C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TINT removing suggestions please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Je zz C6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TINT removing suggestions please!

Anyone know what's the best way to remove tint from the front windows? Or should I just take into a shop and have them take care of it? Any ideas or suggestions from anyone that's done it before?

Yes, after having tint on all my cars for the past 10 years, I finally got a ticket this weekend for my front windows tint. Cop mentioned going 20 over speed limit and no front license plate but gave me a break and only wrote me a $10 fix it ticket for my tint. Not complaining and am thankful and glad he gave me a break. I was long overdo for that ticket since tint has always been almost limo up front. Thanks for all info

Last edited by Je zz C6; 08-27-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:43 PM
relaxitsonlylife
Racer

DEFINITELY take it to a shop. It's very tough to remove tint, and very easy to scratch up everything.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:45 PM
t56gen3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get lucky, you should be able to lift a corner with a razor blade and peel it off in one piece. If not, it will come off in shreds. After you get the film off, give it a good bath in Simple Green and scrape the adhesive off with a razor blade. Or you could pay the tint shop for removal (might charge you $40-50 or so to do it, depending on the shop.) It comes down to 'what is your time worth'...
Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Bone Daddy
Member: Jr Geezer's Club
Support Corvetteforum!

Put glass in direct sunlight.
Spray entire glass liberally with water.
Cover entire glass with black plastic (trash bag style)
Heat from sun will create steam and compromise (losen) adhesive on tint.
Let it steam for approx .5 hr.
This will allow you to peel and then razor blade clean.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Je zz C6
Burning Brakes

good stuff, thanks guys.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The first time I got a fix up ticket, I had a hard time finding a tint shop that was willing to remove the tint. I finally found one that directed me to a girl that comes to you and removes the tint from your car for $25. It's very easy to remove from what I saw. She wouldnt tell me what she was spraying on the tint to make it come off so easily though.

Just call a few shops. It's not that expensive. Get your ticket signed off after removal and go back to the tint shop to get it redone.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Je zz C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hells
The first time I got a fix up ticket, I had a hard time finding a tint shop that was willing to remove the tint. I finally found one that directed me to a girl that comes to you and removes the tint from your car for $25. It's very easy to remove from what I saw. She wouldnt tell me what she was spraying on the tint to make it come off so easily though.

Just call a few shops. It's not that expensive. Get your ticket signed off after removal and go back to the tint shop to get it redone.
Hey, what's up Hells, long time no hear. YOu missed out yesterday at the block. Fun times. Anyway, thanks for the info. WIll probably just bite the bullet and pay for it to be done and then go back and just retint it anyway. It's a black beast so it has to remain all black. Now they pissed me off and I'm going to have to do a light tint on the front windshield as well.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:59 PM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

My suggestion is that you take it to a shop. I once peeled the tint off my BMW. It came off in one piece, but the glue it left behind was impossible to take off no matter what I used. I ended up takin it to a shop to have them remove the glue.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:07 PM
User 020720
Race Director

One more plug for letting the pros handle it.

Not worth the hassle or risk IMO.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:10 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hells
The first time I got a fix up ticket, I had a hard time finding a tint shop that was willing to remove the tint. I finally found one that directed me to a girl that comes to you and removes the tint from your car for $25.
I wonder if she'd clean my apartment for $75?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Je zz C6
Hey, what's up Hells, long time no hear. YOu missed out yesterday at the block. Fun times. Anyway, thanks for the info. WIll probably just bite the bullet and pay for it to be done and then go back and just retint it anyway. It's a black beast so it has to remain all black. Now they pissed me off and I'm going to have to do a light tint on the front windshield as well.
Hey Je zz, how's it goin' dude! Sundays are usually lazy days for me. If my Vette was black I'd have limo tint on it all around as well. It looks badass all blacked out.

Originally Posted by sabooher
Your apartment must be filthy if youre willing to pay $75 to have it cleaned. Around here, the housekeepers charge about $60 to $70 for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Stan Dickerson
Heel & Toe

I was told to use fantastic by a guy at a decal shop because it has ammonia in it: ammonia breaks down the adhesive. He also said this works with the 3M clear film also. I haven't tried it myself. Good luck
Old 08-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

just use some aircraft stripper
Old 08-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Daniel Redfoot
Racer

Originally Posted by Je zz C6
Anyone know what's the best way to remove tint from the front windows? Or should I just take into a shop and have them take care of it? Any ideas or suggestions from anyone that's done it before?

Yes, after having tint on all my cars for the past 10 years, I finally got a ticket this weekend for my front windows tint. Cop mentioned going 20 over speed limit and no front license plate but gave me a break and only wrote me a $10 fix it ticket for my tint. Not complaining and am thankful and glad he gave me a break. I was long overdo for that ticket since tint has always been almost limo up front. Thanks for all info
Actually- I recently removed tinting from my Pick-Up truck using a travel clothing steamer. I couldn't believe how easy it came off, and it had been on there for years. Google- "travel clothing steamer" approx. $30
Old 08-27-2007, 06:51 PM
ocsorbil
Instructor

Originally Posted by sabooher
Reminds me of the joke, Hooker approaches a guy and says, "I'll do anything you want for $50. if you can say it in three words."
Guy says, "You're on! Here's $50. Paint my house!"
Old 08-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Je zz C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ocsorbil
Reminds me of the joke, Hooker approaches a guy and says, "I'll do anything you want for $50. if you can say it in three words."
That's actually pretty funny.

Thanks for the info guys. I actually just called a shop and they'll charge me $70 to remove the tint and then after I get the ticket signed off, they'll put new tint film back on. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Originally Posted by ocsorbil

Get notified of new replies

To TINT removing suggestions please!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:01 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Ammonia is correct. Spray it down, and cover with plastic rap. Use a cleaner with ammonia.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:25 PM
zTrek
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Let a reputable professional handle it.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 PM
brimee
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Daddy
Put glass in direct sunlight.
Spray entire glass liberally with water.
Cover entire glass with black plastic (trash bag style)
Heat from sun will create steam and compromise (losen) adhesive on tint.
Let it steam for approx .5 hr.
This will allow you to peel and then razor blade clean.
But...
Instead of water, use windex. It has enough amonia in it to remove the tint. i had to do this on a car once and it worked great.

Quick Reply: TINT removing suggestions please!