C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend does it one more time.........

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:54 PM
twfreightman
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Motor Trend does it one more time.........

Somebody probably already posted on this, but I missed it. I hate this magazine. I just bought a copy to read about the new Shelby GT500KR. Then, I noticed an article about a test for the best handling car. The contestants were......BMW 335i, Vette Z06, Honda Civic si, Honda S2000, Lotus Exige S, Mazdaspeed3 GT, Mini Cooper JC Works GP, Mitsubishi Lancer EvolutionIX MR, Porsche 911 GT3, and Porsche Cayman S. Guess what? Surprise of all Surprises! The Z06 came in 9th, only beating the Honda Civic. The 911GT3 is an awesome car, but as far the rest of them go..... give me a break. Said the Z06 surplus power and lack of rear end grip was more than the driver's nerves could handle. Motor Trend or Motor Whimp? Gentlemen, start your Mini Coopers!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:59 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Motor Trend dissing a Corvette? Nah, you are kidding right
Old 05-26-2007, 04:02 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a subjective handling test and the cars that put up the best numbers wouldn't necessarily win such a comparison.

I'm willing to bet that a Porsche Cayman S or a Lotus will have better handling feel than a Z06 anyways...
Old 05-26-2007, 04:03 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MT is a blatant advertising dollar *****-rag...I have known it for more than 40 years. They thought that Volkswagen Thing version of a Wehrmacht staff car was an outstanding vehicle...even at my tender age I knew they had taken Volkswagen's advertising money and said "what's your pleasure".
Old 05-26-2007, 04:07 PM
OneBadZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I share your feelings for M/T and I agree with you that the only other car in that line-up which is even in the same class as the Z06 is the GT3.

However, that statement you quoted from the article is not misleading or false. The sum of 505 HP and those marginal runflat tires makes for a "questionable" combo, IMO.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:14 PM
jklarkpimp
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea yea, those little cars do handle like go carts, ive drove that s2000 but i think the vette can hang with any of them

IM JUST GLAD THEY DIDNT POST THE "GOLD CHAIN COMMENT" AGAIN
IM TIRED OF HEARING THAT CRAP
Old 05-26-2007, 04:24 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a former owner of two Civics in this lifetime, I can't believe they'd even consider putting a Civic Si in the same test as a Corvette.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:59 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

The test is only for HANDLING correct...?

If so, then what are you all complaining about?!

It is quite obvious that the Z06 is not the best handling car in the world...
Old 05-26-2007, 05:33 PM
twfreightman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbo_tom
The test is only for HANDLING correct...?

If so, then what are you all complaining about?!

It is quite obvious that the Z06 is not the best handling car in the world...
Did not see where anybody said that it was. But I sure think we can beat somebody besides the Civic!
Old 05-26-2007, 05:43 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by twfreightman
Did not see where anybody said that it was...
You said it was... VVV

...I noticed an article about a test for the best handling car. The contestants were......BMW 335i, Vette Z06, Honda Civic si, Honda S2000, Lotus Exige S, Mazdaspeed3 GT, Mini Cooper JC Works GP, Mitsubishi Lancer EvolutionIX MR, Porsche 911 GT3, and Porsche Cayman S...
Nothing to be ashamed of being outhandled by an Exige or a Cayman, that is what they are built for...
Old 05-26-2007, 05:46 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My '00 S2000 which I traded for an '05 C6 Vert in '05, certainly had a much better handling and shifting feel than the C6. It did not have anywhere close to the power or torque, however.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:47 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by S2K
My \'00 S2000 which I traded for an \'05 C6 Vert in \'05, certainly had a much better handling and shifting feel than the C6. It did not have anywhere close to the power or torque, however.
Same exact thing with my Mazdaspeed6...
Old 05-26-2007, 05:51 PM
twfreightman
Burning Brakes

You said it was... VVV

Nothing to be ashamed of being outhandled by an Exige or a Cayman, that is what they are built for...
I said no such thing. Read the OP. What does VVV mean?
Old 05-26-2007, 05:59 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

