C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Coupe Roof Noise?

Old 08-29-2007, 12:11 AM
rstarr c6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Coupe Roof Noise?

Has anyone had any problems with the targa top making noise? I have the painted hard top on and it makes a lot of noise when im driving.Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:16 AM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Search for other posts regarding this problem. One fix has been to put electrical shrink tubing on the four mounting posts. That has fixed mine, for now. Another fix has been putting some white grease on the posts.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:44 AM
imaruby
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C6 roof

I just returned from Carlisle in my 08 cp and experienced the same thing.I got only 1300 miles on it.It seems the popping sound is coming from the driver side windshield pillar.If I remember ready other posts it could be the start of top delamination that C6's were know for.
Ray
Old 08-29-2007, 01:00 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I remember ready other posts it could be the start of top delamination that C6's were know for.

I would not worry about your top flying off on a 2007 or 2008. They stopped making the C6 "flying" poly roof in early August 2006. Your 2008 has the non delaminating SMC roof. Your popping noise problems lay elsewhere.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:04 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I'd like to think Corvette has satisfactorily addressed the issue of delaminating tops . . . I do think however, that there's a reasonable likelihood of some noise . . binding/creaking.. just by virtue of the car "torquing" while going over different pavement heights . . pulling out of a drive onto a roadway, etc at low speeds where there's some expected normal twisting of the chassis members.

As noted about...search the forum archives... try dry lube the contact/fitment points. The top of my `05 creaks a bit turning slowly out of my driveway-- both the plexi as well as solid tops-- and there's no evidence of problems after the painted top was repaired under warranty.

Keep an eye on it...but it may just be the normal sounds of the body flexing.....I'll certainly defer to others with greater technical or engineering knowledge...
Old 08-29-2007, 01:17 AM
rstarr c6
Advanced

Originally Posted by CQRT
I'd like to think Corvette has satisfactorily addressed the issue of delaminating tops . . . I do think however, that there's a reasonable likelihood of some noise . . binding/creaking.. just by virtue of the car "torquing" while going over different pavement heights . . pulling out of a drive onto a roadway, etc at low speeds where there's some expected normal twisting of the chassis members.

As noted about...search the forum archives... try dry lube the contact/fitment points. The top of my `05 creaks a bit turning slowly out of my driveway-- both the plexi as well as solid tops-- and there's no evidence of problems after the painted top was repaired under warranty.

Keep an eye on it...but it may just be the normal sounds of the body flexing.....I'll certainly defer to others with greater technical or engineering knowledge...
Thats exactly what its doing it makes noise when i turn or if the pavement is uneven! its a creeking noise! its just how you described!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:58 AM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by rstarr c6
Thats exactly what its doing it makes noise when i turn or if the pavement is uneven! its a creeking noise! its just how you described!
My friend , you are far from the only one , do not feel alone - You are one of the fortunate that GM has selected to have this special option package - Mine has been a'poppin from day one ! Do a search , there are countless threads on this unfortunatly none of which have a real permanent solution that seems to work for everyone . I suggest you do what I did - Learn to live with it and make friends with your stereo volume ****
Old 08-29-2007, 07:22 AM
besz28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2008 has 500 miles on it and my roof has started creaking also...still love the car though
Old 08-29-2007, 07:27 AM
EGL ONE
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by BrooklynC6
I suggest you do what I did - Learn to live with it and make friends with your stereo volume ****
That is exactly what I did this morning, just noticed the creaking when turning or uneven pavement. Once I figured it out, just turned up the volume, VIOLA, no more creaking.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:35 AM
6 speed Sid
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My C-4 or C5 never did have a popping roof. The C6 has always had this problem. I guess I will try some of the heat shrink on the pins.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Y2KC5NBM
Pro

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by 6 speed Sid
My C-4 or C5 never did have a popping roof. The C6 has always had this problem. I guess I will try some of the heat shrink on the pins.
I did the heat shrink tubing "fix" on mine twice now. The first time I only did one layer. It lasted about two weeks (and I only drive my car on Sundays, lol). So, the second time I did a double layer of tubing. It lasted a little over a month and the pop/creak is back. What is happening is something is rubbing on the front guide pins (the ones that go into the A-pillar) and eventually rubs through the heat shrink tubing exposing the bare metal again. Hence the popping/creaking noise returning. It is so freaking annoying.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:06 AM
SeeSixGoFast
Intermediate

Try electrical tape on the metal pins front and back. No sound after 3 months.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:12 AM
veni vidi vert
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

The creaking and popping in my '07 is terrible. I've tried the heat shrink on the pins, and lube on the seals and it's not working at all.. 2 trips to the dealer didn't help either.

I'm going to loosen the #40 Trox screws to finger tight tonight. From what I understand it has the best outcome.. I'll let you know. It should be pretty black or white on whether it's worked or not.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:33 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mainagent
I'm going to loosen the #40 Trox screws to finger tight tonight. From what I understand it has the best outcome.. I'll let you know.
Thank you; we would all like to know of a good fix.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:33 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My popping is pretty annoying
Old 08-29-2007, 12:24 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rstarr c6
Has anyone had any problems with the targa top making noise? I have the painted hard top on and it makes a lot of noise when im driving.Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
I do not think there is a permanent fix. I have done everything there is to do with my transparent roof, including the extreme - replacing the roof panel. Everything is just tempoary, as the poping noise always comes back, sooner or later.

Sometimes, just taking the roof off and reinstalling, will correct the condition, for a while.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Marina Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

When popping noise appears, I use SuperLube (DieElectric Grease also works) on the pins and weatherstrip seals. It does the job. However, there was a period of time in August that I noticed a crackling noise coming from the roof liner. I could make it crackle just by pushing up on the liner. It was very humid during the time it was making noise. Humidity is now down somewhat and no more crackle.

You will never permanently eliminate the noises. It just takes a few minutes occasionally to give yourself a reprieve for a few months. A delaminating roof is a whole different problem, but noise in an '08 or anything made after August 2006 should not be delamination, so try using some lube.

Last edited by Marina Blue; 08-29-2007 at 12:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Coupe Roof Noise?

Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've taken the top off and put it back on, the noise goes away and eventually comes back.

I've cleaned and lubricated the weatherstripping, the noise goes away and eventually comes back.

Are you seeing a trend here? Let's face it, some of us are destined to live with Rice Krispy tops.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:06 PM
greenie99
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=mainagent;1561704394]The creaking and popping in my '07 is terrible. I've tried the heat shrink on the pins, and lube on the seals and it's not working at all.. 2 trips to the dealer didn't help either.

I'm going to loosen the #40 Trox screws to finger tight tonight. From what I understand it has the best outcome.. I'll let you know. It should be pretty black or white on whether it's worked or not.[/QU

The pin may be scoring the piece that it fits into. If so, make the appropriate adjustment. My 07 is in for the third time but I dont expect any fix to last too long.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:44 PM
philiphere
Advanced

Default As mentioned in the owner manual...

Apply silicone grease over all weatherstripping of the entire car--doors, hood, hatch, top. No squeaks or creaking. Mentioned in the owner manual--sorry don't have the page number handy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Coupe Roof Noise?