C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 05:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

$9 DIY Aux input for Ipod for C6's with XM

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Gearhead65
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $9 DIY Aux input for Ipod for C6's with XM

Here's a DIY for adding an Auxillary input to a C6 with XM. First, thanks to Ray for his information in this post and help in figuring out the wiring on the XM!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=c6+aux+input

First, go buy one of these at your local Radio Shack.
Name:  RadioShackcord.jpg
Views: 7949
Size:  13.6 KB

Then, pull your XM module out of the back. You'll need to cut back some of the black wire wrap around the harness coming to the unit.
Name:  XMExposed.jpg
Views: 8705
Size:  55.2 KB

I also found someone on another Corvette forum that posted a diagram from an 2005 C6 Digital Receiver. It appears to be the same for my 07.
Name:  DigitalRadioReceiverWiringDia.jpg
Views: 9266
Size:  43.5 KB

Cut off the female end of the radio shack extension cord (I cut around 10 feet off) and strip back the wiring. Connections should be made as follows:
Red - Green/White (Right Audio)
White - Brown/White (Left Audio)
Bare - Tan/White (Common)
I first tried to connect these without disconnecting the three (3) wires from the XM harness. I could only get a humm and no audio. So, since I don't subscribe to XM, I cut these wire a couple inches from the harness and hooked them directly to the extension cord. (Don't forget to insulate the bare leads with tape or or a blind crimp connector.) This worked perfectly. Just switch to the XM band and turn on your iPod (or whatever device you have it plugged into)
Name:  XMAudioCommon.jpg
Views: 8473
Size:  17.7 KB
Name:  XMAudioLeftRight.jpg
Views: 7776
Size:  20.2 KB

It was a 5 minute job to run the extension cord under the carpeting and up under the side of the console to the cup holder area.
Name:  CompletedAuxInput.jpg
Views: 9395
Size:  41.5 KB

If you do subscribe to XM, you will need to install and 3PDT switch to switch between XM and Aux input. So far, I don't see away around this if you use the XM, but other may have suggestions. I'm not an XM fan, thus not concerned about it.

Thanks again Ray (Kawal) for the inspiration and help.

Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
Davtc (04-14-2023)
Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 PM
JBVette
Instructor

Thanks for the post. What's your feedback on the sound quality?
cobraspence (04-17-2017)
Old 07-03-2007, 11:53 PM
dknight129
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

I bought a scosche ipod interphase system from CarToys, plan to install it in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes. does the radio have any rca jacks on the back?
seadog2u (08-07-2018)
Old 07-04-2007, 01:07 AM
autophile
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic post! Since I'm not an XM user, this shouldn't interefere with anything correct? Even better! Thanks for the info!
Old 07-04-2007, 01:41 AM
tiggerrick
Racer

Originally Posted by Gearhead65
If you do subscribe to XM, you will need to install and 3PDT switch to switch between XM and Aux input.
Enjoy!
What's a 3PDT switch, and how would you install it?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:50 AM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very
Old 07-04-2007, 01:57 AM
bocabob
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

i'll just go to cartoys here and have them do it.. ouch
Old 07-04-2007, 03:18 AM
Atomic-Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tiggerrick
What's a 3PDT switch, and how would you install it?
3PDT = "Triple Pole, Double Throw". it's basically like having 3 toggle switches that are controlled by one "toggle" so you would hook up the L, R, and Common from the XM unit to the center pole, the L, R, and Common from the Harness to one of the outside poles, and the L, R, and Common for the i-Pod to the other outside pole. This way when you flip the toggle to one position it enables i-pod and disables xm, then you flip it the other way and vise-versa.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:25 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Atomic-Vette
3PDT = "Triple Pole, Double Throw". it's basically like having 3 toggle switches that are controlled by one "toggle" so you would hook up the L, R, and Common from the XM unit to the center pole, the L, R, and Common from the Harness to one of the outside poles, and the L, R, and Common for the i-Pod to the other outside pole. This way when you flip the toggle to one position it enables i-pod and disables xm, then you flip it the other way and vise-versa.
I think your close but not quite.

On the 3pdt switch ususally the center pins are the common out of the switch. And that would go to the wires leading to the head unit. Then the pins from one side of the switch to the XM unit and the pins from the other side to the IPOD jack. That way when you flip the switch it changes from the xm signal going to the center common out, to the IPOD jack going to the common out.

Always look at the switch as they can be made differently, but the common out goes to the head unit and the separate inputs go the the two devices that are comming in..

