C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting rear window dot matrix ??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 AM
MOUNTINBEAR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default Tinting rear window dot matrix ??????

I have heard people talking about putting black vinyl on the dot matrix area of the rear window and they say it is great.....my question is how much of it do you cover with the black vinyl??? from my experience mostly the tint doesnt stick well to the dot matrix closer to the top of the rear window.....I was looking at the rear of a 2008 and the dot matrix comes down quite low....anyone with this tint set up care to tell me their experience with it??? rear visibility issues????? Much appreciated...i want my 2008 to come out great and not be disappointed with it....i had relatively good luck with my 2003 and 2007 tinting over the dot matrix with minimal clouding in the center near the top of the rear window

Eric aka MountinBear
Old 09-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Kerry G
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I'm getting my 06 done friday and I hope it turns out good. All the talk on here makes me worried it will look bad on that area.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:09 AM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

My guy did the black vinyl on all the dots, so it curves down. From the outside, you can't tell it has any vinyl (at least with 20% tint) it looks just like the black edges that are already on the glass. From the inside looking behind with the rearview mirror, you can barely see the bottom edge of the vinyl (maybe a 1/4" or so). The roof pilar hangs down so low it blocks the view anyway.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:31 PM
MOUNTINBEAR
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DaveC6
My guy did the black vinyl on all the dots, so it curves down. From the outside, you can't tell it has any vinyl (at least with 20% tint) it looks just like the black edges that are already on the glass. From the inside looking behind with the rearview mirror, you can barely see the bottom edge of the vinyl (maybe a 1/4" or so). The roof pilar hangs down so low it blocks the view anyway.

This is the answer I was hoping for...and since I am 6'2" i might not even see the little bit of black vinyl....thanks a bunch!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:10 PM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

Mark the bottom edge of the dots with some masking tape, then take a look. I'm 5'9" and can't see it much.

Edit: Go a little below the line where the dots begin, they put the vinyl on last and overlap the tint by about 1/8". You'll see a curved line for the window defroster, they go a little lower than that first line.

Last edited by DaveC6; 09-27-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tinting rear window dot matrix ??????

Quick Reply: Tinting rear window dot matrix ??????