C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

npp exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default to NPP or not?

If anyone were to ask me what option to get on a vett, it would be the NPP on top of the list, without having to think about it. I think most 08 owners with the exhaust would agree hands down as well. I've listened to the exhaust where it counts, in the drivers seat for 500+ miles. Some can argue the sound, some can argue the price, but for $ 1299 (MSRP)+$ 15.00 + 20 minutes of time (for the switch), you get two exhaust systems for the price of one.

Just my 2 cents!

Aceman
Old 07-19-2007, 08:27 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceman
If anyone were to ask me what option to get on a vett, it would be the NPP on top of the list, without having to think about it. I think most 08 owners with the exhaust would agree hands down as well. I've listened to the exhaust where it counts, in the drivers seat for 500+ miles. Some can argue the sound, some can argue the price, but for $ 1299 (MSRP)+$ 15.00 + 20 minutes of time (for the switch), you get two exhaust systems for the price of one.

Just my 2 cents!

Aceman

Have you heard Borlas?? Or are you just comparing to base stock?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ohmy
Have not heard the Borlas, i was strictly stating in my post that if anyone asked me what option i'd get i'd recommend the NPP without question. For me, the split personality of the exhaust is worth every penny. Again, this is only my opinion and clearly noise from an exhaust is subjective. I'm not knocking other exhaust systems (especially w/o hearing them), just praising one i happen to own and like very much.

Aceman
Old 07-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipedreams
I am working on something to make this happen
Yeah...we are all waiting!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:17 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I've heard Borlas. I'm the first to admit that they sound damn good. Do they sound better than NPP's? yeah, they probably do. But I still favor the NPPs because they sound pretty close, and they can do tricks that Borlas can't do.

I don't think anyone is trying to imply that we are right and you are wrong. But we are saying that we have spent many hours driving the NPP cars and we'd like people to reserve judgement until they ride in one.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:39 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

I can't say that I have had the fortune to own as many Vettes as you have, but I did my fair share of research by listening to other owners Vettes at car shows and gatherings, I also got a chance to listen to an NPP exhaust at a semi-local dealership last week (for those of you in the central Jersey location, Oasis chevrolet).

With that said, I can say without any doubt or reservations, that the NPP sound doesnt even come close to the Borlas!!! The NPP sounds like a sick Corsa with thin walls. I can't believe anyone would like them. Grand Slam for GM - HA!!! Its more like a foul ball that went over the wall and hit an old lady in the head!!!

Anyway, in the end it's just personal opinion, yours is as good as mine, but I can tell you that NPP will never be found on my Vette...

BTW, for those folks that are concerned about your neighbors - stick with the base exhaust for your Vette - I found that the NPP is very loud at start up, just as loud as aftermarket exhaust. Also, when pulling into your driveway, aftermarket exhaust is no louder...
If you listened to the NPP by standing behind the car while someone at the dealership revved it, then you have not heard it. I did the same thing at Cruise In 8. I'm the one that filmed the video posted here. It sounds much better under load, while in the car and while someone does a drive by. Revving w/ no load doesn't do much

Do I think it sounds any better than many catbacks? No. It's about the same. But your description about a foul ball puzzles me.

What is it about this one factory option (that's all it is, another factory option) that upsets so many? If you don't want it, don't get it. What's the deal?

And to the OP. As much as I like the NPP, if I had an '07 or older C6 - no way would I go to all of that trouble and expense. Geeze - that one guy took apart the whole *** end of his C6 to retrofit an exhaust. That's not worth it to me. I'd install the cat back of my liking.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:35 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Ahhh.... Need for Speed.... I see you ordered the NPP for your 08...
So you just had to have it.....

Its the Coolness of having Loud or Quiet when you want it....

I dont need an 08 to get what I want.

If your going to do a cat back the procedure is basically the same, just the vac tubing is a little more work.
Besides. I have 3" exhaust now and the Npp is 2.5". I could add the B+B Fusion mufflers If I wanted, they will mate right up to my 3" x-pipe.

If you want it even louder stock npp/z06 mufflers check out this thread.....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1419917

Maybe next on the list of tinkering.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:27 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeDream
Ahhh.... Need for Speed.... I see you ordered the NPP for your 08...
So you just had to have it.....

Its the Coolness of having Loud or Quiet when you want it....

I dont need an 08 to get what I want.

If your going to do a cat back the procedure is basically the same, just the vac tubing is a little more work.
Besides. I have 3" exhaust now and the Npp is 2.5". I could add the B+B Fusion mufflers If I wanted, they will mate right up to my 3" x-pipe.

