C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Nav vs others

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:35 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM Nav vs others

What is the advantage of getting another manufacturer nav unit vs the GM one? Is it price (including installation)? Features? Why would I consider it? Help in deciding what to get.......
Old 07-21-2007, 01:43 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,577 Likes on 1,619 Posts

There are a lot of NAV options that you can choose from. I happen to like the factory NAV - there are many that do not. One thing that you likely are not going to be able to duplicate would be the integration with the HUD. I love the HUD and the NAV intrgration. If that isn't important to you, you have plenty of options.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:19 PM
LSD 2005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnodrake
There are a lot of NAV options that you can choose from. I happen to like the factory NAV - there are many that do not. One thing that you likely are not going to be able to duplicate would be the integration with the HUD. I love the HUD and the NAV intrgration. If that isn't important to you, you have plenty of options.
The GM NAV / HUD Intergration is a big plus for me. As Johnodrake stated, if that isn't important, then you have plenty of options to choose from.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:32 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I too agree with what John has to say. There are some great aftermarket NAV units out there. Everything from pocket sized portable to double din LCD screen installs. In most cases the aftermarket will win on ease of use and features. I prefer the factory solution due to the integration with the HUD. Aftermarket units can't offer that. If you start to compare apples to apples so to speak the cost of the indash OEM Nav unit is on par with the aftermarket counterparts. Yes there are plenty that can be had cheaper but these will for the most part be the portable variety and I don't want a beanbag on the dash tethered by the cigarette lighter cord in my Corvette. I have that for my other cars. I also find the OEM unit to be very functional (others will offer varying opinions). The aftermarket will have available the ability to watch DVD movies. When I want to watch a movie I go to my home theater. This is a two seat sports car and have yet to understood the utility in this feature. I won't be watching while I'm driving and I have no kids in the backseat to entertain. Integrated bluetooth is a feature some would like to have, I don't have a need for it but an aftermarket unit will likely have it. A solid iPod connection is desireable. The OEM unit doesn't have it currently but a solution is promised for September which will utilize the factory touch screen and be fully integrated. I'll reserve judgement until it is out. I do concede that most aftermarket units are easier to use (more intuitive) but that does not mean that they are better in my world. The NAV database chosen for the OEM is not one of the best available as many complain about streets and addresses not available in their database. It seems the Northeast was a favored location by the manufacturer because it has been very accurate in my driving area. The problem that I have had with it is that sometimes the name of the street as I know it is abbreviated differently in the database which makes searching a bit more difficult meaning sometimes I enter Street and it is looking for ST, I enter Rt and it wanted Rte and vice versa. For what it is worth, I will buy the OEM Nav again in my next Corvette.

Paul
Old 07-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I've strongly considered switching out to the Pioneer Z2. Much better graphics, better maps and DVD player. No HUD interaction but I think I can live without the little arrow on the windshield. I'll probably make the change this winter.

Pioneer Z2
Old 07-21-2007, 03:38 PM
SteveTurner
Burning Brakes

I like the factory Nav and the integration.(just waiting for the iPod option in September) All my future Corvette's will have factory nav.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

The biggest factors in my mind:

OEM: HUD integration, not having to buy two systems (OEM stereo & replacement Nav), not having to deal with replacement hassels

Aftermarket: No 'I Agree' button on startup, full functionality while moving (without mods), many support AUX video input (for DVD, backup camera, etc)

I chose OEM but can see why others have opted for aftermarket.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:45 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm on my second C6 factory Nav now. I also have factory Nav in my M45 Infiniti, and I have a $350 aftermarket Nav (Garmin) that I use on my motorcycle. On a scale 1 being worst, and 10 best, I'd rate the Corvette Nav about a 3 for features and ease of use, the Infiniti about a 7 and the Garmin about a 9. Any more questions?
Old 07-21-2007, 04:16 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Factory NAV = HUD integration which I think is very nice and use all the time instead on having the NAV babe lowering the volume of my music when she gives instructions.

Fatory NAV = Very clean install, some aftermarket units can look, well like an add on and not look just right.

Aftermarket NAV = Possibly better or more user friendly operation. Some guys find the factory NAV not as easy to work with. I have no problem with myself. I also have a Garmin unit that I move between my other vehicles so I have something to compare to the factory unit.

Aftermarket NAV = Possible ability to view a DVD movie. Personally I have no desire to do this.

Aftermarket NAV = Might also require that you do other things to make it work with what's already in the car such a new amps or adapters to make things match up.

You'll spend about the same amount of money for either setup (installed in-dash unit) so neither has a particular advantage here. Of coarse you can buy a portable unit for a lot less money like my Garmin Nuvi 350.

I'm glad I got the factory NAV radio. It has always taken me to my destination.

Last edited by quickride; 07-21-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:19 PM
C6SilverBullit
Instructor

For me it was a money issue.

I have more than one car. I didn't want to buy multiple NAVs. So I bought a portable unit (TOM TOM 1 for $299)

Many people complain about the portables messing up the interior appearance of their vehicle. I actually know where I am driving to most of the time, so my NAV is in the center console when I am not using it. It takes less than 30 seconds to install.

Of course since I did buy it, there was one instance in which I was driving in one car, and the NAV was in the other. My solution was to have the GF ask for directions. This alternative was free and it allowed me to keep my manhood intact and not have to ask for directions myself

Get notified of new replies

To GM Nav vs others

Quick Reply: GM Nav vs others