C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 tire pressure???????

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:46 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Default 06 tire pressure???????

What is the tire pressure on my 06 Corvette not a Z06
Old 01-28-2007, 05:48 PM
blkvette1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inside the drivers door it says "cold tire pressure - 30lbs".
Old 01-28-2007, 05:49 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by blkvette1
thank you
Old 01-28-2007, 05:55 PM
blkvette1
Pro

Anything for a forum member. Also, I have read that if you error, error on the plus side.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

Outside temp will make it vary until tires warm up
Old 01-28-2007, 06:15 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what your tire pressures air look on the DIC. Then adjust them to what the manual says.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:20 PM
panama
Advanced

When outside air temp is in 60's tire air should start cold at around 28-29 and will heat to 32 or 33 during "moderative" driving. At around 20 deg outside I have seen my average cold tire pressure go down to 27 but it go up to about 31 during moderate driving. I guess that I just can't resist taking my new C6 out even during the dry cold winter weather.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Gburg
Pro

With clear bone-dry winter roads.... who needs a battery tender????
I had to bleed-off some psi from my front tires. 35 soon became 37-38 psi. So now my fronts are 33 and 33, and the rears are 31 and 31. Should the tires be an even 30 psi during the winter? Recommendations?

Gburg
Old 01-29-2007, 09:59 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Chevy engineers and designers decided that 30#'s pressure @ AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE gives the best combination of ride and handling for daily street drivers. I know the owners manual says "cold" tire presure but "cold" is just a poor choice of terminology by the editors of the Owners Manual. If it's 20° BELOW ZERO your starting tire presure should be 30#'s AND if it's 120° ABOVE ZERO your starting tire pressure should be 30#'s. YOU have to adjust the pressure to the temperature, so far Chevy doesn't have an electronic nanny that will do it for you. When the outside temperature drops you need to add air pressure, when the outside temerature rises you have to bleed off air pressure.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:11 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by haljensen
Chevy engineers and designers decided that 30#'s pressure @ AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE gives the best combination of ride and handling for daily street drivers. I know the owners manual says "cold" tire presure but "cold" is just a poor choice of terminology by the editors of the Owners Manual. If it's 20° BELOW ZERO your starting tire presure should be 30#'s AND if it's 120° ABOVE ZERO your starting tire pressure should be 30#'s. YOU have to adjust the pressure to the temperature, so far Chevy doesn't have an electronic nanny that will do it for you. When the outside temperature drops you need to add air pressure, when the outside temerature rises you have to bleed off air pressure.
It is actually not that poor a choice of words you are misinterpreting what "Cold" means. Cold tire pressure means when the tires are cold. Cold from not being driven, independant of outside air temperature. Tire pressure is a maintenance item. It is not a set it and forget it. Your tires will change approximately 1 psi for every 10 degree change in outside temperature. You should maintain 30 psi as a pressure in not road warm tires, i.e. "cold". When the air temp drops plan on having to add air to get back to 30 and when it warms up, plan on having to subtract air to get back down to 30.

Paul
Old 01-29-2007, 10:12 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
In fact, owner manuals generally further explain (I haven't rechecked the Corvette manual), that "cold" means at ambient temperature with less than 2 miles of driving on the tires.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Flecker
Instructor

Originally Posted by panama
When outside air temp is in 60's tire air should start cold at around 28-29 and will heat to 32 or 33 during "moderative" driving. At around 20 deg outside I have seen my average cold tire pressure go down to 27 but it go up to about 31 during moderate driving. I guess that I just can't resist taking my new C6 out even during the dry cold winter weather.
same Exaclty the same pressures on mine!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by achilds
I don't know what your tire pressures air look on the DIC. Then adjust them to what the manual says.
The first step is to determine the error, if any, in the DIC readings. My DIC readings are all low by 3 psi...that means if my tire pressures are perfect, the DIC is showing 27 psi.

