C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy accessory graphics

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:54 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Chevy accessory graphics

Any one actually buy this???

Can't really tell how it looks from the pics on the web site.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 AM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'17

Looks great on my Jim's (C6coupe) car
Old 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM
classicfit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw one ordered from the dealer with those stripes at a car show a couple of months ago. They looked ok on a red car, but the graphics material is rather dull (non-shiny) when compared to the adjacent paint.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:11 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Benjamin.....one word....'plastics' ( but not on Corvettes )

I know, it's just because I am getting old and can remember when special graphics were painted on cars.....

Paint. Now that's a concept. Vinyl tape on a Corvette? I'm biased. I don't care how good it looks it's still plastic tape. It's gonna deteriorate and catch wax. Vinyl tape looks cheap on a car.

Now, before you get upset with me for saying this, I was around when pinstriped and larger graphics on the likes of the Camaro were painted on. Then came 1969 and all of a sudden the swoosh on the side of the Camaro was vinyl tape collecting big puffy door nicks and peeling off.

Cheap looking even on a Camaro and that's scary.

So, yah, I know, that was long ago and the tape is better and the adhesive is better etc etc. Yah, but it's still plastic tape and still looks cheap on a new Corvette to me.

Yah, I'm getting old. Paint looks good to me on an expensive car. My advice is if you want special graphics have a mastter painter or artist mask the design and paint it on. Then polish it along with the rest of the paint on the car.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Don't waist your money on the GM stripes if you are going to try to put them on yourself. Also, I doubt the average dealership has someone qualified to put them on for you. Go to a professional graphics shop, most cities have them. Let them put the stripes on, or just have the shop make whatever you want. Mine were custom made from 10year material and warrantee for as long as I own the car. Don't let anyone tell you all metrials are the same, they make high quality and low quality. Also stay away from any metalic colors, they don't last long. I did a lot of research before getting mine.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:59 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I know, it's just because I am getting old and can remember when special graphics were painted on cars.....

Paint. Now that's a concept. Vinyl tape on a Corvette? I'm biased. I don't care how good it looks it's still plastic tape. It's gonna deteriorate and catch wax. Vinyl tape looks cheap on a car.

Now, before you get upset with me for saying this, I was around when pinstriped and larger graphics on the likes of the Camaro were painted on. Then came 1969 and all of a sudden the swoosh on the side of the Camaro was vinyl tape collecting big puffy door nicks and peeling off.

Cheap looking even on a Camaro and that's scary.

So, yah, I know, that was long ago and the tape is better and the adhesive is better etc etc. Yah, but it's still plastic tape and still looks cheap on a new Corvette to me.

Yah, I'm getting old. Paint looks good to me on an expensive car. My advice is if you want special graphics have a mastter painter or artist mask the design and paint it on. Then polish it along with the rest of the paint on the car.
Every car you see on the road with pin stripping is made of vinyl. All moldings put on cars are attached with 3M vinyl tape. If done right and with today's technology, they will last just as long as the paint on the car. Also, just like paint, the color has a lot to do with durability of the graphics. If properly taken care of, todays high quality vinyl will last a very long time...
Old 08-10-2007, 01:39 PM
C6Coupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:49 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not all that impressed with the stripes. One of my friends however has a white convertible and put that type of stripping on the hood. Must admit, it looks pretty good.

I would like to see some GHOST FLAMES, to see how they would look on a silver convertible.

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy accessory graphics

Quick Reply: Chevy accessory graphics