If you want it even louder stock npp/z06 mufflers check out this thread.....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1419917

Maybe next on the list of tinkering.
Yessir. Can't wait.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:58 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I've heard Borlas. I'm the first to admit that they sound damn good. Do they sound better than NPP's? yeah, they probably do. But I still favor the NPPs because they sound pretty close, and they can do tricks that Borlas can't do.

I don't think anyone is trying to imply that we are right and you are wrong. But we are saying that we have spent many hours driving the NPP cars and we'd like people to reserve judgement until they ride in one.
I just installed my Mild to Wild device. Man does the NPP's sound good on all the time!!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Crazy Old Man
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wayne, have you spent any time driving an 08 with the NPP? I have. And I've had three Corvettes with B&B Bullets (and one with B&B PRTs). I've heard most of the other aftermarket exhausts as well. The NPP sounds as good as any of them, in my opinion. And you CAN have the sound all the time. For about $18, I put a switch in my circuit. I have have the good sound all the time, and turn it to quiet for those times I don't want it louder.

GM hit a grand slam with this option. From the posts I've seen, most of the people voting against it have never driven one. I've now got about 1200 miles on my car - about 900 with the exhausts open all the time. To me, there are absolutely no negatives to this system - only positives.
Jim is absolutely correct. GM HIT A GRAND SLAM, Took 2 minutes at the Museum on Tuesday, and put in my MILD2Wild switch and drove home with it open all they way. LOVE IT. 725 miles later I still LOVE IT
There seem to be an awful lot of people BAD MOUTHING the NPP, the only problem is, THEY DON'T OWN ONE, but then again they are the same people that BAD MOUTH GM on ANY OPTION they come up with.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:10 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
But your description about a foul ball puzzles me.
I am just as puzzled at people refering to it as "Grand Slam". This option is for people who are either in love with the word "stock", or don't realize just how easy a Borla goes on, or never heard Borlas. But after all is said and done its just a Gimmick, and an expensive one at that. I doubt that a person who ever had Borlas on their car would fall for it. I think this option will be loved by the dealers though, mmmmm $$$$....

What is it about this one factory option (that's all it is, another factory option) that upsets so many? If you don't want it, don't get it. What's the deal?
I don't recall many people being "upset" about it, what I see is that many people are enchanted by this gimmick and a small percentage are turned off by it, but "upset" - not really... However, being that as it is, and looking at Kerbecks future inventory, just about every car has this new GM exhaust creation. So I guess if anything, people that don't like the NPP could get slightly annoyed that they can't find a car without it on the lot, and are are left with two options - either pay the extra money for the NPP or order a new one and wait till its delivered. Like I said, I think this option will be loved by the dealers, mmmmm $$$$....

And to the OP. As much as I like the NPP, if I had an '07 or older C6 - no way would I go to all of that trouble and expense. Geeze - that one guy took apart the whole *** end of his C6 to retrofit an exhaust. That's not worth it to me. I'd install the cat back of my liking.
Amen to that...

Last edited by ohmy; 07-20-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

I am just as puzzled at people refering to it as "Grand Slam". This option is for people who are either in love with the word "stock", or don't realize just how easy a Borla goes on, or never heard Borlas....
That comment is clearly aimed at me. Maybe you missed the fact that I have had four Corvettes with B&B exhausts (the Bullets are considered the "meanest" sounding made for a Corvette).

Let me also tell you that I know exactly how easy they are to install. I've installed them myself - with no help, in my Garage. I can change out a system in my garage in 90 minutes - including jacking up the car, getting out tools, putting them away etc.

If you like another exhaust more than the NPPs, fine. But if you are going to make comments like the one above, you might want to size up who you are taking aim at first

By the way, no hard feelings. I respect people who like a good debate! Just be sure you don't show up with knife at a gunfight! I'm not an amateur at this you, on the other hand, don't even own a Corvette, and the GTO in your avatar is not even yours. Oh, and another thing - per your comment above...."This option is for people who are either in love with the word "stock", I see by one of your posts that your GTO is actually "stock". See, I do pay attention!

