C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:24 PM
THESECRET
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 cold air intake

can someone give me advice on a cold air intake does it really boost hp and save on gas? and can someone suggest a brand? i have a 2008 thx alot
Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Two Words...Yes.
Vararam.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Bumpstick
Instructor

Originally Posted by THESECRET
can someone give me advice on a cold air intake does it really boost hp and save on gas? and can someone suggest a brand? i have a 2008 thx alot
You pick up on the fuel milage with the intake and tune.
Check this forum vendors site.

http://www.corvettec5.com/store/?pag...64db6d7fe837f0
Old 08-17-2007, 11:06 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Guitarstar
Two Words...Yes.
Vararam.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,545 Likes on 527 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Old 08-18-2007, 09:34 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Mr Secret,

Please check this out:

http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/co...air-install-a/

Thanks,
Carlos

If you are insterested, the Halltech Killer Bee and Vette-Air combo is on sale now!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:57 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarstar
Two Words...Yes.
Vararam.
Vararam won't work on a 2008, neither will the Honker, or any of the other air cleaner housings currently on the market for the older C6s. The 2008 MAF is in the air bridge, same as a Z06, instead of being a separate piece that follows the air bridge as in older C6s.

But you can add a fresh air scoop to the stock setup, see the VetteAire product, or do one of the zero $ shroud venting mods. That's all you need to get ambient air to the filter. The stock 2008 air filter has a much larger surface area than the pair used in the older C6s (not that flow restriction was ever a problem with the older style air cleaner elements either). So no need to replace the air filter housing, just add a direct path for ambient air to reach the filter.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:03 AM
2JZFAN
Racer

Originally Posted by shopdog
Vararam won't work on a 2008, neither will the Honker, or any of the other air cleaner housings currently on the market for the older C6s. The 2008 MAF is in the air bridge, same as a Z06, instead of being a separate piece that follows the air bridge as in older C6s.

But you can add a fresh air scoop to the stock setup, see the VetteAire product, or do one of the zero $ shroud venting mods. That's all you need to get ambient air to the filter. The stock 2008 air filter has a much larger surface area than the pair used in the older C6s (not that flow restriction was ever a problem with the older style air cleaner elements either). So no need to replace the air filter housing, just add a direct path for ambient air to reach the filter.
Yep, that's why I'm having a tough time with the prices for the LS3 C6 intakes. Companies like Halltech expect LS3 C6 owners to pay the Z06 tax.. It's like $400 for the LS2 intake and $550 (Z06 Tax) for the LS3 Intake. IMO free is the best way to go for now.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:45 AM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not many choices for the LS3 yet.

I agree with Myhardtop and Shopdog, try the Vette-Air system Myhardtop sells either by itself or in combination with the Halltech Killer Bee. If you don't want to pay for the Killer Bee just stick with the stock LS3 intake and add the Vette-Air inlet. The stock LS3 intake is based on the Z06 intake and is so much better than the stock LS2 intake. It also has a different type of MAF sensor than the LS2 intake and the MAF sensor is built into the air bridge.

I recently added the Vette-Air inlet system and the Halltech Venom to my LS2. My buddy Modshack added the Vette-Air system to his LS3, then added a Halltech Killer Bee. The pictures Myhardtop linked to are Modshacks.

Here are a couple more of the Vette-Air inlet.

LS2 intake for comparison

Vette-Air/Halltech Venom Intake for the LS2. (Uses the same filter as the Killer Bee for the LS3/Z06)

Last edited by ZPirate; 08-18-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:35 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JZFAN
I'm having a tough time with the prices for the LS3 C6 intakes. Companies like Halltech expect LS3 C6 owners to pay the Z06 tax.. It's like $400 for the LS2 intake and $550 (Z06 Tax) for the LS3 Intake. IMO free is the best way to go for now.
Would love the Bee, but hard to justify the $$$$.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:53 AM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

Originally Posted by shopdog

Check out our unit for the C6-Z06. The 08 airbox appears to be the same and should accept our C6-Z06 kit with the air meter adaptor!!!
Any other thoughts on the fit for the 08 from anyone???
Thanks
Steve
Old 08-18-2007, 02:59 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

That's right!

The Vette-Air is on sale now for only $124.95 (reg price $139.95), the scoop will give your vette a big breath of cooler air.

The Vette-Air is made from a three part fiberglass material that WILL not get flimsy from heating and cooling cycles, and it shields heat from the radiator. It is light and strong...it will last for as long as you own your car and it mounts high behind the front mesh...water ingestion is not an issue unless you drive into a deep (2ft or more) puddle of water.

Please visit: www.vette-air.com

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-18-2007, 03:28 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
That's right!

The Vette-Air is on sale now for only $124.95 (reg price $139.95), the scoop will give your vette a big breath of cooler air.

