C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6: Coupe vs Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:12 PM
1c5er
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6: Coupe vs Convertible

I previously had a 94 C4 Convertible and a 99 C5 Convertible. I sold my c5 2.5 years ago when my daughter was born to buy my wife a new car.

I find myself in the market for a car again, but budget keeps me to a C5 convertible or C6 coupe. I am a convertible guy and love the way the C5 drove, but never cared for the bubble but back end. I love everything about the new C6 but cant justify the out lay for even a 05 vert.

The weather is kind of unreasonable now to test drive a coupe to see if i could live with it. So have any of you convertible guys switched to coupes and have you been happy with it?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:32 PM
jcortney
Pro

I had an 07 Vert and went to an 08 Coupe. For the first couple of weeks, I hated it. Now, about 2 months into the new car, it has grown on me; kind of like a fungus.

Here's what I like:

Love the trunk space and with the Vette shelf it really finishes off the space well.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I really like the lexan top.

Very close to the "Vert" experience with the top off. Surprisingly so.

Much less turbulence with the top off than the Vert. Can easily carry on a conversation.

Here's the don't likes:

More road noise than the Vert. I know that sounds weird, but it's true. Once I get the road kill and the crazy cowboy kit installed I'm sure it will be much improved.

AC takes much longer to cool off the car. Makes sense as there is a whole lot more cubic feet than the vert.

Ok, it's not a vert. You have to stop the car, take the top off, put it in the trunk and get back in. It IS A PITA.

So, in the end there are trade-offs in both cars. If my choice was between a C5 Vert and a C6 coupe, it really wouldn't be much of a choice; the C6 is far superior.

Good Luck,
Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 PM
golfbone
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

I went the other way....from an '05 coupe to an '08 Vert.

The coupe has some advantages.....huge trunk and less wind noise with the top on. The Vert does have some wind noise above 70 mph that you don't get on the Coupe. There is definitely less road noise with the Vert though. The other problem with the coupe is that all the stuff in your trunk goes flying around when you take the top off whereas in the Vert all that stuff is locked away where the wind doesn't bother it. I think that the coupe is a better winter car but the Vert is a better summer/spring and fall car. You'll be much happier with any C6 than a C5 and you won't be missing all that much with a Coupe.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Honestly, I prefer the looks of the coupe, but that's just a personal preference. You'll get many opinions either way.

Since mine is a DD, I needed the extra space for items and with the top off, it does give the feel of a vert.

Red Cell.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:33 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default no brainer

the vert is the glamour model
Old 11-04-2007, 11:12 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Just considering looks:
Vert with top down > coupe > vert with top up

Which is better depends on where you are (fill out your profile). For me in TX a vert with the top down is way too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter and the rest of our year is rainy season... I love my coupe...
Old 11-04-2007, 11:16 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

You can buy a vert from Kerbeck for 49K. That's as cheap as a coupe.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:13 PM
1c5er
2nd Gear

Would love to buy a new one but am stuck around 36K max range. In order to get upper management approval I had to promise some fiscal responsibility.

Its seems this priced will get a pretty clean 05 c6 z51, 6speed, lt2 or 3 packages.

Which is why I am limited to a c6 coupe or a c5 vert.

I am kinda leaning towards making due with a coupe to get into the c6's.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I loved my C5 coupe, but I like both the looks and the power of my C6 coupe even better, so I would encourage you to give a C6 coupe a try. Mine is also a daily driver and I find that the coupe suits my needs better, and I live in the same state as BigJoe and echo his comments on the seasonal climate here, it really isn't very good for a vert, either too hot, too cold, or too rainy except for a few weeks a year. YMMV.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:57 PM
BACH
Pro

i went from a c5 vert to a c6 coupe.nice car but as soon as the c6 vert came out went right back and traded the coupe for a vert.just can't have a vette that isn't a vert
Old 11-05-2007, 07:15 PM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm biased. I love my vert. I like how it looks top up and down, but I have owned coupes as well. I think you go with your feelings. You are either a person who likes wind around you or you are not.

The removable panel is nice, but can't give the same sensation as the vert, so at best it's a stretch for a reformed vert lover. No flames please, the panel is tons better then a moon roof.

You can find an affordable vert if you look hard enough. I did.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:43 PM
trueblue92
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
You got it. There is nothing like cruisin' with the top down.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:57 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
I go for style....not glamour.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Guitars&Cars
Burning Brakes

In my opinion, here's what each looks like:

Convertible = Touring Car (only looks good with top down)
Coupe = Race Car (Looks with top in or out)
Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitars&Cars
In my opinion, here's what each looks like:

Convertible = Touring Car (only looks good with top down)
Coupe = Race Car (Looks with top in or out)

Yeah, but it's a touring car that does 185mph. I guess all the formula 1 cars are touring cars cause they don't have a roof? Top down on a summer night.............you can keep your coupe.
Whichever you choose, it's still a vette.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Sammgb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

After 10 years of owning convertibles, I went from a convertible Mustang Cobra into my C6 Coupe. I don't miss the convertible at all. I thought I might, but after having the Vette about 6 months, I realized that half the time I had the Cobra, the top was up. If the weather was too hot, looked like rain, raining, too cold, wife/daughters didn't want their hair getting messed up, the top stayed up anyway. Additionally, with the roof panel removed, the Vette lets in just as much air and light and you really don't notice the rear hatch all that much.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:28 AM
JFFVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought mine, I really thought I wanted a vert, and an A6. I found a deal on a 06 MN6 coupe, and pulled the trigger, thinking that I would trade it in a couple of years for the vert. Boy was I wrong. My friend has two verts, and in comparing the coupe, I will now stick with it, and especially the MN6. I love the coupe, so it's good for me, but I'm sure the vert would be just as good also for someone else. It's your car, you really need to drive both, and make the decision. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To C6: Coupe vs Convertible

Old 11-06-2007, 08:35 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
You can buy a vert from Kerbeck for 49K. That's as cheap as a coupe.
No, not exactly. Sure, it's as cheap as a well equiped coupe. But you can buy a base coupe for around $40K.

I've gone back and forth on coupes and verts - having just recently gone from a 05 vert to a 08 coupe. Don't get me wrong, I love verts, and drove them with the top down most of the time. But I can honesly say that driving with the windows down and the top on is not really bothering me. I have never liked the sun beating down on my head - so I really mostly drove the vert early in the day, or late in the day when the sun was not directly over head.

So far, no regrets. I will admit that could change back again some day though.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:53 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a hardtop, get the coupe.

You can lift the top off the coupe, but the rest of the roof and that expanse of rear glass remain. It's pretty much a glorified sun roof...but without the convenience of a sun roof. Look in your rear view mirror: it's still a coupe. Not that that's bad...but it's not open air motoring.

In addition, the C6 is a little too tall for its width. The coupe's roofline and big, dated bubble of rear glass magnify this. The vert, with the top down, visually lowers the vehicle and brings it back into proportion. With the top up, it's country club.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:02 AM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My "fun" cars have always been convertibles. If you like the convertible, what the heck, purchase what you enjoy. Remember, we are only going around once, or so I am told.

Quick Reply: C6: Coupe vs Convertible