C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Key Fob switch pic's

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:57 PM
SB60
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 08 Key Fob switch pic's

I finally got mine all complete. The fob & the key. It didn't go as smooth as every one else's that have posted.

I have a 07 Z06. Everyone said that the 07's will work with the new key. Well, when you put the 07 key up to the 08 key blank, the 07 key is wider at the tip. I had my local Chevy dealer cut the key for me using the 07 key as a template, not a vin #. He was very sceptical that it would work because of the noticeable difference in key width.

He ran the machine over it 4 times per side to insure the best cut. He even assembled the key to the fob for me. Let me tell you, you don't want to drop that screw! It is so small you would find a long lost contact lens before you found that baby!

I tried it in the trunk cylinder and it DID NOT work! I knew it was too good to be true. On my way home I was thinking of my options and remembered that the glove box has a lock. I tried that and it worked! There is hope! I disassembled the key and reversed it in the holder and tried it again, it worked! Not well but it opened the trunk every time! If this was to be a key that started and unlocked my car on a daily basis, I'd be screwed! Luckily for me, it is an EMERGENCY key to unlock my car if and only if the battery is dead. I seriously doubt I will ever take it out of the fob again.

I like the size of the new fob. The key is no longer sticking me in my pocket while I drive. I added the "remove before flight" ribbon just because I had one laying around.

As far as programing the new fob, I did the long process (30 minutes) so that this new one would be sourced as #1. It is explained very well in the owners manual and worked as described.

I am posting this to let others that may be on the fence, know it is not as cut and dry as I have read. My key almost did not work. It works now but not well. Again it is an EMERGENCY key. There is no other use for it. I could recylinder it, but in my last three years of C6 ownership (2005 C6 & 2007 Z06) I have never used the key.

For those of you who want to blast this thread for over kill, save your words. I read every thread I could find on this and no one ever mentioned any problems. Well, there is always one! And that was me!

Fob's:

Gene's comments sent to me today, and he is probably correct:

"The key was cut improperly then. Many mistakes can be made cutting keys. I have cut several hundred keys over the last couple of years and that is common when it is traced improperly. It is not how many times you trace it, it is how it is setup to begin with."

Just trying to give you "fair & balanced" reporting!

Last edited by SB60; 09-12-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:59 PM
BaBa Booey
Burning Brakes

Thanks
Old 09-12-2007, 03:15 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My dealer cut my keys from the 07 key as well, I took a piece of sandpaper cleaned up the cut a bit and my key works as good as the 07 key, like butter. You may want to try the same.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:26 PM
SB60
Pro

Originally Posted by jdurhan
My dealer cut my keys from the 07 key as well, I took a piece of sandpaper cleaned up the cut a bit and my key works as good as the 07 key, like butter. You may want to try the same.
Thanks, I will try that.

Edit: Works much better....still not as smooth as the 07 key, but this will do. As long as it will open my hatch if & when I have a dead battery, then it is fine. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by SB60; 09-12-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM
atomic orange vert
Instructor

Variety is the spice of life...so they say. I think the 07 fob is too big, now the 08 fob is even bigger??? I will keep my 07, thanks.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Inky Pinky
Safety Car

Keys, who needs keys?

I..P..
Old 09-12-2007, 04:08 PM
SB60
Pro

Originally Posted by Inky Pinky
Keys, who needs keys?

I..P..
That's exactly why I switched to the new fob. I was tired of having a key attached that was never used! Now I hope the one I have never has to see daylight again!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:20 PM
thejerseydevil
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Would this work with an '05?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:24 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by c6am
Would this work with an '05?
No, not out of the box. The 2007 was supposed to be the first year with the new integrated key fob. The introduction was delayed due to durability issues with the new style fob. As a result, the lock cylinder in the back was all ready changed for the start of the model year.

