typical Maintence I and Maintence II items, but probably hand it over to Mr. Goodwrench for the major items in the chart that list the mileage based services.

As far as the cost goes, I have no experience with that yet. I have only had my Vette since 07/31/06 and have under 7,000 miles on it so far, so I haven't needed any major service checks done on it yet.
Same thing here too except I have close to 15,000 miles now.

Get notified of new replies

To maintenance 1 message

Quick Reply: maintenance 1 message