C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardtop C6? Rigid body?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Stangar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop C6? Rigid body?

I want to increase chassis rigidity. You know how a shoebox is easily twisted without the top on? Put the top on and it's super rigid. I want to make the regular C6 super rigid.

Has anyone ever turned their C6 into a REAL hardtop (not a targa). Can the magnesium frame bolted into the top of a Z06 be used to turn a regular C6 into a hardtop?

I greatly appreciate constructive comments. Thank you.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:10 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

add an elite tunnel plate 1/4" or 3/8", it will make a noticable difference. I have one on my car, I also got it with thermal abs, really helps with heat transfer to cabin.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:59 PM
justpassedu
Instructor

or buy a z06 not only will you get the rigidity but the power also
Old 08-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jdurhan
add an elite tunnel plate 1/4" or 3/8", it will make a noticable difference. I have one on my car, I also got it with thermal abs, really helps with heat transfer to cabin.
I agree....the Elite Engineering tunnel plate will help increase chassis rigidity.

Originally Posted by justpassedu
or buy a z06 not only will you get the rigidity but the power also
The Z06 (a great car) has rigidity in its permanent hardtop configuration but it doesn't have the structural integrity to handle a targa top.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:06 PM
gitgone
Instructor

Sounds great! Can anybody tell me how chassis rigidity is measured and what the measurement units are?
Thanks!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:14 PM
cfi_luz
Drifting

I'm with you on this one, I never take the top off and would gladly make it permanent (and get rid of the squeeks too).
Old 08-28-2007, 07:42 PM
ranchero
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I only want a hardtop. Not a targa. Not a sun roof. Not a convertible. I only want a two door hardtop. I want the lightest car possible and the most structurally sound and that is a two door hardtop (or sedan if we are talking '61 Bel Air or such). I would prefer a fixed roof hardtop without the glass hatch - a car like the C5 generation Z06. That would be a coupe with a B/C pillar and a trunk. I will take and live with the C6 coupe as it is currently sold but I would prefer a lighter, more rigid, fixed top coupe. - ranchero -
Old 08-28-2007, 07:48 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish it had been an option
Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
opus1111
Pro

Originally Posted by gitgone
Sounds great! Can anybody tell me how chassis rigidity is measured and what the measurement units are?
Thanks!
A great question. It's a little funky, but chassis stiffness is measured by the lowest frequency (or 'fundamental frequency') it resonates at when vibrated by a vibrating machine or 'shaker'. Typical units are cycles per second, a.k.a. hertz (hz). This test setup is like driving down the road, but under controlled conditions. Can't really measure this value at home though by any means I'm aware of.

The higher the number the better, like a great sports car's fundamental frequency (or fundamental 'mode') is 20hz or 30 hz. The C5 Coupe w/ top in place is supposed to be 27hz reported by GM. C5 vert is supposed to be 23hz (source: "Corvette C5", Peternie 2004) Poorer response is like 5hz. Don't have any C6 numbers. I'm not an automotive engineer, but I've studied modal analysis in my mechanical engineering Bachelor's and aeronautical engineering Master's, which is the study of things like chassis stiffness.

Last edited by opus1111; 10-07-2007 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added chassis stiffness examples
Old 08-28-2007, 10:35 PM
gitgone
Instructor

Originally Posted by opus1111
A great question. It's a little funky, but chassis stiffness is measured by the lowest frequency (or 'fundamental frequency') it resonates at when vibrated by a vibrating machine or 'shaker'. Typical units are cycles per second, a.k.a. Hertz (hz). This test setup is like driving down the road, but under controlled conditions. Can't really measure this value at home though by any means I'm aware of.

The lower the number the better, like a good sports car's fundamental frequency (or fundamental 'mode') is 2hz or 3 hz. Poorer response is like 10 hz. I'm not an automotive engineer so the numbers could be off a little, but I've studied modal analysis in my mechanical engineering Bachelor's and aeronautical engineering Master's, which is the study of things like chassis stiffness.
OPUS111:

Thanks for the detailed response, sounds like you are very knowledgable in the field. I hope our highway department hires more like you to help with the nation's bridges!

Sounds like the OP would like to know relative rigidity of various body styles (specifically - coupe vx targa) ie. How much more rigid is a coupe vs a targa vs a convertible? Is there much difference?

For any of you out there that might know - Is this info available from GM or Bowling Green? or are the numbers we hear just subjective?

Likewise with the tunnel plates that are being marketed. When you go to the websites, you see terms such as "improved rigidity". Maybe I missed it, but so far I haven't seen reference to actual numbers or what equipment was used to get those numbers.

The equipment necessary to measure the parameters OPUS1111 mentioned is probably very expensive. Not sure any of these companies have the budget for such testing. Although, I for one, would like to believe we can improve ours cars performance for such a nominal cost!

And last, a little food for thought:

Is more rigidity always better?
- or do you need some flexibility?

How does the Vette compare to faster or more responsive sports cars in this area?

I seem to remember that Carol Shelby's Cobra derived some of its phenomenal success due to the chassis "flex" enabling it to put its emense power to the ground.

Comments/Corrections Welcome!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How does the Vette compare to faster or more responsive sports cars in this area?

I seem to remember that Carol Shelby's Cobra derived some of its phenomenal success due to the chassis "flex" enabling it to put its emense power to the ground.

All chassis flex. It can't be helped. But the suspension designer's ideal is a chassis with no flex at all. That lets him do idealized suspension calculations to get the perfect suspension tuning. When he has to include chassis flex in his calculations, the equations get messy, with too many independent variables that won't allow a single solution.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:09 PM
opus1111
Pro

OPUS111:

Thanks for the detailed response, sounds like you are very knowledgable in the field. I hope our highway department hires more like you to help with the nation's bridges!