Use a high quality pressure gage to set the tires at 30 psi with no driving time on them and compare to the DIC readings. If you used a high quality gage, then the difference between the DIC readings and 30 psi is built-in error...always remember to correct the DIC readings by the amount of the error.

If you're fifty miles down the road before you remember to check your pressures, it's too late...forget again until they cool overnight, then check them.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by talon90
It is actually not that poor a choice of words you are misinterpreting what "Cold" means. Cold tire pressure means when the tires are cold. Cold from not being driven, independant of outside air temperature. Tire pressure is a maintenance item. It is not a set it and forget it. Your tires will change approximately 1 psi for every 10 degree change in outside temperature. You should maintain 30 psi as a pressure in not road warm tires, i.e. "cold". When the air temp drops plan on having to add air to get back to 30 and when it warms up, plan on having to subtract air to get back down to 30.

Paul
I agree.

And this is why some cars can have seriously underinflated tires. Assume the first time you get in your car is at noon, and the outside temp is 60 degrees. Say, your tires are just a pound less than 30. And let's say by nine pm the outiside temp has dropped from 60 to 30 (not that unusual).

Your tire pressure could now be down to 26. Stress: Could be. And you decide to drive at highway speeds for the next couple hours, say, 75 mph. This is not a good combination: sustained highway speeds and low tire pressure.

And that is why at least one tire engineer has said, to paraphrase, I'd rather see a tire overinflated by 3 pounds than one that is underinflated by one pound.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:27 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
The first step is to determine the error, if any, in the DIC readings. My DIC readings are all low by 3 psi...that means if my tire pressures are perfect, the DIC is showing 27 psi.

Use a high quality pressure gage to set the tires at 30 psi with no driving time on them and compare to the DIC readings. If you used a high quality gage, then the difference between the DIC readings and 30 psi is built-in error...always remember to correct the DIC readings by the amount of the error.

If you're fifty miles down the road before you remember to check your pressures, it's too late...forget again until they cool overnight, then check them.

I checked my DIC against a calibrated gauge and the difference was zero. I suppose it was a bad assumption on my part that everyone had calibrated their DIC's.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:43 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Btw, don't rely on tire pressure readings from the DIC. Buy a good hand held gauge.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:51 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh

In fact, I don't even rely on the DIC. I check my pressure first thing in the A M with my pressure gauge, just as the sun rises. "It is coldest just before the dawn !"

Get notified of new replies

To 06 tire pressure???????

Old 01-30-2007, 12:38 AM
eurostyle
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

What would be a good pressure gauge? Digital, analog, brand????
Old 01-30-2007, 01:00 AM
CSei
Advanced

And don't forget to pump a little more air in there for performance/track use, as the manual says. If I remember correctly, it should be somewhere close to max.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:12 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by CSei
And don't forget to pump a little more air in there for performance/track use, as the manual says. If I remember correctly, it should be somewhere close to max.
A little difference between performance/track use and speeds in excesss of 175 mph. I add a few pounds to support the sidewall but never max.

From the manual:

If you will be driving your vehicle at speeds of 175 mph
(282 km/h) or higher, where it is legal, set the cold
inflation pressure to the maximum inflation pressure
shown on the tire sidewall, or 38 psi (265 kPa),
whichever is lower. See the example following.
When you end this high-speed driving, return the tires
to the cold inflation pressure shown on the Tire and
Loading Information label. See Loading Your Vehicle
on page 4-33.
Example:
You will find the maximum load and inflation pressure
molded on the tire’s sidewall, in small letters, near
the rim flange. It will read something like this: Maximum
load 690 kg (1521 lbs) 300 kPa (44 psi) Max. Press.
For this example, you would set the inflation pressure for
high-speed driving at 38 psi (265 kPa).
Racing or other competitive driving may affect the
warranty coverage of your vehicle. See your warranty
booklet for more information.
5-66

Quick Reply: 06 tire pressure???????