C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Rattle...2007 Z51

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:06 PM
DRMN OF A VETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Rattle...2007 Z51

Hey gang,
I have been going round and round with Chevrolet regarding the rattle in my shifter. Each time I go back to the dealership, I'm told they are working on a fix yet no progress seems to have been made. The suggestion is that I hold down my gear shifter while driving to prevent the rattle. O.K., thats not what I call a fix. The rattle is extremely loud during acceleration so I don't like getting on my car as much due to the noise I get from the shifter during hard acceleration. Has anyone else experienced this and did you have resolution to the problem?
I have 13K on my Vette and the problem began at about 4-5K miles. No mods...Yet
Old 08-13-2007, 09:16 PM
eagles6998
Melting Slicks

It happens when the car is just warming up. I have to take mine in for this.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dumb Question, have they tried a replacement shifter. If they havent, and you decide to go for it, dont let them scratch your console.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:23 PM
DRMN OF A VETTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by eagles6998
It happens when the car is just warming up. I have to take mine in for this.
That was the beginning symptom for me and the problem just kept getting worse. Let me know what the dealership says however, I assume they will hand you a piece of paper and say their working on a fix. GM will be calling me tomorrow with an update. I know that the new 08 shifter has been improved so hopefully this can be applied to our cars. Keep us posted.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 06 and my shifter rattles like crazy on any road that is not smooth. Hope they have a fix for this very soon. Good thing my exhuast is loud which drowns out the sound of the rattle .
Old 08-13-2007, 11:41 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

This may help you

Interesting reading from Lemobile:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...3&postcount=23

More....

From this thread by 877FullPower:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...3&postcount=27

25823571 is the new part # replacing 15844545. This is the 2007 Z06 shifter.

Here is a bulletin from GM:

Subject: Manual Transmission Shift Lever May Rattle - keywords **** loose MM6 noise transmission vibration YB #PIC4355 - (12/18/2006)

Models: 2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvettes equipped with MM6 Manual Transmission only.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment of a rattle noise from the manual sift lever. This concern can be intermittent however when present, can be eliminated by squeezing the shifter **** or applying pressure to the shifter **** itself.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Engineering is aware of this concern and is working on a repair. At this time, DO NOT replace any parts for this concern. This PI will be updated when a fix for this concern becomes available.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Last edited by HIRISC; 08-13-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:37 AM
DRMN OF A VETTE
Instructor

Does this mean that a fix is available.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 AM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by DRMN OF A VETTE
Does this mean that a fix is available.

Thanks
I believe so, yes. I have not seen an official TSB, but I was at my dealer last week and the head Vette mechanic referenced a 'fix' for any shifter rattle.

It might be filtering its way into the dealerships.. Hopefully, they formalize the 'fix' for those who have the rattle.

I see you have an 07'.. from what I've read, the majority of rattle issues have been with 05/06' manuals.. ???

Good luck with yours. Please post back when you talk with the GM rep.

Chris
Old 08-14-2007, 10:02 PM
DRMN OF A VETTE
Instructor

Well, I spoke with the rep today after she called the dealership. The service manager said that the rattle sound from the rattle was normal with vettes and that they were not concerned. When I spoke with the rep, I mentioned the bump track and the long drives that GM takes with select vehichles to ensure that rattle weren't there. I also stated that if a rattle were normal, it would occur once I took ownership rather than getting worse as I drove. I finially said that once we become complacent on improving a problem, we at that point accept mediocrity and that I didn't choose to purchase a corvette for mediocre reasons. She said that she would speak with her District Manager to escalate the problem. Again, I will keep you updated.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

I agree that it's a common noise, but I don't agree that it's wholly acceptable and/or not fixeable.

I'd press on and hopefully you bump into someone that feels the same way.

If there is a fix, there should be a TSB forthcoming.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:24 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an 07 Z06 and have the annoying rattle under hard acceleration.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:11 AM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DRMN OF A VETTE
Well, I spoke with the rep today after she called the dealership. The service manager said that the rattle sound from the rattle was normal with vettes and that they were not concerned. When I spoke with the rep, I mentioned the bump track and the long drives that GM takes with select vehichles to ensure that rattle weren't there. I also stated that if a rattle were normal, it would occur once I took ownership rather than getting worse as I drove. I finially said that once we become complacent on improving a problem, we at that point accept mediocrity and that I didn't choose to purchase a corvette for mediocre reasons. She said that she would speak with her District Manager to escalate the problem. Again, I will keep you updated.
You are getting the runaround. Mine rattled after it was about 5 months old back in 06, and I took it in to the dealer. The mechanic told me that GM told them that it was "normal", but said to me "If it was one of the Corvette engineer's personal car, I would bet they wouldn't put up with that". I told them it wasn't like that when I bought it, so no one should say that it is "normal".

Anyhow, they replaced it under warranty, and it has been good ever since. No hassle, no argument, no BS. Some dealerships are cool at least.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:55 AM
geharmon
7th Gear

Default 2007 Z51 - no rattle when shifting

Ive just hit 5,000 miles, 11 months old and no rattle. Make them fix it under warrenty.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:31 AM
MaxOctane
Racer

I've got the rattle, but only since I put in a Callaway short shifter.

However I think the problem is related. Only that the stock shifter does a better job of dampening the vibrations.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:01 AM
redrokit8
Racer

Originally Posted by MaxOctane
I've got the rattle, but only since I put in a Callaway short shifter.

However I think the problem is related. Only that the stock shifter does a better job of dampening the vibrations.
That's the question I have. I am considering putting in the B&M shifter kit but I don't want the hassle of the annoying vibrations that I have previously experienced with Hurst Competition Plus type shifter noises.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Randall G.
Racer

There are several band-aids people have applied while waiting for the factory fix. For example, a (heavier) Sparco shifter **** has worked for many people. I have a tennis ball impaled on the shifter rod. It works well enough that I keep forgetting that I want the factory fix when it's available.

I'm officially on record with GM as dissatisfied with the (lack of) repair of the rattling shifter. I had the GM regional rep sitting next to me in the car: he acknowledged it was rattling, then told me there was nothing he could do for me. We're going back about 2 years now....
Old 08-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Crush2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default annoyance with A6 rattle

2006 automatic convertible. The shift button in the auto gearshift selector will rattle/hum/buzz at certain speeds/RPMs, such as...normal driving speeds. I can "fix" the problem similar to the manny suggestions, by placing a hand/finger on it, but that is not where your hands are supposed to be if you are not shifting, and besides, it IS an auto. I did stick a toothpick in the button gap, but that's just so...tacky.

Any other A6 owners with this problem, and does anyone know of a "fix" that does not require a "hands-on" or "toothpick-in" solution??

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter Rattle...2007 Z51

Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 AM
markabc6
Racer

My 05 did this from day 1 (shifter buzz/rattle more noticeable in 3rd) very annoying.

Complained about, with no results.

Went away after about 18k (no, I didn't turn up the radio, get louder exhaust, or get used to it... )

If indeed it is excessive tol, from bushing, grommet/isolator, etc...it should have gotten worse or change freq

just saw this on the Z06 side!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1786418

Last edited by markabc6; 08-15-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

"Marcabc6" beats me to the post, just finished the install, now NO MORE RATTLE
Old 08-15-2007, 07:36 PM
DRMN OF A VETTE
Instructor

The post above looks promising. I will be waiting for the rep to call me tomorrow regarding the post above. Glad to see that there is hope after all. By the way Randall, looks like your car is going to be getting a half birthday present if the post above is accurate. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Shifter Rattle...2007 Z51