Hope that clears it up.

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 07-04-2007 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:36 AM
Atomic-Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeDream
I think your close but not quite.

On the 3pdt switch ususally the center pins are the common out of the switch. And that would go to the wires leading to the head unit. Then the pins from one side of the switch to the XM unit and the pins from the other side to the IPOD jack. That way when you flip the switch it changes from the xm signal going to the center common out, to the IPOD jack going to the common out.

Always look at the switch as they can be made differently, but the common out goes to the head unit and the separate inputs go the the two devices that are comming in..

Hope that clears it up.
yeah that's it.. I got my typing backward :P
Old 07-04-2007, 03:42 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeDream
Also, couldnt you just perform this same mod where the wires go into the Head Unit instead of running wires from the back to the front and then back(in the case of an XM user)?
You could, but it is a heck of a lot easier to get to the wiring at the XM module than it is to get to the wiring in back of the radio.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Gearhead65
Racer

Originally Posted by JBVette
Thanks for the post. What's your feedback on the sound quality?
In my opinion, it's great. I've had direct connect of the iPod in other vehicles and it is as good (or better in some cases) than that. I set the iPod level to near max and that gives a similar output level to the other bands (CD, FM, AM) so the stereo volume doesn't need to be adjusted between bands. It cranks!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:29 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

i thought this was common knowledge ive done this on a few C6s and it works out great no issues at all, i actually use this cable though http://sonicelectronix.com/item_6794...s+NC-iRCA.html so i can get lineout from the ipod and charging capabilities... i have noticed that its not quite as loud though as a normal cd
Old 07-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Vitamin_J
Heel & Toe

Great posts for the archives for sure! Now someone who is much smarter than me figure out how to make this work with the NAV system.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gearhead65
If you do subscribe to XM, you will need to install and 3PDT switch to switch between XM and Aux input. So far, I don't see away around this if you use the XM, but other may have suggestions. I'm not an XM fan, thus not concerned about it.

Thanks again Ray (Kawal) for the inspiration and help.

Enjoy!
it would be better to use a 3pdt relay and run a single wire to a toggle switch up front. another option is to use david navone's AUTO TRIGGER CIRCUIT. N-902 (instead of the toggle switch) and hook it up to the ipod's output. When you play music through the ipod it will switch to that source automatically. when your ipod is off it'll default to xm
Old 07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Vitamin_J
Great posts for the archives for sure! Now someone who is much smarter than me figure out how to make this work with the NAV system.
It will work with the NAV system as an AUX input the same way it will for non-NAV. You may be asking about controlling the iPod from the screen.. which would require programming and accessing the serial data bus. Not really a DIY mod!

Thanks for the info Gearhead, very useful!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:29 AM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

I went with the USA-SPEC PA11Vette and while the overall result is acceptable, I find that the output volume of the XM module is not. I called my dealer and complained about this and was told that this is due to the units not matching up and they currently do not have a solution. I literally need to crank up the volume when in XM source to get decent sound out of the XM or my iPod now.

Controlling the iPod through the Nav is cool though.

Last edited by SilverSurferC6; 07-24-2007 at 10:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To $9 DIY Aux input for Ipod for C6's with XM

Old 07-24-2007, 03:29 PM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Default Really pizzed about low output of XM mudule

Anyone out there as ticked as I am? The volume is so low! Has anyone been able to get a DIY fix or get GM to fess up and fix it?

Last edited by SilverSurferC6; 08-07-2007 at 08:48 AM.
JohnnieUtah (08-09-2019)
Old 07-26-2007, 08:02 AM
ChuckTu
Racer

This is something I've been looking for forever...went ahead and did this for my Sirius radio and it works awesome...thanks for the idea and great pictures!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:52 AM
C6 Corvette - SRQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by scott_fx
it would be better to use a 3pdt relay and run a single wire to a toggle switch up front. another option is to use david navone's AUTO TRIGGER CIRCUIT. N-902 (instead of the toggle switch) and hook it up to the ipod's output. When you play music through the ipod it will switch to that source automatically. when your ipod is off it'll default to xm
The Auto Trigger Circuit (relay) sounds like the best option to me. I believe in the Keep It Simple Stupid principle... Plug & Play?

Has anyone used this when connecting an iPod? How difficult is it to do? Do you need to tap into a 12-volt source to power the relay?

Thanks!

Ed

Quick Reply: $9 DIY Aux input for Ipod for C6's with XM