I said no such thing. Read the OP. What does VVV mean?
Dude, are you serious?! I quoted the OP... the one that you posted. Here it is again.... (VVV = look below)

Somebody probably already posted on this, but I missed it. I hate this magazine. I just bought a copy to read about the new Shelby GT500KR. Then, I noticed an article about a test for the best handling car. The contestants were......BMW 335i, Vette Z06, Honda Civic si, Honda S2000, Lotus Exige S, Mazdaspeed3 GT, Mini Cooper JC Works GP, Mitsubishi Lancer EvolutionIX MR, Porsche 911 GT3, and Porsche Cayman S. Guess what? Surprise of all Surprises! The Z06 came in 9th, only beating the Honda Civic. The 911GT3 is an awesome car, but as far the rest of them go..... give me a break. Said the Z06 surplus power and lack of rear end grip was more than the driver\'s nerves could handle. Motor Trend or Motor Whimp? Gentlemen, start your Mini Coopers!
Old 05-26-2007, 06:16 PM
twfreightman
Burning Brakes

Dude, are you serious?! I quoted the OP... the one that you posted. Here it is again.... (VVV = look below)
Well, I think you misunderstood. I said I noticed an article about a test for the best handling car. I said the 911 was awesome. I said the Z06 only beat the Civic. I am still looking for the part where you said I said the Z06 was the best handling car in the world. It ain't there pal because I did not say it. Nobody said it. You were the first to say the Z06 was NOT the best. I said nobody said it was. I was saying I thought it should be better than 2nd from last only beating the Civic. This is making me tired. I quit. You win if it makes you feel better. Bye.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

My last car(Honda S2000) was know for its handling abilities... Very soft compound sticky(summer) tires... But on a cold/wet surface the car was scary... light rear end no traction control... Switched to a harder all season high performance tire to make it a little more manageable. I'll take the safety of the Corvette over that thing any day! Just saw on the news that the government is mandating the all cars sold in the U.S. have some sort of traction control by the year 2012! No I guess its considered a safety feature like seat belts and anti lock brakes! The Corvette as always is years ahead(technology wise) of it's competition! It may not be the fastest on the track, but it is among the safest...

Last edited by Tom_Slick; 05-26-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:21 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Well, I think you misunderstood. I said I noticed an article about a test for the best handling car. I said the 911 was awesome. I said the Z06 only beat the Civic. I am still looking for the part where you said I said the Z06 was the best handling car in the world. It ain't there pal because I did not say it. Nobody said it. You were the first to say the Z06 was NOT the best. I said nobody said it was. I was saying I thought it should be better than 2nd from last only beating the Civic. This is making me tired. I quit. You win if it makes you feel better. Bye.
he just misunderstood you.....the article was about "the best handling car"....

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend does it one more time.........

Old 05-26-2007, 06:21 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

Well, I think you misunderstood. I said I noticed an article about a test for the best handling car. I said the 911 was awesome. I said the Z06 only beat the Civic. I am still looking for the part where you said I said the Z06 was the best handling car in the world. It ain\'t there pal because I did not say it. Nobody said it. You were the first to say the Z06 was NOT the best. I said nobody said it was. I was saying I thought it should be better than 2nd from last only beating the Civic. This is making me tired. I quit. You win if it makes you feel better. Bye.
THE ONLY QUESTION I ASKED WAS IF THE TEST WAS BASED ON HANDLING ONLY.

I WAS NOT DIRECTING THE COMMENT REGARDING THE Z06 AT YOU, BUT AT PEOPLE WHO ARGUE THE TESTS RESULTS IN GENERAL.

SORRY IF THERE WAS A MIX UP.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:24 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

IMO the test was pretty accurate as it was strictly HANDLING ONLY....
Old 05-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Ease up gents... we are driving Vettes - we don't need to prove anything to anyone! The best bang for the buck in this small world. There are better vehicles but not that I want to pay for...

Quick Reply: Motor Trend does it one more time.........