C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Question

Old 03-15-2007, 02:29 PM
jpbls
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Oil Question

I need to have my oil changed and every place I went to doesnt carry Mobil 1.Is there any reason not to use Pennzoil full syn oil?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The owner's manual says to look for 2 things:
1, The oil must meet GM Standard GM4718M.
2. The oil needs to be SAE 5W-30.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:40 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jpbls
I need to have my oil changed and every place I went to doesnt carry Mobil 1.Is there any reason not to use Pennzoil full syn oil?

odd, never seen an oil shop that didn't have mobil 1 in my neck of the woods
Old 03-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

According to their data product sheets, Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W30 meets GM 4718.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Lipps C5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:18 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Buy it at Wall Mart, and DIY. You will save money and it's the only way you know it's done right.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
According to their data product sheets, Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W30 meets GM 4718.

If Zy is right, and I have no reason to doubt him, then you can do this.

Or, you can buy 6 quarts at the cheapest Mobil 1 you can find it, carry it in with you and tell them to use it. They SHOULD discount the full oil change by the amount of oil price they'd normally charge. It is possible that, not including the oil you bought, you'll pay somewhere in the vicinity of 10-15 for their labor and a filter.

Or, if you really want to get serious, bring in your own filter, too. Just make sure to ck with them in advance, on the phone and clarify the costs by telling them what you're bringing, and what the cost will be to you.

Kinda strange since every shop or dealer that carrries Mobil 1 always charges a huge premium to use it. You must live in an area where the indy shops and dealerships don't care that much about huge profits.

BTW, wouldn't it be nice to fill out a city and state and at least a first name in your profile? Makes the internet just a tad less impersonal!!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Pennzoil Platinum is an excellent oil, in fact it's oil analysis results have been showing that it's better than Mobil 1. Ever since Mobil merged with Exxon, the quality of Mobil 1 has been steadily declining.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:04 PM
havesleep
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I go to a local oil change shop that I trust and supports our Corvette club, I bring my own Mobil1 and Filter. They just change oil and filter nothing else, $10.00.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by rothchilds
odd, never seen an oil shop that didn't have mobil 1 in my neck of the woods
Sometimes the oil shops work a deal with the oil companies.
The oil shop where I bring my daily driver only carries Quaker State.
I change the oil myself in the Vettes.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:22 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy

Just read the label on the bottle.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:11 PM
jpbls
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
If Zy is right, and I have no reason to doubt him, then you can do this.

Or, you can buy 6 quarts at the cheapest Mobil 1 you can find it, carry it in with you and tell them to use it. They SHOULD discount the full oil change by the amount of oil price they'd normally charge. It is possible that, not including the oil you bought, you'll pay somewhere in the vicinity of 10-15 for their labor and a filter.

Or, if you really want to get serious, bring in your own filter, too. Just make sure to ck with them in advance, on the phone and clarify the costs by telling them what you're bringing, and what the cost will be to you.

Kinda strange since every shop or dealer that carrries Mobil 1 always charges a huge premium to use it. You must live in an area where the indy shops and dealerships don't care that much about huge profits.

BTW, wouldn't it be nice to fill out a city and state and at least a first name in your profile? Makes the internet just a tad less impersonal!!
By bringing my own oil,5 bucks off.What a bargin!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:18 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

I have been changing oil for 40 years, So if Iscrew it up , it's my fault. I've gotten better over the years.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think a lot of these 'quick lube' places will not carry Mobil 1 (it's probably too expensive). If that's where you were trying to go, you could simply purchase the correct oil elsewhere and have them use it (buy your own filter as well....likely a PF46). You probably wouldn't save much by bringing your own oil/filter but at least you'd have the correct oil and filter in the car. If you go to a 'quick lube' place, make sure you have enough clearance to drive over the upright metal flange surrounding the pit.

I'd stick with Mobil 1.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:00 PM
srpbaer
Pro

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I think a lot of these 'quick lube' places will not carry Mobil 1 (it's probably too expensive). If that's where you were trying to go, you could simply purchase the correct oil elsewhere and have them use it (buy your own filter as well....likely a PF46). You probably wouldn't save much by bringing your own oil/filter but at least you'd have the correct oil and filter in the car. If you go to a 'quick lube' place, make sure you have enough clearance to drive over the upright metal flange surrounding the pit.

I'd stick with Mobil 1.

Careful there Sparky.....PF48 for the 07 LS2....PF46 for 05-06
Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 PM
PappyTinker
Melting Slicks

Location: Life ain't no dress rehearsal, are you gonna wait to get your toys til AFTER you have a heart attack?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stopped into one of these Quick Lube places before I got the 'Vette and asked how much for an oil change. They said, "$39.95." I asked, "how much if I bring my own oil and filter?" They said, "$39.95." Would anyone lke to guess where I didn't get my oil changed?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:49 PM
kgelliott
Drifting

Default $103.30

Scouted out the local lube shop to be sure I had no worries about lifting my car. Had a drive-over bay. They ordered the Delco filter. I was told when they did another Vette with a different filter the oil pressure was too low. Changed it, and it went up to where it should be. Anyway, I made sure we were using Mobil 1 synthetic, 5.5 qts and no ground clearance issues. All was good until it came to $103.30 ! Yeow. Forgot to get a price first as I was thinking of the other stuff too much. Oh well, it was my first time! At least I got a comfortable leather seat right beside my car as it was worked on and could count the qts. as we all chatted!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Question

Old 03-16-2007, 05:08 PM
ORANGEC6VERT
Racer

If you need to sit right there and count the quarts of oil...because you can't trust them...you need a new service center. Take it to the dealer! They don't have to ORDER the right filter and you can trust the technician working on your baby.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:28 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ORANGEC6VERT
If you need to sit right there and count the quarts of oil...because you can't trust them...you need a new service center. Take it to the dealer! They don't have to ORDER the right filter and you can trust the technician working on your baby.
Unfortunately you can't trust them 100% of the time.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:48 PM
kgelliott
Drifting

Default Totally Untrue

Originally Posted by ORANGEC6VERT

Totally untrue. I was taking what I have learned over the past several months of CF membership and reading and putting it to good use!! I have read way too many horror stories regarding oil changes and other C6 servicing by dealers and local lube shops in quite a few threads.
I think I can safely say there are quite a few more of us who would rather watch and be happy than NOT watch and be surprised.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Question