Last edited by jschindler; 07-20-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:34 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let me also tell you that I know exactly how easy they are to install. I've installed them myself - with no help, in my Garage. I can change out a system in my garage in 90 minutes - including jacking up the car, getting out tools, putting them away etc.

oh really? I've got a catback coming in anyday now, sure would like to save the install buck, 'ol buddy....mod party at schindlers house
Old 07-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Crazy Old Man
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like OHMY likes CHEAP and LOUD, probably can't afford it anyway, net cost to me was 985. You can always install something cheaper, especially when you place absolutely no VALUE ON YOUR TIME. Not only are The DEALERS going to like it as OHMY say's, BUT THE CUSTOMERS ARE GOING TO LOVE IT. OHMY doesn't OWN an NPP
so he's definitely not talking from experience, just alot of HOT AIR and BS.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:37 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

That comment is clearly aimed at me. Maybe you missed the fact that I have had four Corvettes with B&B exhausts (the Bullets are considered the "meanest" sounding made for a Corvette).

If you like another exhaust more than the NPPs, fine. But if you are going to make comments like the one above, you might want to size up who you are taking aim at first

By the way, no hard feelings. I respect people who like a good debate! Just be sure you don't show up with knife at a gunfight! I'm not an amateur at this
I think u might have forgotten you medication this morning, this comment was not intented at you or anyone in particular. Why would you say that the comment is directed at you? Seriously, what in the world would make you draw that conclusion?

BTW, I stand by my comment, NPP will most likely be desired by people who are either in love with the word "stock", or don't realize just how easy a Borla goes on, or never heard Borlas.

And thanks for the "other" advise, but honestly, I think you're taking yourself a bit too seriously...

Lastly, just because I don't like NPP, does not mean I'm disrespecting other people who do like it, I'm simply disagreeing with their choice.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:39 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
oh really? I've got a catback coming in anyday now, sure would like to save the install buck, 'ol buddy....mod party at schindlers house
My garage is air conditioned. Never had a new Z06 in - bring it on down!

Here's a picture of my garage...

Old 07-20-2007, 11:42 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

I think u might have forgotten you medication this morning, this comment was not intented at you or anyone in particular. Why would you say that the comment is directed at you? Seriously, what in the world would make you draw that conclusion?

BTW, I stand by my comment, NPP will most likely be desired by people who are either in love with the word "stock", or don't realize just how easy a Borla goes on, or never heard Borlas.

And thanks for the "other" advise, but honestly, I think you're taking yourself a bit too seriously...

Lastly, just because I don't like NPP, does not mean I'm disrespecting other people who do like it, I'm simply disagreeing with their choice.
You might be right about my meds, but I don't have a reading disorder. You said, and I quote : "I am just as puzzled at people refering to it as "Grand Slam". I am the one who referred to it as a Grand Slam. How could that comment NOT be aimed at me?

Get notified of new replies

To npp exhaust

Old 07-20-2007, 11:45 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My garage is air conditioned. Never had a new Z06 in - bring it on down!

Here's a picture of my garage...

SWEEEET

Jim, those rims look AWESOME on the '08! WOW!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Crazy Old Man
Sounds like OHMY likes CHEAP and LOUD, probably can't afford it anyway, net cost to me was 985. You can always install something cheaper, especially when you place absolutely no VALUE ON YOUR TIME. Not only are The DEALERS going to like it as OHMY say's, BUT THE CUSTOMERS ARE GOING TO LOVE IT. OHMY doesn't OWN an NPP
so he's definitely not talking from experience, just alot of HOT AIR and BS.
Really?? hmmm, how does what I said in my prior posts indicate that I like cheap and loud??? Although I would agree with you if we were talking about women, I totally don't see how you made that conclusion.

And how could you possibly know what I can or can not afford??? You should be embarassed to have made that statement, very foolish.

As far as experience goes, well, I said I've heard both, so the experience is there, but how about yourself, have you ever heard Borlas?? how about NPPs? hmmm, I wonder.

Let me sum it up for you: I said I like Borlas over NPP, I've heard both, I like Borlas better.

So now, based on your statement, you are saying that people that like Borlas on their cars like a cheap and loud exhaust? Are you sure you though that out? Are you sure you want to make that statement? heh heh heh, right, I didn't think so...

Last edited by ohmy; 07-20-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:00 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

You might be right about my meds, but I don't have a reading disorder. You said, and I quote : "I am just as puzzled at people refering to it as "Grand Slam". I am the one who referred to it as a Grand Slam. How could that comment NOT be aimed at me?
ok, I stand corrected, that does make sense... Well, although you did make that statement, I lost track of that fact, and simply used the "Grand Slam" reference as a natural counter-reply to the other user who commented on my "foul ball" statement. It honestly wasn't directed at you, I just wanted to keep the baseball "theme". Here is a retraction: change the "Grand Slam" reference in my previous post to "Home Run" (that way the baseball imagery is still there but does not make it seem like its directed at you)...

Last edited by ohmy; 07-20-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: npp exhaust