C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New "Lear" Garage Door Opener Vs. Home Link......

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
omrossi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New "Lear" Garage Door Opener Vs. Home Link......

As many of you know, this new garage door opener that GM is using is horrible. It requires the programming of the code from your garage door remote.....or you have to climb up and do something on your motorized door opener unit. Certainly more of a pain than the former OEM Home Link product.

I called my service technician to see if they could find any of the old "Home Link" visors.....and he said there's a "compatability issue." Would this be with the car's computer? Seems like the visor only needs power, and the remote unit should operate on a standalone basis.

Gene at GM Parts House has one....but he's not sure if it's the new one or the old one:

||--Genuine GM C6 Home Link Sunshade--||

25811355 - 05-07 LH Sunshade W/Home Link - 242.68

Any one heard of a compatability issue that would prevent me from swapping out the old visor and replacing it with a Home Link? Anyone have a source for the original Home Link visors?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Jahan
Pro

My G35C had the same style. While it was a relative pain to program, it really only takes a couple minutes, and you only have to do it once. I wouldn't think it would be worth swapping out the visor for. Just program it and be done with it.

BUT, an extension of your question would be whether or not you could get homelink functionality on a non-3lt car by just swapping the visor. Does the wiring already exist behind the A pillar already? I'm getting a 2LT, but would love to not have to carry around a clunky door opener everywhere I go.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:02 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I had a lot of trouble programing my opener ('07) for the first garage until I read the directions. (Hey, Dolt! Don't hold the opener receiver button. Hold the visor button!!!) Once I followed the directions it was a snap and took less than a minute. The second one I programmed was after an 800 mile drive. I stopped short of the door, went inside and opened the door and pulled a step ladder off the wall and under the opener. Out to the car and push the buttons, in and up a couple of steps and push the button, back out to the car and push the desired button for a few seconds until the door moves. Back in the garage, put the ladder away, pull the car in. Total time less than 2 minutes. Certainly not worth $250 + labor to make it somehow easier.

I do have a problem with the range (not more than 20 feet compared to over 150 feet for the original transmitter that came with the opener) but programming certainly isn't a major issue.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Toonz
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'12

I'm not sure about the compatibility issue but I searched for an actual Homelink visor for quite sometime and only found one. GM stopped making them a while back so they're getting harder to locate.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the helms manual for the '05 which shows the schematic. I also installed a home link visor as my car did not come with one. The home link unit uses the vanity light wire circuit for power. No compatibility issue as it is a stand alone unit. Plug and play so to speak.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:25 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I had homelink in my 03 Avalanche and the Lear in my 07 Vet. On both, you have to press the learn button on the garage door opener if you use a rolling code opener.

Basically, they program exactly the same way, so switching visors isn't going to do any good.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
don7790
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

What do you do if you have a broken remote or don't have one.Lost the remote years ago and been using a pushbutton switch to open the garage. Can I program the one in the new vette to open the door.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:40 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I solved that problem. There is no compatibility issues. I have both the lear system and the homelink system in my visor on my Z06.

I could never get the lear system to operate our neighborhood gate system. I was able to source a home link transmitter so I removed the vanity mirror. Inserted the homelink transmitter underneath the mirror after removing some of the fibre board underneath the mirror. I then spliced it into the mirror power and re-installed the mirror.

I was able to train the homelink to open my gates for the neighborhood and I use my lear to open my 3 garage doors. I will be adding an interface for the home link to turn on lights in the house soon. I probably have the only visor with 6 buttons.

My wife's coupe will be getting a homelink added to her lear next.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:48 PM
bugn
Racer

Originally Posted by don7790
What do you do if you have a broken remote or don't have one.Lost the remote years ago and been using a pushbutton switch to open the garage. Can I program the one in the new vette to open the door.
You can get universal remotes, that clips to visor at HD or Lowes. I use one for my Honda.

Last edited by bugn; 05-10-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:00 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by don7790
I think it depends on the opener but, in general, yes. I never touched an existing remote to program two different openers. Worst that happens is you have to spend $40 on a new receiver that wires in parallel with the switch. The problem seems to be with older receivers. A new receiver will be very easy to program.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:18 PM
bh747
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06, '07, '13, '15

Mine was very easy to program for both the house and the security gate. I was amazed it was so easy.

07 Coupe
Old 05-31-2007, 11:54 AM
car2Usupport
Intermediate

Default Lear vs Homelink

Thank you for your interest in the Universal Home Remote product. Additional help is available to assist you with any programming issues or questions.

If your product has 3 LED lights, please refer to www.learCar2U.com or call 1-866-57Car2U for additional support.

