C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a 4-door Corvette???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How about a 4-door Corvette???

Straight from the pages of Automotive News Magazine:

======================================== =

Why not build a 4-door Corvette?
It can be done; just ask Porsche and Aston Martin

If the world were a little different, there might be a Corvette four-door sedan.

Maybe even a Vette crossover!

I can almost hear Corvette purists muttering that those are two of the most ridiculous ideas they have ever heard.

"It would severely hurt the car's reputation if the Vette were stretched," they are probably whining. "Two extra doors, four seats, let alone talk about a dirt-grinding crossover! What's wrong with you?"

The thought of a four-door Corvette sedan occurred to me in the past several months as a tidal wave of Porsche Panamera spy shots and computer-enhanced images hit my e-mail directory. The Panamera is Porsche's sleek four-seat sedan that debuts in 2009. It will have a front-mounted engine and a coupe-styled body with four real doors.

The bottom line: a true four-seat, four-door Porsche sports sedan that likely handles as well as the cars that made Porsche an iconic brand. Porsche's strategy makes a lot of sense, as would a four-door, four-seat Vette sedan.

Porsche was criticized -- mostly by Porsche enthusiasts -- when word of the automaker's interest in an SUV surfaced in the mid-1990s. Of course, a new group of buyers embraced the brand once the Cayenne SUV hit the road. And a new group of buyers who found the previous Porsche coupes too small for their lifestyle or family needs now will have a realistic option, the Panamera.

I believe the same would be true for a four-door Vette sedan if it were developed.

Lutz is interested

Porsche isn't alone out there. Let's not forget about one of the stars of the 2006 Detroit auto show. The international and national press tossed truckloads of accolades at the four-door Aston Martin Rapide sedan, basically a stretched DB9. That beautiful car arrives next year.

Also, the four-door Maserati Quattroporte sedan is one hot ride that's available today.

In case you've forgotten, each of those brands started with a reputation for stylish two-seaters but had the courage to expand as the world changed.

I'm not the only one who believes expanding the Corvette line makes a lot of sense. General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz told me that he has had the same notion.

Today, Lutz said, "Porsche is more than a car; it's a brand with coupes, convertibles, crossovers and, in the near future, a four-door sedan.

"You could do the same thing with Corvette."

But Lutz quickly extinguished the notion of separating Corvette from Chevrolet, saying GM has enough brands. To turn the Corvette into a separate brand today would be ridiculous, he said.

OK, Bob, so there's no need for a separate Corvette brand.

And the world has changed. Gasoline prices have soared, so there's little or no market for a Vette crossover.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h the Vette

Also, GM is wrestling with an expected rise in corporate average fuel economy standards, a likely reduction in CO2 emissions and the task of successfully completing its financial turnaround plan. Money is tight, and so are engineering resources.

Lutz didn't say whether a Vette sedan is being considered seriously.

But since the Panamera sedan is bound to be a home run -- ditto for the four-door Rapide -- there must be a market for a Corvette sedan.

We're not talking about creating a car from scratch. If Aston Martin can stretch the DB9, I know that Ed Welburn, Tom Wallace and their teams could do wonders if they were given the nod. Welburn is GM's chief styling guru. Wallace is the vehicle line executive for the Corvette and the Cadillac XLR.

Memo to Bob, Ed and Tom: Build it!

That triggers another idea. Once you stretch that vehicle architecture, there's an opportunity to use it to create a six-figure, extremely elegant yet sporty, beautifully detailed four-door Cadillac sedan. While we're dreaming, let's toss a supercharger on top of the engine.

That would give Cadillac something the brand desperately needs -- a flagship sedan.

But don't get me going on that subject.

With computer software technology, we created this exaggerated image of a four-door Corvette. In addition to adding the rear passenger compartment, we extended the trunk area and altered the styling of the rear window. The notion of expanding the Corvette line has occurred to General Motors' Bob Lutz, too.
Photo credit: PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY TERRY MICALLEF

======================================== ====

I can't be the only one who thinks this is a bad idea...
Old 05-14-2007, 11:21 AM
John's '07
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: I don't deserve this car, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that either. Bay Point, FL
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

It's been done before
Old 05-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Not good.

