C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 airbox dissection and Vette-Air install...>

Old 08-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Default '08 airbox dissection and Vette-Air install...>

I'm a big fan of cool intake air. It's been proven numerous times, get more cool air to the intake there is less timing pull and more horsepower made..Simple. The '08 airbox is basically a Z06 system with a Helmholz resonator attached to attenuate noise and improve flow.. Nice design with a downward facing inlet. No real restrictions or bottle necks unlike the prior year C6 systems. Feed some fresh air to that and half the job is done.. The Vette-Air seemed a pretty elegant solution to this. Relatively inexpensive, easy install, obvoius benefits. This maintains OEM quality, with some of the Vararam benefits. I haven't been impressed with some of the quality reports on that. The Vett-Air is a nicely made fiberglass piece.

The install is pretty easy. Minor cutting of the shroud (while on the car). Figure about 1.5 hours to put in, with no dissasembly other than the airbox removal. The Vette-air can install from underneath with no grill removal necessary:

Nice, big fresh air scoop:

Totally invisible behind my grill:

While in there I decided to take a look at the '08 airbox. With the resonator, it's a monster:

One thing that surprised me was the thickness of the filter. Maybe with a little less restriction here and the cool air feed, things should be nicely improved:

No road-test as it's 95 here to day....Not much point, but I'm sure there will be general benefits gained..

More pics in the Vette-Air album here: http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/corvette-stuff/

Part 2: Cold air box addition. More info on Page 3:

Vette-Air is a forum vendor http://vette-air.com/ Check out the install video..(no need to pull the grill as the install can be done easily from underneath the car.)

Steve

Last edited by Modshack; 08-07-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:32 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Nice!!Funny how that vette air box looks exactly like the VARARAM!!The 08 air filter is the Z06 FILTER!That is one thick ****!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:34 PM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice writeup, thanks!! I'm sure there will be a K&N drop-in filter eventually.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:49 PM
FredSM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. The Vette-Air does look an awful lot like the VR (which I have). And, the build quality of the VR is just what everyone says . . . pretty crappy. But, as you say, there is little arguing with the track stats with and without. I'm just a poser . . . like the "idea" of more HP, not that I'd actually know what to do with it. Regardless, I'd love to see some before/after 1/4 times with the Vette-Air.

FM
Old 08-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RRVettes
Nice writeup, thanks!! I'm sure there will be a K&N drop-in filter eventually.
I'm sure one exists for the Z06....Anybody have a supplier?
Old 08-04-2007, 02:46 PM
CorvetteMike68
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im picking up my 08 in a few weeks...i was going to get the VR snake charmer...but this looks like a decent replacement...what do you think?

Mike
Old 08-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike68
im picking up my 08 in a few weeks...i was going to get the VR snake charmer...but this looks like a decent replacement...what do you think?

Mike
Mike...Keep in mind that the MAF sensor is now mounted in the plastic snorkle like the Z06....there is a Vararam for that model but it's $550 and includes a MAF relocation tube. I've read a lot of posts on this and while the Snake Charmer's results are liked, most have some issues with the quality. A lower restriction filter in the stock housing and the Fresh air Scoop should provide sufficient benefits and maintain the OEM quality of the Intake system (with no MAF issues)..Bottom line, the difference is over $400...you decide!

Last edited by Modshack; 08-04-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:02 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse12804
Nice!!Funny how that vette air box looks exactly like the VARARAM!!
Hardly exactly. The MAF is incorporated in the airbox, the Helmholz resonator smooths the airflow through the MAF, etc.

The 08 air filter is the Z06 FILTER!That is one thick ****!
But it flows well enough to make 505 hp. It won't be the flow bottleneck on a stock or mildly modified LS3.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:03 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh wow, I didn't realize that resonator or intake silencer (as we used call it back in the Mustang 5.0 days and even the stock LS1 F-body air intakes had a version of it) was so big/deep, it's hard to tell while it's on the car.
And yes I figured that the filter element was the same thick/restrictive one as the C6 Z06's.
There is definitely some power to be freed up by working that system as evidenced by the latest dyno of an '08 with a basic K&N air intake added.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:04 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1418767
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...0&page=1&pp=20

Jim Hall first post:
If you have a C6 Z06, you have cold air already. In fact, our testing shows that the amount of forced air that is directed into the AIS hooded shroud requires that the gasket sealing it to the front bumper NOT be removed. When the gasket is removed, the forced air actually causes severe turbulence at the mouth of the Donaldson PowerCore filter, which promotes severe bucking and surging at very low throttle postitions, especially in fifth and sixth gear.

If you take a trouble light and put it on the end of the AIS, partially close the hood, then shut off the lights in your shop, you can see the light coming through the NACA duct on the front fascia.

IT WORKS.

The methodology here was to provide extreme volumes of forced air into the AIS vestibule, but not directly into the filter itself. The hooded shroud around the AIS protects the filter from airflow turbulence and water. When airflow comes in the NACA ducting it flows over the hooded shroud and is then pulled up into the filter itself.

We are testing a High Flow version of this filter and will have one ready for the market in about 2 months when our testing is finished. We now have two full months of testing and have come to the conclusion that GM's stock AIS is a winner. It outflows our C6 Stinger SSM by 4%, but that is when compared to the intregal C6 screened MAF sensor vs. the Hitachi Probe MAF sensor.