Sincerely,

The Lear Car2U Team
Old 06-15-2007, 03:58 PM
z06byproxy
2nd Gear

Default Original HomeLink

If you find that the LEAR doesn't work like the Original HomeLink (and it doesn't) you can find the original thing at mitocorp.com either in mirror like on other GM vehicles or in the visor
Old 06-15-2007, 04:12 PM
CChung
Advanced

I programmed my '07 door opener in a few minutes and it took right away. I was expecting some problems but if you follow the owner's manual it worked just fine.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I just picked up my new 07' this week and wasn't familier with Homelink or even what is was, i read the manual and in a mere minutes i had the visor button programmed to work my door, yes i used a small ladder to reach the opener and press the 'learn' button that was about as difficult it was, saved me $80 for a third remote(i have 3 vehicles), so im thrilled and it worked the first time programming
Old 06-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by omrossi
As many of you know, this new garage door opener that GM is using is horrible. It requires the programming of the code from your garage door remote.....or you have to climb up and do something on your motorized door opener unit. Certainly more of a pain than the former OEM Home Link product. ...
I don't get it. The Homelink requires using the remote and climbing up and doing something on your motorized door opener unit (if it is a rolling code unit - as most built in the last 20+ years are). Here are the instructions from a 2006 C6 which has the "old" Homelink:

Programming Universal Home Remote
Follow these steps to program up to three channels:
1. Press and hold down the two outside Universal
Home Remote buttons, releasing only when the
Universal Home Remote indicator light begins
to flash, after 20 seconds. Do not hold down the
buttons for longer than 30 seconds and do not
repeat this step to program a second and/or
third hand-held transmitter to the remaining
two Universal Home Remote buttons.
2. Position the end of your hand-held transmitter
about 1 to 3 inches (3 to 8 cm) away from the
Universal Home Remote buttons while keeping
the indicator light in view.
3. Simultaneously press and hold both the desired
Universal Home Remote button and the hand-held
transmitter button.
Do not release the buttons
until Step 4 has been completed.
Some entry gates and garage door openers
may require you to substitute Step 3 with the
procedure noted in “Gate Operator and Canadian
Programming” later in this section.
4. The indicator light will flash slowly at first and then
rapidly after Universal Home Remote successfully
receives the frequency signal from the hand-held
transmitter. Release both buttons.
5. Press and hold the newly-trained Universal Home
Remote button and observe the indicator light.
If the indicator light stays on constantly, programming
is complete and your device should activate when
the Universal Home Remote button is pressed and
released.
To program the remaining two Universal Home
Remote buttons, begin with Step 2 under
“Programming Universal Home Remote.” Do not
repeat Step 1 as this will erase all of the programmed
channels.
If the indicator light blinks rapidly for two seconds
and then turns to a constant light, continue with
Steps 6 through 8 following to complete the
programming of a rolling-code equipped device,
most commonly, a garage door opener.
6. Locate in the garage, the garage door opener
receiver (motor-head unit). Locate the “Learn”
or “Smart” button. This can usually be found
where the hanging antenna wire is attached
to the motor-head unit.
7. Firmly press and release the “Learn” or “Smart”
button. The name and color of the button may
vary by manufacturer.
You will have 30 seconds to start Step 8.
8. Return to the vehicle. Firmly press and hold the
programmed Universal Home Remote button for
two seconds, then release. Repeat the press/hold/
release sequence a second time, and depending on
the brand of the garage door opener, or other rolling
code device, repeat this sequence a third time to
complete the programming.
The Universal Home Remote should now activate
your rolling-code equipped device.
So, how is this better than the new Lear?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:34 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by TulsaVette
I had homelink in my 03 Avalanche and the Lear in my 07 Vet. On both, you have to press the learn button on the garage door opener if you use a rolling code opener.

Basically, they program exactly the same way, so switching visors isn't going to do any good.
eddie

Get notified of new replies

To New "Lear" Garage Door Opener Vs. Home Link......

Old 06-15-2007, 05:53 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just went through this myself this morning on an '07.

At least for my opener it was very simple:

Press the 2 outside buttons on the visor.
Press the 'learn' button on the opener.
At the visor press the button you want to assign to this opener.
Press the same button again.

Done.

A lot better than fumbling with yet another remote.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:55 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 99
I just picked up my new 07' this week and wasn't familier with Homelink or even what is was, i read the manual and in a mere minutes i had the visor button programmed to work my door, yes i used a small ladder to reach the opener and press the 'learn' button that was about as difficult it was, saved me $80 for a third remote(i have 3 vehicles), so im thrilled and it worked the first time programming
The issue isn't with garage door openers, especially if they are relatively new. The issue is with security gates and other 'doors' that don't use a rolling code. Trying to program for a security gate can be a pain if people keep driving through it while you're doing so (it requires you to release a button within 1 second of the gate starting to move, and people entering cause the gate to move at the wrong time).

Old 06-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mforman42
The issue isn't with garage door openers, especially if they are relatively new. The issue is with security gates and other 'doors' that don't use a rolling code. Trying to program for a security gate can be a pain if people keep driving through it while you're doing so (it requires you to release a button within 1 second of the gate starting to move, and people entering cause the gate to move at the wrong time).

Oh ok i see, for my situation it worked perfectly, i hope you get your's to work, try 3AM you should be the only one out there then

Quick Reply: New "Lear" Garage Door Opener Vs. Home Link......