In order to use the new fob for the 2005 you would need to order the new fob, the new key blank along with a new lock cylinder for the back. The new key is shorter than our's and cannot be cut for use in our locks.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:05 AM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 225 Likes on 119 Posts

Default 2008 Key

Thanks for the posting. I went to a lock smith this afternoon and asked whether he could cut the new blank for me. I mentioned that from what I've read on this forum, some people have been able to get a dealer to cut the key and others were able to get a regular lock smith to do it due to the fact that the new blank isn't as wide as the regular key. He looked at it and agreed that it wasn't as wide and said he didn't want to take a chance and cut my $37 key wrong. He then refered me to another lock smith. I was tempted to go to a Chevy dealer but even then wondered whether they could propperly cut the key. One mistake and I'd have to spend another $37. I've been following all the postings about the new FOBs and keys and can't get a feel if where the majority of members are getting their keys cut.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 AM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by geewez
Thanks for the posting. I went to a lock smith this afternoon and asked whether he could cut the new blank for me. I mentioned that from what I've read on this forum, some people have been able to get a dealer to cut the key and others were able to get a regular lock smith to do it due to the fact that the new blank isn't as wide as the regular key. He looked at it and agreed that it wasn't as wide and said he didn't want to take a chance and cut my $37 key wrong. He then refered me to another lock smith. I was tempted to go to a Chevy dealer but even then wondered whether they could propperly cut the key. One mistake and I'd have to spend another $37. I've been following all the postings about the new FOBs and keys and can't get a feel if where the majority of members are getting their keys cut.
You need to find a good parts guy, when I brought my keys to the dealer parts dept. by my house they didnt blink an eye just went back and cut them. Good Luck.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:57 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good thread. I think I'll give it a try.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 AM
frankz06_cf
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default cut depth?

My key was cut by the vin# and it didn't work. :-( Does anyone know if the Cut Depth #1 is a true issue?

I seem to have cut depth #1 on my original key which the new key does not do. I'm still tmepeted to get another blank key and try again by tracing it.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:31 AM
VETTE IV
Instructor

It has been posted that a Saturn Ion B-106 key blank can be used in cutting an emergency key. Is this true in relation to the 2008 lock cylinder?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:40 AM
SB60
Pro

Originally Posted by frankz06_cf
My key was cut by the vin# and it didn't work. :-( Does anyone know if the Cut Depth #1 is a true issue?

I seem to have cut depth #1 on my original key which the new key does not do. I'm still tmepeted to get another blank key and try again by tracing it.
See if you can use trace the key you already had cut. Seems you have nothing to lose now. If that doesn't work, I'd get a new blank and have that traced. Then I'd give up!

I took jdurhan's advice and used some sandpaper on it and that made it work a lot better.

As far as the tumblers go, I have no idea. My key was simply traced at the dealer.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:16 PM
SB60
Pro

I think if I were to do this over, I would buy the key portion only. I would then have it cut and see if it works to my satisfaction. If it does, then I would go ahead and purchase the rest of the fob. The fob programming is pretty cut & dry. I have not read of any problems as far as that goes. That way it is only $40 to see if it works for you. Just a thought.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:31 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How would it work if you cut the head off of the 2007 (duplicate) key, drill and tap the hole and then mount modified key into the new 2008 key fob base?

Get notified of new replies

To 08 Key Fob switch pic's

Old 09-13-2007, 05:36 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SB60
That's exactly why I switched to the new fob. I was tired of having a key attached that was never used! Now I hope the one I have never has to see daylight again!
My 05 key is hidden under the car, why carry it around?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 PM
DJ07Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by calemasters
How would it work if you cut the head off of the 2007 (duplicate) key, drill and tap the hole and then mount modified key into the new 2008 key fob base?
I wonder????
Old 09-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by DJ07Vette
I wonder????
Sure it could be done if you have fabricating skills and the right equipment. The last thing I tapped was a keg and my old girlfriend in college.
Tapping little screw holes is definitely out of my league.

Very nice write-up BTW. This could very well be my next project on the Vette. I love a challenging project.

Quick Reply: 08 Key Fob switch pic's