C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Working iPod Interface in an '06 C6 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 07:53 PM
wmhpmp
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working iPod Interface in an '06 C6 Vert

As you may have read, I did a post on the iConnect several months back when it first came to my attention through my dealer. There was a Service bulletin out at that time about the iConnect and battery problems. The tech that was going to install the unit recommended against doing so since it was supposed to kill the battery in the Corvette. Fearing for my car’s health I decided to wait on the GM PAL that was coming soon. I have never been accused of being overly patient so when the timeframe for the PAL drew out to many months I went looking for an alternative.

I happened across a contact name and number at Smart Park, the makers of the iConnect, and figured a conversation about the service bulletin would be in order. After all, GM dealers are selling the unit, right? The gentleman I spoke with is Roger C Hooker Jr., VP of SmartPark Automotive Technologies. According to him, the service bulletin was righteous, at one time, but had never been revised. When the iConnect first came out there was an issue with the Corvette software. The Corvette computer sends out pulses intermittently to see if anything is on. The first version of the iConnect would respond to that inquiry and as a result the computer would power up many more systems. The effect of these systems being activated is the eventual demise of the battery. The new iConnect firmware properly handles the Corvette computer inquiries.

I was interested but concerned about the installation since the installer at the dealer did not know where the XM module was located in my car. Roger put me in touch with an established company here in Florida with multiple locations and a track record of successful installations, Techni-Car. Craig Johnson in the Fort Lauderdale location was very helpful and worked around my schedule to get the unit put in. Their price was very good as well.

I took the plunge; I have a working iPod installation!!!

It works off of the XM screen. You use the category buttons to switch play lists and then the seek buttons move through the songs. The song, artist and album display at the top of the screen just like the XM songs do! Only one downside to this, if you have the HUD in street mode it doesn’t know you are not on the XM station and doesn’t say you are on the iPod. I usually stay in the competition mode anyway.

If you want to contact Roger with Smart Park you can reach him at: 714.655.7752

If you want to contact Craig with Techni-Car you can reach him at: 954.979.9300

After a couple of days of use it is working fine and sounding great. I will post again if I see anything unexpected but as of now I couldn’t be happier.

Here are some pictures of the installation –

Tools the installer used...

He had to remove the plasic connectors behind the waterfall...

Here is the XM Module...

It felt like I was in the dentist's chair...

Ready for the cable...

Ready for the road...

Last edited by wmhpmp; 01-23-2007 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Phone number
Old 01-23-2007, 08:09 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice install, wish they had a solution for a Base (non-bose) radio. However, I decided against installing my IPOD in the center console because it's like an oven. I was afraid it would fry my IPOD in no time at all. I ended mounting mine with a Pro Clip on the side of the center console.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:11 PM
froggs
Instructor

Nice post. What was the total $$$ damage for parts/labor????
Old 01-23-2007, 09:25 PM
jaxgator
Le Mans Master

Location: Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Awesome!

Got any shots of the NAV with the unit in operation?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:09 PM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post some display pix? I have the same setup as you in my C6 Coupe. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:23 PM
cam6797
1st Gear

Default iPod interface

Thanks for the info on the iPod interface. Do you know if it would work for the 2005 model as well?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:28 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

I want one for my 05 Coupe. This may be it. Thanks for the post.

anothercrisis
Old 02-14-2007, 01:21 PM
SONKIST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

You say this works off the XM controller.

I have a 3lt on order. Does this automatically have XM? I got the Nav upgrade.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:01 PM
User 020720
Race Director

I currently use a FM type transmitter for my iPod and although it works alright the audio quality isn't the best. I like this post idea better. I also have a little gizmo called the mp3cdkey that plugs into any 12v outlet and it will accept a usb thumbdrive up to 1gb and will play mp3 tunes through the FM radio the same way. But it's almost pointless to do this since the head unit will play burned mp3 discs. I just like that I can take it with me in a rental car, etc.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Sven
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

thanks
Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 PM
jaxgator
Le Mans Master

Location: Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by No More Exotics!
You say this works off the XM controller.

I have a 3lt on order. Does this automatically have XM? I got the Nav upgrade.
If you ordered 3LT then you will have XM.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Wmhpmp-----------Thanks for the post. Right now I'm running a USA Spec unit. I only get 5 playlists with horrible song and artist info. With over 3300 songs that really sucks. Just got off the phone with Roger. He gave me the part#GM LN31600 (07 Vette, 06 is diff part # ). Found a supplier and just ordered one. Should get it in about a week or so. They can't keep them on the shelves.
Now I'm happy.
Thanks

Last edited by Fcal; 02-14-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:48 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice ...
Old 02-14-2007, 05:46 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcal
Wmhpmp-----------Thanks for the post. Right now I'm running a USA Spec unit. I only get 5 playlists with horrible song and artist info. With over 3300 songs that really sucks. Just got off the phone with Roger. He gave me the part#GM LN31600 (07 Vette, 06 is diff part # ). Found a supplier and just ordered one. Should get it in about a week or so. They can't keep them on the shelves.
Now I'm happy.
Thanks
Keep us informed because most people said the GM Ipod interface would not be available until June. Maybe the ones for the 07 came out first. Do you have to have a 3LT for the GM interface to work? I have a 2006 2LT with the base radio.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Glen, the install on this post was on an 06'. The units seem to be out there, just not from GM yet. I called Smart Park to get the part#.
Try JP Customs in Texas for the part. It's a truck site, but my interface is the same as for the 07' Tahoe.
Not sure if you need 3LT, but you do need the XM pkg. from what I understand. Talk to Roger at Smart Park. He was very helpful.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:31 PM
teazr1
Racer

Originally Posted by jaxgator
If you ordered 3LT then you will have XM.
Might want to add a bit of clarification as lots of 2005 owners call their 1SB cars 3LT. The 3LT equivalent in 2005 does not necessarily have XM.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:36 AM
rtibbit
Instructor

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To Working iPod Interface in an '06 C6 Vert

Old 02-17-2007, 10:39 AM
05_C6Z51
Pro

I going to order one but it looks like th photo has the XM module behind the seats for the convertible. where is the XM module on the 05 coupe?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:18 AM
jwolfrom
Instructor

On the 2006 coupes it is on the drivers side right above the rear wheel arch, just behind the carpeting. You can easily pull back the carpet in that area. There was a thread called "C6 I-POD Neucleus NC-X2i Interface nightmare" that has a DIY on installing a similar unit in a coupe. No tools required and no drilling necessary - it works - that's what I did.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:07 PM
rtibbit
Instructor

Default Other Info?

Originally Posted by jwolfrom
On the 2006 coupes it is on the drivers side right above the rear wheel arch, just behind the carpeting. You can easily pull back the carpet in that area. There was a thread called "C6 I-POD Neucleus NC-X2i Interface nightmare" that has a DIY on installing a similar unit in a coupe. No tools required and no drilling necessary - it works - that's what I did.
What location did you chose for the iPod in your coupe?

If the interface to the car's audio system controls works as well a I hope, there would be little need to touch the iPod. Could an iPod location be found near the rear wheel arch? That would eliminate the need to run any wiring.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Working iPod Interface in an '06 C6 Vert