C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypothetical Power Top Question for Covertibles

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:19 AM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Default Hypothetical Power Top Question for Covertibles

I am curious to know if the power top on the convertible can be put down manually if required? Now lets suppose that down the road the mechanics stopped working on the power top and the car is out of warranty and you don't want to pay to have it fixed, can the car easily be changed over to a manual top by removing the mechanics of the top just as though it had never been powered? Basically, are they the same tops with some motors and hydraulics? Thanks.

Jim Kay

Last edited by Corpsvette; 10-15-2007 at 02:21 AM. Reason: grammer error
Old 10-15-2007, 02:30 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

There is a method described in the manual for opening a hydraulic valve to lower/raise the convertable top in case of a faiure of the hydraulic system. I'm not sure as to how well this work around procedure would be on a semi permanent basis though. I have a coupe.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:37 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are considering the power top because you feel it may be a hassle to raise/lower a manual top, I invite you to test a manual for yourself.

A manual top is extremely easy and fast on the Corvette. No big deal at all. In fact, it is probably faster to raise/lower a manual top than the power top. And it's one less electronic contraption to go wrong.

A power top on the other hand adds substantial weight and cost, although it may contribute to resale value for select buyers.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:54 AM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Truth is, I prefer the manual top: Less things to go wrong IMHO. This kind of comes down to the 2lt vs 3lt package. I prefer the 3lt package only because of the HUD. I fear I would buy a 2lt and have regrets later especially if I was FORCED to sell my Vette later and needed the resell appeal of the 3lt. My C5 was obviously a manual top and combined with the window valet, it was a snap to put down and put up. It was down almost year round though. Anyway, still looking for the exact answer but thanks for all the input.

Get notified of new replies

To Hypothetical Power Top Question for Covertibles

Quick Reply: Hypothetical Power Top Question for Covertibles