C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Bose/Nav crackling door speaker (tweeter?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Headley Lamar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Bose/Nav crackling door speaker (tweeter?)

Driver side speaker crackling:

Any body else experience moderate crackling from the smaller speaker (tweeter?) located in the door. Very noticeable when the route guidance system chick voice talks to me. The larger door speaker was erroneously replaced (under warranty) in an attempt to solve the problem. It goes back in next Tuesday, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this problem. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a problem with the door panel which causes a similar sound.

The hardware is separating causing a vibration in about 3 spots. My 05' was built in April 05'.

Last edited by 70454; 01-04-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:36 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I'd have the dealer check what 70454 mentioned.

BTW... it's not a tweeter there.. it's a 3.5" "full range" piece of crap.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:22 PM
leimomi
Instructor

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Headley Lamar

Any body else experience moderate crackling from the smaller speaker (tweeter?) located in the door. Very noticeable when the route guidance system chick voice talks to me. The larger door speaker was erroneously replaced (under warranty) in an attempt to solve the problem. It goes back in next Tuesday, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this problem. Thanks!
Yep. This defect drove me crazy clear across the country after our NCM delivery (why didn't we or they catch this before leaving?). When I changed out the mid/hi's for Boston Acoustics I found the obvious reason: The (assembled in Mexico) Bose speaker cone was mis-aligned, causing the voice coil to rub.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Headley Lamar
Instructor

Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 01-06-2007, 02:59 PM
dollarhyde
Advanced

Would that be considered under the GM warranty / repllacement policy?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:43 AM
esg
Heel & Toe

my c6 is in today for same problem (driver side speaker issue) What was the final outcome for you?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Headley Lamar
Instructor

Originally Posted by esg
my c6 is in today for same problem (driver side speaker issue) What was the final outcome for you?
Just back from Gwinnett Place Chevy this morning. They quickly listened again, and had me back on the road in a matter of minutes. They are going to replace the 3.5" speaker (GM warranty). They had to order it so I will update after it arrives and is installed.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:47 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Headley Lamar

Yep, had both the left door speakers replaced, now it sounds fine. The dealer I went too did both so they knew it was fixed.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Jay13
Race Director

Location: . [Rotorhead] "You seem to be a douche. What I'm getting at is just STFU" [/Rotorhead]
St. Jude Donor '06 & '09 & '11

I thought I had a problem in my 06; now I realize its static. I have a bizarre kind of crackling (faint tinkling sound?) that occurs every day in the same 3 miles stretch of my commute. I never hear it anywhere else and its like clockwork; starting and ending in the exact same spot.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:57 AM
esg
Heel & Toe

Got car back yesterday. "Unable to duplicate symptom with speaker". Said found no TSB for speakers. Incredible but predictable for this dealer (Circle Chevy NJ). As I was driving home crackling distortion as bad as ever (worse with certain frequencies---particularly piano) Dealer will have factory rep look at car in the next few days. Headley, did replacement of 3.5" speaker fix the problem?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Headley Lamar
Instructor

Originally Posted by esg
Got car back yesterday. "Unable to duplicate symptom with speaker". Said found no TSB for speakers. Incredible but predictable for this dealer (Circle Chevy NJ). As I was driving home crackling distortion as bad as ever (worse with certain frequencies---particularly piano) Dealer will have factory rep look at car in the next few days. Headley, did replacement of 3.5" speaker fix the problem?
I expected the same thing when I took mine in originally and I wasn't let down. To be fair I had taken it in to get the ashtray replaced and just mentioned that the speaker sounded garbled. When I picked it up after the ashtray repair they said they couldn't hear the problem and to bring it back.

I found a few songs (on CD) that really made the problem stand out and played them for the guy that checked my car in when I returned. Also, took it in in the morning when there is a lot of talking on the FM stations. It really stands out when people are talking on FM stations. Also if you have Nav, the guidance voice really amplifies the problem. My local dealership has a (relatively) fantastic service department. They are really thorough.

They had to order the speaker, so the work has not been done yet. I will post an update when it is complete. Good luck with yours!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
esg
Heel & Toe

thanks for the reply and advice. I was unable to be there when they checked out car (Night drop). Will go in person next time.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 AM
esg
Heel & Toe

update for others with similar problem in future: had driver side tweeter replaced resolving problem
Old 01-23-2007, 11:42 AM
caw0917
Instructor

Originally Posted by 70454
I have a problem with the door panel which causes a similar sound.

The hardware is separating causing a vibration in about 3 spots. My 05' was built in April 05'.
I had the same thing. Searched around here and found a couple threads discussing door panel rattle. First solution was to no-kidding push the door panel back against the door frame. You should hear the zip-tie-type fasteners click a couple times.

That worked for me, but if it doesn't for you I guess taking the door panel off is next.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Headley Lamar
Instructor

Originally Posted by esg
update for others with similar problem in future: had driver side tweeter replaced resolving problem
The speaker has arrived. It goes back in this Thursday (1/25). I will update with the results!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 PM
ckvette2007
Advanced

Default Curious

That is funny! I have a base model no bose, but the last few times i was out I kept hearing crackling from the passenger side. My wife couldn't hear it but I could. I told her to put her hand over it and it was gone!! I could assume that it is the speaker or attachment. Since i put it away for the winter I will address this in the spring and have it fixed!! Thought i was going crazy because i was asking her do you hear it and her response was no!! But i had her sit on my side and she could go figure!!

Get notified of new replies

To 06 Bose/Nav crackling door speaker (tweeter?)

Old 01-23-2007, 10:53 PM
esg
Heel & Toe

For me the problem was at first intermittent, most noticeable after about 20 minutes of driving. More recently speaker distortion was pretty much constant. Distortion would vary depending what audio frequencies were playing and the equalizer settings . For me, distortion was worst when listening to solo piano.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Headley Lamar
Instructor

Default *****update******

Fixed at last! Fixed at last! Thank God almighty, it's fixed at last.

Short story: It was a defective driver-side 3.5" speaker. It was replaced yesterday. I literally drove around last night for hours just listening to music. Ahhhhhhhhhhh... There were songs I would skip on my ipod because they sounded so bad. Not any more! The expression "like night and day" does not even begin to cover it! I guess I didn't realize how bad it was since it had always been like that.

It took a little work (and two trips to the dealership) to get it fixed, but it has made all the difference in the world. Gwinnett Place Chevy really stuck with me and worked hard at getting the problem resolved. Ryan Harris with GP Chevy is a motivated and hard working "Service Advisor". If you are in the area, I would recommend scheduling service through him. Great guy!

esq and ckvette2007, good luck with this issue and your dealerships. If I can be of any help just PM me.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Radical05
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default swapped

I replaced my door and center speakers with Infinity. Very good sound improvement and not hard to replace. Cost was $110 for 4 speakers as they come in pairs.

Quick Reply: 06 Bose/Nav crackling door speaker (tweeter?)