The new Hitachi Probe MAF sensor is sooooooo sensitive to turbulence, that GM had to work on the MAF location, calibration, and filter design for months before getting it all right.

I have not tested the bottom breathers yet, but it will be a challenge to get them to work in this application.

There is no sales pitch here, since we are not considering using the Stinger on the Z06, when their present design mandates a complete re-engineering of our efforts.

More information: http://www.corvettels7.com/products/intake_systems.html

Jim

From an older thread:
Z06 Cold Air scoop, it does work.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...0&forum_id=100
"The new Z06 sports factory cold air induction. Some have suggested that there is no functional NACA ducting on the front fascia, but that is not true. You can hold a light up to the bumper area just behind the duct-work and see light from the outside of the car. This is not ram air, but it is forceful cold air induction. The stock airbox has a shroud around the end of the airbox, and a rubber gasket that seals it against the front bumper. Take this gasket off and you will get so much airflow across the front of the airbox, that is actually causes severe bucking and surging. So much so, that the car feels like it is missing. With the gasket in place, the forced air actually comes in and around the airbox, and is then sucked into the filter area. This is the best of the best for cold air, since there is no chance of water ingestion." - Jim Hall

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...st15557409 08
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1645916
Old 08-04-2007, 03:04 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Hardly exactly. The MAF is incorporated in the airbox, the Helmholz resonator smooths the airflow through the MAF, etc.
Meaning what? Are you saying this is better than the VARARAM?or THAT IT DOESN'T LOOK JUST LIKE IT?
Old 08-04-2007, 03:05 PM
11secondGP
Burning Brakes

Thanks for taking the time to do this!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:05 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
But it flows well enough to make 505 hp. It won't be the flow bottleneck on a stock or mildly modified LS3.
Well, on the other hand there was a test early on where that thick filter was removed from a C6 Z06 and the car picked up a considerable amount of power on the dyno...though it wasn't tuned either so it might've just leaned out a bit too.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
The new Hitachi Probe MAF sensor is sooooooo sensitive to turbulence, that GM had to work on the MAF location, calibration, and filter design for months before getting it all right.

I have not tested the bottom breathers yet, but it will be a challenge to get them to work in this application.
First, this is NOT a Z06 so does not have any Cool air feeds stock, secondly, I would be quite surprised if ANY turbulence got through a filter as thick as this one. It is vaned to flow the air straight into the housing, much like a flow straightener on other MAF equipped cars I've worked on (and designed CAI's for). Thirdly I just got back from a 20 mile run in 95 degree temps and noticed no "bucking and surging".... No downsides IMO.... I can see where this may be an issue with thinner, un-vaned filters though and Shopdog may be right...There may be little actual restriction here. My experimentation (using a sensitive Magnehelic gauge) with other stock boxes on other cars, reveals the filter is usually the least of the restrictions in an intake system. It's usually the housing that causes the problem, and the '08 (Z06) design has absolutely No restriction issues......I'll probably just leave it as is...

Also, Jim Hall seems to be endorsing the Vette-Air application: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1774497

Last edited by Modshack; 08-04-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:10 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Meaning what? Are you saying this is better than the VARARAM?or THAT IT DOESN'T LOOK JUST LIKE IT?
I'm saying what I said, the '08 stock air cleaner housing is not exactly like a Vararam. Its design is different. It looks different. It isn't just a flimsy plastic snorkel tacked on in front of a separate MAF. It is an engineered piece with more complex functions.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

I'm saying what I said, the '08 stock air cleaner housing is not exactly like a Vararam. Its design is different. It looks different. It isn't just a flimsy plastic snorkel tacked on in front of a separate MAF. It is an engineered piece with more complex functions.
Hence my desire to retain the OEM part...
Old 08-04-2007, 04:17 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Oh,the stock filter housing.No,I was referring to the vette-air scoop thing in front of the front opening in the vette being just like the VARARAM's.The 08 air filter setup is like the Z06's.

Get notified of new replies

To '08 airbox dissection and Vette-Air install...>

Old 08-04-2007, 04:24 PM
11secondGP
Burning Brakes

When they dynoed the 08 with the K&N over 400whp, there was no mention of bucking or surging either.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:20 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Oh,the stock filter housing.No,I was referring to the vette-air scoop thing in front of the front opening in the vette being just like the VARARAM's.The 08 air filter setup is like the Z06's.
Gotcha.

Just eyeballing the pictures, I've got to say there are differences still. For one thing, the Vette-air doesn't appear to hang down as low as the Vararam. If that's true, that's a plus since it won't be taking in the very hot air (and road debris) down near the road surface. The opening looks larger too. But it is hard to tell without seeing one in person.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Gotcha.

Just eyeballing the pictures, I've got to say there are differences still. For one thing, the Vette-air doesn't appear to hang down as low as the Vararam. If that's true, that's a plus since it won't be taking in the very hot air (and road debris) down near the road surface. The opening looks larger too. But it is hard to tell without seeing one in person.
Plus, not being a "sealed" system, that debris won't be deposited directly on the filter element with no other place to go (like a Vararam). I designed a front Grill fed box for Audi's and VW's and you wouldn't believe the junk that found it's way up to the airbox!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '08 airbox dissection and Vette-Air install...>