Sounds like the OP would like to know relative rigidity of various body styles (specifically - coupe vx targa) ie. How much more rigid is a coupe vs a targa vs a convertible? Is there much difference?

No problem. Couple more comments. Suspension engineers (subtle distinction from suspension tuners, who might like some chassis flex to help w/ certain issues like the previous Cobra example) always prefer a stiffer chassis over more flex because as the previous poster put it, suspension tuning just gets more complicated when the chassis is doing its own thing while you're trying to dial in the suspension components. A very stiff chassis means your suspension adjustments are the 1st order effect (ie primary effect) on whatever response you're trying to acheive/correct; a flexible chassis complicates the tuning problem a lot.

The C5/C6 Vette in the high 20hz region compares very favorably w/ Italy and Germany's best, I suspect. Anyone have numbers to support???
Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 AM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

I do not recall where I read this but I think the Mercedes SL55 and 996 series 911 Porsche Cab has a stiffer chassis then a C6? Not 100% sure though? One of the car magizines wrote about this several years ago.

Adding a top makes a huge diffrence. The Cayman is 2.5 times stiffer than the open top Boxster. It is noticable when you jack up the car from the front wheel. The Cayman will lift the rear wheel much sooner than the Boxster. The Cayman is more responsive and has quicker response. Leave it to Porsche to charge more for the hardtop on this one? Everyone else charges more for the vert.

I don't know what the numbers are for a C6? I would think the coupe with the top on would be stiffer than with it off? You can feel the C6 chassis flexing over bumps if you place your finger between the targa top and side window. That movement it the source of the noise in the targa tops.

Race cars want the most rigid chassis possible. Installing a roll cage saves your life but it also stiffens up the chassis a lot.

I wonder also if the after-market center plates actually make the C6 chassis stiffer? You would think the factory center plates would be distorted or the screw pattern in older cars would not align up when removed if there was a signifigant amount of chassis flex with the factory plate? The after market plates probably are worth it for the heat deflection alone though?

This is a great topic. Hopefully someone has information on how stiff the C6 is compaired to the competition? I wonder how much stiffer the C6 Z06 is over the C6? Was the Z06 hard top required for the larger tires and stiffer suspension and/or for the huge torque from the motor? Is the aluminum Z06 chassis as stiff or stiffer as the steel C6 frame? It would make for interesting reading if someone knew and felt like posting?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:51 AM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdurhan
The tunnel plate WORKS....less flex in body, center console is much cooler
Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

A great question. It's a little funky, but chassis stiffness is measured by the lowest frequency (or 'fundamental frequency') it resonates at when vibrated by a vibrating machine or 'shaker'. Typical units are cycles per second, a.k.a. hertz (hz). This test setup is like driving down the road, but under controlled conditions. Can't really measure this value at home though by any means I'm aware of.

The higher the number the better, like a great sports car's fundamental frequency (or fundamental 'mode') is 20hz or 30 hz. The C5 Coupe w/ top in place is supposed to be 27hz reported by GM. C5 vert is supposed to be 23hz (source: "Corvette C5", Peternie 2004) Poorer response is like 5hz. Don't have any C6 numbers. I'm not an automotive engineer, but I've studied modal analysis in my mechanical engineering Bachelor's and aeronautical engineering Master's, which is the study of things like chassis stiffness.
and untill I see the frame tested with one of these new tunnel plates I'll believe what one of the GM Corvette chassis engineers told me when I asked him what these after market tunnel plates would do he said, "Add mass."
Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

OPUS111:

For any of you out there that might know - Is this info available from GM or Bowling Green? or are the numbers we hear just subjective?

Likewise with the tunnel plates that are being marketed. When you go to the websites, you see terms such as "improved rigidity". Maybe I missed it, but so far I haven't seen reference to actual numbers or what equipment was used to get those numbers.

The equipment necessary to measure the parameters OPUS1111 mentioned is probably very expensive. Not sure any of these companies have the budget for such testing. Although, I for one, would like to believe we can improve ours cars performance for such a nominal cost!

This is the last data I have seen. I don't have any specifics on the C6 but it is reported to be the most rigid frame yet.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:39 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

From my observations I'd bet good money that the vette chassis is just as good as any of the top sports car out and better than some costing twice as much.

With modern cars the stiffer the chassis the better the suspension engineers can create a suspension to do what they want it to do.

I wouldn't be surprised is Shelby's good chassis flex was a fortuitous accident.

Get notified of new replies

To Hardtop C6? Rigid body?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:05 PM
opus1111
Pro

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
From my observations I'd bet good money that the vette chassis is just as good as any of the top sports car out and better than some costing twice as much.

With modern cars the stiffer the chassis the better the suspension engineers can create a suspension to do what they want it to do.

I wouldn't be surprised is Shelby's good chassis flex was a fortuitous accident.
Yup yup. This is a cool post. Thanks talon90 for posting the graph.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:20 AM
gitgone
Instructor

I agree, thanks talon90. It was great to see some actual data backing up what a lot of us suspected.

Yup yup. This is a cool post. Thanks talon90 for posting the graph.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:11 AM
rollin18
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stangar
I want to increase chassis rigidity. You know how a shoebox is easily twisted without the top on? Put the top on and it's super rigid. I want to make the regular C6 super rigid.

Has anyone ever turned their C6 into a REAL hardtop (not a targa). Can the magnesium frame bolted into the top of a Z06 be used to turn a regular C6 into a hardtop?

I greatly appreciate constructive comments. Thank you.
id like to ask you...
how is your car behaving that makes you think its not stiff enough??

also what is hot abs?

Quick Reply: Hardtop C6? Rigid body?