C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette Z51 VS Porsche 911 or 911s...who win?

Old 01-15-2007, 11:35 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by debmwb
Ya know...I don't know why everyone is quoting 0-? numbers and 1/4 miles times. That wasn't what the porsche was built for anyway. One would want to look at the C6 vs. Porsche times on a road course to get a better feel for performance between the two (I think they did that at "The Ring").

You are right on the money!

A stock 911S vs stock C6 (z51 or not) comparison will give an advantage to the Porsche in the twisties. However, once you hit a straight away it is all 6.0 liter Corvette.

In other words, on a road course (which is where these two cars should be compared) if the track is dominated by twisties/tight turns and very small straight-aways (and I do mean very small straight aways) the Porsche will turn lower lap times.

But, on the other hand, if the road course has some low-speed and high-speed turns along with a back straight or a couple of straights for the C6's LS2 to stretch its leggs (which is how most road courses are set-up) The C6 has the advantage.

One more observasion is torque! LS2's torque compared to the 911's is a joke.
100 lb/ft advantage Corvette. Really makes it hard for the Carerra S to overcome this factor!

Lastly, the better braking on the Carerra S (remember stock vs stock comparison) gives the Porsche some advantage over the C6.

Equal drivers on most road courses=Stock C6 kicks stock 911-S A$$.
Upgrade C6 suspension (coil-overs, sways bars, tires, etc) and brakes and you just eliminated all chances for the 911 to come out ahead. But that's to be debated on another thread I'm sure.

Last edited by DSOMC6; 01-15-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:55 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Marina Blue
Here are some real world tests you can quote:

The December 2004 issue of Car and Driver tested a Z51 equipped C6 against a 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera (not the S). Results:

0-60 mph
Porsche 911 - 4.3 seconds
Corvette C6, Z51 - 4.1 seconds

0-100 mph
Porsche - 10.5
Corvette - 9.6

0-150 mph
Porsche - 28.5
Corvette - 25.0

quarter-mile
Porsche - 12.8 @ 109
Corvette - 12.6 @ 114

Motor Trend in their January 2005 issue compared a 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S with a 2005 Corvette Z51. Here are the results:

0-60 mph
Porsche Carrera S - 4.2
Corvette C6, Z51 - 4.4

0-100 mph
Porsche - 10.7
Corvette - 10.1

quarter-mile
Porsche - 12.6 @ 111.1
Corvette - 12.6 @ 113.2

Motor Trend also did a track analysis at Willow Springs Intl. Motor Sports Park.

Porsche 911 Carrera S best lap - 100.1 seconds
Corvette C6, Z51 best lap - 99.49 seconds

Road and Track in their March 2005 issue did a nine car comparison to determine the best all-around sports car for 2005. The C6 Corvette with Z51 option came away with the title. Here are some of the results:

0-60 mph
2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S - 3.9 seconds
2005 Corvette C6, Z51 - 4.5 seconds

0-100 mph
Porsche Carrera S - 9.6 seconds
Corvette C6, Z51 - 9.8 seconds

quarter-mile
Porsche Carrera S - 12.3 @ 114.8
Corvette C6, Z51 - 12.8 @ 114.5

Concerning the Carrera S's acceleration numbers Road and Track had this to say: "These numbers were so extraordinary that we took the car to MD Automotive in Westminster, California, to measure the Carrera S's output on the dynamometer." They said the car came away clean. Road and Track previously tested a Carrera S that did 4.4 for 0-60 and 12.8 for the quarter-mile. Their explanation is as follows: "The only explanation for the difference in acceleration times is that this particular engine had a proper break-in period (it had 5400 miles on the odometer as opposed to the 1200 miles on our previous test car.)" They did not say how many miles were on the Corvette. I personally feel something was done with the Porsche to give it an advantage. Those numbers are too far out-of-line with any other magazine tests. Could it have been special tuning with sticky tires? Ringers have been given to magazine testers in the past.

Road and Track also tested the cars on Buttonwillows West Loop. Here are lap times for the top three cars:

1. 66.32 seconds - Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
2. 66.60 seconds - Dodge Viper SRT-10
3. 66.71 seconds - Porsche Carrera S Coupe

Hope this helps settle the argument.
Excellent post. It does settle it for me.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:59 AM
RedC6
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ricatthebeach
huh? where did this new word, "automatic" come from? In 05, you couldn't get a Z51 performance package with an automatic, (I think).
Wow dude, you've just lost all credibility when talking corvettes as far as I'm concerned. Yet you keep bashing people on this thread. Go troll somewhere else, please!! I'll spell it out for you, read it twice and take some notes, next time you're at a corvette meet you can spew all this knowledge out and impress everyone!! LOL.