Just add the little bitty doors and a child seat area, like in the Mazda RX8, if you want 4 doors.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:41 AM
falco84
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If someone was paid to write this article, they should be fired for wasting everyone's time.

A 911ish sedan, like the Mercedes R-Class, will be a car I point at and laugh as it drives by.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:45 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

What you are forgetting here is that Porsche and Aston Martin are brands of cars. As much as we'd like to think, Corvette is not a brand in and of inself. It's a car manufactured by General Motors. While GM can create 4 door cars/crossovers that are relatively quick, they will have no affiliation with the Corvette name.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:48 AM
toolking
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not only no but Hell no!!!!

GM hasn't demonstrated the ability to build a decent sedan in any division. So now they should screw up the Vette. Remember the T-Bird? Lets don't relearn that lesson.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:56 AM
btc624
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how does stuff like this even get printed? a total waste of time
Old 05-14-2007, 12:00 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About the only thing fuglier than a 4 door Vette is the Vette limo.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

how could anyone possibly think thats cool or something to aspire to?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:22 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Oh good god. Just shoot me now.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:27 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Automotive News Magazine must have needed to fill up some blank space for them to publish this article.

Every so often someone writes this exact same thing, and it sounds just as stupid today as it has the last 50 years when people suggested a 4 door Corvette.

This is pure fantasy, and total BS.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by djfullshred
Automotive News Magazine must have needed to fill up some blank space for them to publish this article.

Every so often someone writes this exact same thing, and it sounds just as stupid today as it has the last 50 years when people suggested a 4 door Corvette.

This is pure fantasy, and total BS.
Absolutely.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:37 PM
tbob
Racer

If that guy wants a GM product with backseats and near Vette performance tell to put a deposit down on the new Camaro.

In the meantime lay off the pizza right before bedtime, and he wont have anymore of these nightmares to share with us.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

If they did it wouldn't look anything like that photo chop. Take gander at the Porsche and Astonmartin designs.

The ultimate question is: Will Corvette become a brand name, and not just a car?

Last edited by LTC Z06; 05-14-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:50 PM
mkaresh
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clearly journalists should not be allowed to design cars.

The concept is a good one, but a different name is probably in order.

How about Corvair? (j/k)
Old 05-14-2007, 12:54 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even Ford was smart enough to stop talking about a 4-door Mustang.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:05 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by toolking
Not only no but Hell no!!!!

GM hasn't demonstrated the ability to build a decent sedan in any division. So now they should screw up the Vette. Remember the T-Bird? Lets don't relearn that lesson.
... I'd REALLY hate to see GM ruin the vettes high performance SPORTS car image! The General has enough problems without producing some laughing stock POS monstrosity like a 4 door vette. Ya need something with 4 doors go buy a sedan or an SUV. Don’t think it will happen anyway! Thanks but NO thanks…

Get notified of new replies

To How about a 4-door Corvette???

Old 05-14-2007, 04:10 PM
vettetech2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by talon90
Oh good god. Just shoot me now.
Yes shoot me also,and make sure Im not breathing.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:02 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The local newspaper paper is laying off 135 people and their stock is in the toilet, newspapers are dead, as is all of traditional print news, the reason? They stopped being disseminators of news decades ago; this article is entertainment, and damn poor entertainment at that. For some reason they think they need to entertain us, while true we do NEED entertainment, when I want to be entertained, it isn't going to be a newspaper, magazine, or TV news that I look for to entertain me.

forget your core business, and you can forget a future,
simple business 101
Old 05-14-2007, 05:07 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by cadguymark
The local newspaper paper is laying off 135 people and their stock is in the toilet, newspapers are dead, as is all of traditional print news, the reason? They stopped being disseminators of news decades ago; this article is entertainment, and damn poor entertainment at that. For some reason they think they need to entertain us, while true we do NEED entertainment, when I want to be entertained, it isn't going to be a newspaper, magazine, or TV news that I look for to entertain me.

forget your core business, and you can forget a future,
simple business 101
Well said, lWe should not take a great model of a brand and screw it up

Quick Reply: How about a 4-door Corvette???