C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Additives can I place in 93 octane that MAY increase horsepower and so forth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:14 PM
BigVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Additives can I place in 93 octane that MAY increase horsepower and so forth?

Additives are seen everywhere in auto part stores...increase horsepower, better combustion, cleaner engine, reduce water in gas, clean injectors...and so forth. So many you get confused and are not sure what to get. What have people used that works well for any of these stated claims?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:20 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVette
Additives are seen everywhere in auto part stores...increase horsepower, better combustion, cleaner engine, reduce water in gas, clean injectors...and so forth. So many you get confused and are not sure what to get. What have people used that works well for any of these stated claims?
those 'additives' are a waste of your money. a premium tier 1 gasoline has all the additives your engine needs.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by maxp
those 'additives' are a waste of your money. a premium tier 1 gasoline has all the additives your engine needs.
That said, I do add a bottle of Chevron Techron cleaner at least once a year.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

What Additives can I place in 93 octane that MAY increase horsepower and so forth?
A supercharger!
Old 09-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Second part of the question is: What Additives can I place in 93 octane that PROBABLY WILL void my warranty?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:46 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

None will increase horsepower, and none are required. Generally, additives are a waste of money and GM does not recommend them.

Any additive with alcohol in it will cause free water to be absorbed into the gasoline; however, with modern sealed fuel systems, I doubt water vapor condensation is still a problem for modern cars...but, I could be wrong; I have no recent experience in cold climates.

Use Chevron premium gasoline with techron; it's a top-tier fuel and it will keep your fuel system clean and in good condition. I hate the company, but love the product and use it exclusively. It will typically cost the same as the other top-tier gasolines, and you get the techron additive free as a bonus.

Last edited by JmpnJckFlsh; 09-08-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:49 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by maxp
Old 09-08-2007, 02:16 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm listening.... I'm listening..... ......
Old 09-08-2007, 02:43 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn you are getting 93 octane. come to california and try 91. use a tier 1 gas skip the additives.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:10 PM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many years ago when I worked on the fuel injector side of the Bosch plant here (I am in the Diesel side now) we got many, many customer returns that were rejected because of contamination from these additives. These contaminants were not particles but films that blocked the internal filters

I recommend not using any additives for your gas.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:21 PM
longboy4
Burning Brakes

Default A truley space aged product!

........Well I use.."Jake & Sid's" patented "Fats Off Horsepower-In-A-Can Showcar Shine" combination diet drink, car polish and torque producer. "Yes, just 4 tablespoons a day, a pint in the crankcase and spritz on the hood and fenders and buff off with a Scotty towel and you too will have the chicks on your lap, the drag boys cowering and a car so brite you'll need shades"! Only $29.95...........but if you act now!.........they'le send you TWO!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:29 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I occasionally use Techtron. I have a bottle of Chevron PureEscape that I'm going to try next time I go to the track. One of the vette mags did some testing and showed it increased performance. Also, a tuner said he showed up to 5 hp increase on the dyno with certain brands of gas, one of them Mobil. You'll have to do your own testing. I had slower times at the dragstrip when I switched to Chevron gas but it could have been due to many different factors and not the gas.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:47 PM
traindude
Race Director

Originally Posted by longboy4
........Well I use.."Jake & Sid's" patented "Fats Off Horsepower-In-A-Can Showcar Shine" combination diet drink, car polish and torque producer. "Yes, just 4 tablespoons a day, a pint in the crankcase and spritz on the hood and fenders and buff off with a Scotty towel and you too will have the chicks on your lap, the drag boys cowering and a car so brite you'll need shades"! Only $29.95...........but if you act now!.........they'le send you TWO!
Ending with: ...Offer ends without notice! Call NOW!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:40 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

. . .none.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:53 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by CQRT
. . .none.
Run, don't walk away from fuel additives in the Corvette.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:03 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
Second part of the question is: What Additives can I place in 93 octane that PROBABLY WILL void my warranty?
Anything that contains chemicals that can poison the catalysts or damage the fuel system seals. Examples, tetraethyl lead or methanol.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:29 PM
cobra-info
Intermediate

Higher Octane fuel (race gas) will do nothing for a car alone. Higher octane only fights detonation when applying boost or nitrous. It will allow you to run higher boost (race tune) with out damage to the motor but running an addative like torco or race gas alone will do nothing on it's own....... WOW come on vette people!

Get notified of new replies

To What Additives can I place in 93 octane that MAY increase horsepower and so forth?

Old 09-08-2007, 05:33 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by carpe dm
That said, I do add a bottle of Chevron Techron cleaner at least once a year.
I use two. One in the tank before it hibernates and one in the first fill after wake-up.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:42 PM
LMBC6Brian
Pro

Nothing in the gas will help you increase HP unless you use octane booster, but you NEED to be tuned to run with the higher octane. Otherwise the only thing you need to put in your gas is stabil if you put your car away for the winter. Otherwise nothing should go in that car accept mobil or bp super premium.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:17 PM
NOIRtist
Racer

Originally Posted by jesse12804
A supercharger!

Quick Reply: What Additives can I place in 93 octane that MAY increase horsepower and so forth?