AUTOMATIC : A mechanism of the drivetrain which takes the power from the engine and transfers it to the driveshaft or wheels. Without using a clutch, it uses a torque converter and fluid coupler to change the gear ratio. It automatically effects gear changes to meet varying road and load conditions. Gear changing is done through a series of oil operated clutches and bands.

The Z51 package was available on A4 C6's, where have you been? And in '05, the only year for the A4 tranny in a C6, there was a performance axle option which gave you the same ratio that was in the Z51 package. In '06, the A6 was used and there was no longer a performance axle option offered.

Oh, and Ricatta, you're on my ignore list, you don't have anything to contribute and have wasted enough of my time. Bye.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
But another point to consider is that the times quoted in the automotive literature, while run by professionals, are usually not times produced by flogging the living $#@+ out of the car.

Some will tell you up front that the times posted in the test cars are not the absolute quickest times which can be produced while abusing the car.

In this regard the times shown in the periodicals are generally slower than the manufacturer's times, and typically much, much slower than the times produced by an owner who is beating his car to within an inch of it's life, and closer to the times that a slightly above average driver can expect.

And head up, if you are into drag racing. None of that bracket crap.

Thats true too. However there are some people who can take a base manual Vette and beat a lesser driver in a C6 Z06. Like you say though, it certainly does not prove which car is quicker or faster however. Thats something which can better be determined by equal drivers at the same venue.

Thats why those Porsche vs Corvette numbers are accurate. About as accurate as you are going to get.
Having read the major car mags for the better part of 35 years, R&T has always stated that they do not beat the crap out of the car to get their performance numbers. That is why in 96% of the cases, they have the worst numbers. C and D has always prided itself on getting the best numbers out of the cars--which, btw, are tested at the same time by all the mags, generally. Motor Trend is somewhere in the middle, although they have shied away from top speed tests over the past couple of years because of the death of the C and D tester. C and D had a very green Vette when they tested it against the 911--700 miles on it, and it still won--by a hair. Just one comment on the Z51 issue: if the option is meaningless to performance, why is it that all tests in the mags are done on a Z51 version of the car? Same bashing as the Ram Air guys got with the Trans Ams. Those who didn't have it said it wasn't worth it. Those who did, knew that it was. Just my 2 centavos...
Old 01-16-2007, 07:48 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Whiterock1
....Just one comment on the Z51 issue: if the option is meaningless to performance, why is it that all tests in the mags are done on a Z51 version of the car?
Or a Z06 version. Thats a good point. And for me, pretty much seals the ongoing "debate" about the issue, and really tells anyone, all they need to know about it.

The obvious point you just made is the reason why I tend not to discuss that issue here nearly as much as I once did.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:00 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The obvious point you just made is the reason why I tend not to discuss that issue here nearly as much as I once did.

Reading that warms the cockles of my heart

Just one comment on the Z51 issue: if the option is meaningless to performance, why is it that all tests in the mags are done on a Z51 version of the car?

Most likely because GM provides the mags with Corvettes with the Z51
option and I guess only GM could only answer that question Btw-speaking strictly for myself, the Z51 option is meaningful for some measure of extra track performance over the bone stock FE1 and F55.
Though not to say the FE1 or F55 cannot be brought up to that same performance with some mods.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:44 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by siffert

Reading that warms the cockles of my heart
May the "cockles" of your heart continue to bask in the warm glow of the fire and passion of my prior post, now, henceforth and forevermore.

Originally Posted by siffert
[Most likely because GM provides the mags with Corvettes with the Z51
option and I guess only GM could only answer that question ...
In my mind, they pretty much answer it, through their tendancy to provide the same type car, especially when their car is to be evaluated against an offering from another manufacturer. To me, it says that their approach is that if their base Vette is to be tested, then they are trying to put their best foot forward, and leaving nothing to chance.

They could send any base Vette they wanted. But their choice is always consistent. And they rarely, if ever, lose in comparisons with offerings from other manufacturers.

To me its self evident. And as I mentioned before, the above is the biggest reason why I tend not to belabor the point any further.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-16-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vette Z51 VS Porsche 911 or 911s...who win?