The Vette-Air is made from a three part fiberglass material that WILL not get flimsy from heating and cooling cycles, and it shields heat from the radiator. It is light and strong...it will last for as long as you own your car and it mounts high behind the front mesh...water ingestion is not an issue unless you drive into a deep (2ft or more) puddle of water.

Please visit: www.vette-air.com

Thanks,
Carlos

Actually, the way your product works, it would have no effect at all on the cars ability to ingest water.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:59 PM
rx vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZPirate
Not many choices for the LS3 yet.

I agree with Myhardtop and Shopdog, try the Vette-Air system Myhardtop sells either by itself or in combination with the Halltech Killer Bee. If you don't want to pay for the Killer Bee just stick with the stock LS3 intake and add the Vette-Air inlet. The stock LS3 intake is based on the Z06 intake and is so much better than the stock LS2 intake. It also has a different type of MAF sensor than the LS2 intake and the MAF sensor is built into the air bridge.

I recently added the Vette-Air inlet system and the Halltech Venom to my LS2. My buddy Modshack added the Vette-Air system to his LS3, then added a Halltech Killer Bee. The pictures Myhardtop linked to are Modshacks.

Here are a couple more of the Vette-Air inlet.
Hey ZPirate did you notice a noticable difference after installing the intake and the air-inlet? Any thoughts on what the effects would be on performance if we were to just install the Air Inlet and not the Halltech?
Old 08-18-2007, 04:10 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rx vette
Hey ZPirate did you notice a noticable difference after installing the intake and the air-inlet? Any thoughts on what the effects would be on performance if we were to just install the Air Inlet and not the Halltech?
I did notice a difference after installing them. Of course it has been hot here ever since so I expect to see a bigger difference when it cools down some. I also noticed that my exhaust is louder which indicates to me that more air is flowing (I have a stock exhaust). Also based on some of the temp measurements Modshock took the airbox area is cooler with the Vette-Air system than it was before.

Since you have an 08 I would try just the Vette-Air system first before spending more money on an intake. The 08 already has a much better intake stock than the 05-07s did. If you still want more I would consider the Halltech. Modshack just installed both on his 08, but he had the Vette-Air on a few days before the Killer Bee arrived and noticed a difference with just the Vette-Air.

Last edited by ZPirate; 08-18-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:44 PM
11secondGP
Burning Brakes

The Z06/LS3 K&N has a better design for their air bridge(IMO), is much cheaper than the Bee, and fits the LS3. $270 and then just cut your shroud for free. There are plenty of dyno sheets that show significant gains from the K&N.

Also there are cheaper duct pieces that can hold up to the pressure/heat at HomeDepot/Lowes.

Remember the price is not always directly related to value or performance.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:50 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 11secondGP
The Z06/LS3 K&N has a better design for their air bridge(IMO), is much cheaper than the Bee, and fits the LS3. $270 and then just cut your shroud for free. There are plenty of dyno sheets that show significant gains from the K&N.

Also there are cheaper duct pieces that can hold up to the pressure/heat at HomeDepot/Lowes.

Remember the price is not always directly related to value or performance.
There are always DIY alternatives. The question is do you want to try to come up with something yourself or use an existing design or product. Sure you could cut some holes yourself or you could buy something like the Vette-Air. That is what I chose to do.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 cold air intake

Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Bumpstick
Instructor

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries
Check out our unit for the C6-Z06. The 08 airbox appears to be the same and should accept our C6-Z06 kit with the air meter adaptor!!!
Any other thoughts on the fit for the 08 from anyone???
Thanks
Steve
I tried installing a Zo6 CAI on a 08 LS3 and it does not fit right. It runs into the radiator support and deflects it up and the hood won't close right.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:52 PM
rx vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZPirate
I did notice a difference after installing them. Of course it has been hot here ever since so I expect to see a bigger difference when it cools down some. I also noticed that my exhaust is louder which indicates to me that more air is flowing (I have a stock exhaust). Also based on some of the temp measurements Modshock took the airbox area is cooler with the Vette-Air system than it was before.

Since you have an 08 I would try just the Vette-Air system first before spending more money on an intake. The 08 already has a much better intake stock than the 05-07s did. If you still want more I would consider the Halltech. Modshack just installed both on his 08, but he had the Vette-Air on a few days before the Kille Bee arrived and noticed a difference with just the Vette-Air.
I was thinking that as well. The LS3 has a pretty nice intake as is, which is brings me to question whether or not adding an aftermarket intake would really make that much of a difference. I think I might wait a little bit and hear some feedback.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 PM
11secondGP
Burning Brakes

Have you seen the dynos with the LS3 and K&N intake? Pretty significant gains.

Quick Reply: 2008 cold air intake