C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch fluid change - one year and 10K miles (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:28 AM
2LT-Z51
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Clutch fluid change - one year and 10K miles (pics)

first of all thank you to all who have posted information regarding the clutch fluid change.... good info out there
last week it felt weird a few times so i decide to open the hood this weekend and check it out..... i am glad i did!!!!

notes listed at the top of the pictures.......

bag of rags, big eye dropper, ready to go.... notice how dark the fluid is......

what a mess.... wiped all that junk off with a clean rag.....

dirty oil....

the cleaning begins.... (make sure your cap looks like this when you put it back)

putting in the new oil... (i ended up using almost the whole bottle before it got clean - see note below)

now this is what it is supposed to look like....

notes:
1)fill with new fluid
2)put cover on
3)pump pedal 10-20 times (have no idea the correct amount - this is just what i did)
4)remove oil - put oil in bag if rags
5)go to step #1 - repeat until fluid is clean
Old 06-04-2007, 03:33 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Let us know how long it stays that clean.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:46 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll give it a week before it starts looking 'dirty' again....
M
Old 06-04-2007, 06:21 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it's kinda low in the first pic. was that the pre-work level? at that level i could understand it acting kinda weird.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:00 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

It takes about 4 cans to get it clean. I've done mine and it has stayed clear for the past 7 weeks. From time to I will flush it again, if and when necessary.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good write up and pics!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:08 AM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

I did mine as well, only took one can to get it to look clear. BIG difference! The car drives much better and shifts much eaisier. I did this about 300 miles ago and just looked at the fluid again. Yep, it's looks brown again, but not as bad, and still looks clean, just not clear. But before it looked rusty, now just a little brown.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:12 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good job and write up. I've been through several can's in two years and it just keep turning black.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:17 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,577 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Cool. After reading Ranger's clutch write-up, I began changing mine. I finally came to the conclusion that I could do virtually the same thing by removing the reservoir fluid and replacing it every time I cleaned under the hood. Takes about 2 minutes and the fluid stays pretty clear. I no longer go through the drill with the pump and replace several times - but then it never gets gunky either.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:01 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Good write up, Thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks! Nice pics and write up! Thanks to Ranger too!

Pumping the clutch pedal 10 or more times between flushes is of course key to distributing the fluid around and getting more "old" fluid into the reservior to be removed.

The more you pump, the more old fluid you will remove... but it's impractical to sit there and pump the pedal more than 10 times between refills.

What I like to do... flush the reservior say 5 times or so in one sitting, pumping the pedal 10 times between each refill. Then wait a week or so after the car has been driven several hundred miles (which would mean several hundred clutch pedal pumps), then repeat the above, flushing another 5 times. Then put your clutch flush tools away for the season.

Not sure how many pumps it truly takes to get new fluid to migrate down into the slave (and old fluid to migrate from the slave up into the reservior)... but the more pumps the better. And you don't want to just sit there in your garage with the engine off pumping the heck out of your clutch... just wearing the slave for nothing really... may as well DRIVE the car.

I suppose in a perfect world you'd flush regularly every two weeks but it can be a bit impractical to do so. (If I wanted to spend most of my time tinkering I would have kept my old early `70's 455 Trans-Am .)

I plan to perform the above clutch flush maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I think for the average road driver (no heavy drag racing), this is probably enough to keep the clutch hydraulics reasonably healthy.

If the fluid gets a bit "dark" in appearance again after a few weeks, I wouldn't worry... it's always going to get dark after a while, normal really. As long as you know you added some fresh fluid and removed some old fluid / moisture, it should be about as good as you can get it within practical limits... which means you're ahead of the game.

I still think it's absurd that the clutch bleeder screw is essentially not accessible... if the C6 has any major "stupid" design flaw, THAT is it!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
Thanks! Nice pics and write up! Thanks to Ranger too!

Pumping the clutch pedal 10 or more times between flushes is of course key to distributing the fluid around and getting more "old" fluid into the reservior to be removed.

The more you pump, the more old fluid you will remove... but it's impractical to sit there and pump the pedal more than 10 times between refills.

What I like to do... flush the reservior say 5 times or so in one sitting, pumping the pedal 10 times between each refill. Then wait a week or so after the car has been driven several hundred miles (which would mean several hundred clutch pedal pumps), then repeat the above, flushing another 5 times. Then put your clutch flush tools away for the season.

Not sure how many pumps it truly takes to get new fluid to migrate down into the slave (and old fluid to migrate from the slave up into the reservior)... but the more pumps the better. And you don't want to just sit there in your garage with the engine off pumping the heck out of your clutch... just wearing the slave for nothing really... may as well DRIVE the car.

I suppose in a perfect world you'd flush regularly every two weeks but it can be a bit impractical to do so. (If I wanted to spend most of my time tinkering I would have kept my old early `70's 455 Trans-Am .)

I plan to perform the above clutch flush maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I think for the average road driver (no heavy drag racing), this is probably enough to keep the clutch hydraulics reasonably healthy.

If the fluid gets a bit "dark" in appearance again after a few weeks, I wouldn't worry... it's always going to get dark after a while, normal really. As long as you know you added some fresh fluid and removed some old fluid / moisture, it should be about as good as you can get it within practical limits... which means you're ahead of the game.

I still think it's absurd that the clutch bleeder screw is essentially not accessible... if the C6 has any major "stupid" design flaw, THAT is it!
I thought they should have fixed that after the C5!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig
it's kinda low in the first pic. was that the pre-work level? at that level i could understand it acting kinda weird.
Also in the last picture you can't even see the fluid level...it looks empty or over-filled.

I'm also surprised with the amount of gunk on the inside of the cap. Mine was not even close to being that dirty even after 2.5 years. I'm now flushing the clutch fluid somewhat regularly but the fluid appears dirty even after a week or less of driving.

Nice post and nice images. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
2LT-Z51
Drifting

it was about 1/2 - 3/4 way or so... the dirty cap picture was exactly how it was in the bowl....

Originally Posted by Zig
Old 06-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by c6vette
It takes about 4 cans to get it clean. I've done mine and it has stayed clear for the past 7 weeks. From time to I will flush it again, if and when necessary.
It took me two cans of Prestone Dot4 to finally get the fluid to stay clear.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:37 PM
2LT-Z51
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Also in the last picture you can't even see the fluid level...it looks empty or over-filled. the picture with the funnel is at MAX - I'm sure that it will change color next weekend....

I'm also surprised with the amount of gunk on the inside of the cap. Mine was not even close to being that dirty even after 2.5 years. I'm now flushing the clutch fluid somewhat regularly but the fluid appears dirty even after a week or less of driving. it is probably all the humidity here... usually up over 60% and a 80% day is very common all year long - winters here stay up close and over 90%

Nice post and nice images. Thanks for sharing your experience. Thanks...
Old 06-04-2007, 12:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

good write up! thx!

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch fluid change - one year and 10K miles (pics)

Old 06-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

2LT-Z51, Great pics. Nice addition to the knowledge base.

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
Good approach. Takes persistence to get the fluid back to clear (zero cloudiness) and to near nominal boiling point. But once it's there, keeping it there is pretty simple.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 06-04-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
What size cans.... in ounces? Thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
What size cans.... in ounces? Thanks.
Prestone DOT4 comes in 12 ounce cans.

The C6 spec fluid GM-Brand Super DOT4 comes in 8 ounce cans.

Size varies by brand.

Ranger

Quick Reply: Clutch fluid change - one year and 10K miles (pics)