C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clear coat on roof panel scratched off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:57 PM
corviette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clear coat on roof panel scratched off.

Well, I was looking at the vette the other day and noticed that the roof panel had some scuff marks on it. Im not sure if the dealer did this or if this was my own doing. Are there any products out there that can restore this clear coat without having to the get the roof repainted? it looks like a round swirly mark on the roof like maybe someone put a heavy cardboard box on the car and it slid off taking the clear coat with it, thus dulling the paint in that one area.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 02:18 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

If by "restore the clear coat" you mean actually replace the now missing clear coat - there are no products that can do this. The top would have to be stripped and repainted.

You don't say how deep the scratches are (all the way through the paint to the white material underneath?). If you can run your fingernail across them and feel them, then no amount of buffing will fix that issue. If it is less than that, you could try using come remover/scratch compound and buff the smaller scratches out.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:54 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by corviette
some scuff marks on it... it looks like a round swirly mark on the roof like maybe someone put a heavy cardboard box on the car and it slid off taking the clear coat with it, thus dulling the paint in that one area.

Thanks
It's hard to say without seeing it, but if it just looks like scuff marks, then you should be able to polish the clearcoat so the scuffs don't show.

As MNVette indicated, if you can feel them with your fingernail, it's a serious problem, but if it's just dulled paint, and scuff marks, and not actual scratches, it may not be too bad.

Do the marks look anything like this:

If so, it's pretty easy to get them to look like this:
Old 07-20-2007, 04:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Gosh, that certainly is an odd scoop for a Corvette. Could be a Sube.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:32 PM
corviette
Racer

yeah it kinda looks like that. I ran my fingers across it and i cant feel it so i guess thats a good sign. So what products do you recommend i use to buff out the scuffs? it just looks really dull in that one area.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:41 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by corviette
yeah it kinda looks like that. I ran my fingers across it and i cant feel it so i guess thats a good sign. So what products do you recommend i use to buff out the scuffs? it just looks really dull in that one area.
You may want to pose this question (and pics if you can) in the car care forum. There's many members with a lot of experience and info.

There's quite a few products that would take care of it easily if you have access to an orbital buffer (like a Porter Cable 7424). I used Zaino Z-PC swirl remover to take the swirls and scuffs out of my paint (Yup - on my Sube! - My "winter Vette" ).

If you don't have an orbital buffer, you may be about to take the scuffs out by hand with a polish like Z-PC, but it will be a lot more difficult. I haven't tried it myself, so check over on the car care forum, and I'm sure someone will have a good recommendation.

The good news is that it sounds like you just have some imperfections in the clearcoat, so it shouldn't be too major to resolve the issue.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had great results using this product for years.
I just did another coat, I use it as a surface prep as well to smooth the surface.
Not only does it smell great & remove scratches on my Corvette clearcoat,
it leaves behined the best deep blue gloss wax shine.
Even better then one of my favorites, Rejex ...Yes its True!

Zymol Liquid Cleaner Wax is an easy to apply cleaner and polish containing nature's most effective and expensive ingredients. This dual action, non solvent (based), all natural formula cleans and protects in one simple step. Liquid Cleaner Wax will remove minor scratches and oxidation. A combination of Kaolin Clays from Africa and gentle Almond Meal from California provide a safe and effective cleaning action for your car without abrasion. Pure Beeswax provides a water repellent finish.

Get notified of new replies

To clear coat on roof panel scratched off.

Quick Reply: clear coat on roof panel scratched off.