C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Options on the '08 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Softballnut
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Options on the '08 Coupe?

I am a noobie and see that there are 3 removable top options for the 2008 C6 coupe: standard is the removable painted roof (NC), then an option for a clear roof ($750), and then an option for a dual roof package ($1400).

What is the dual roof package? ...can't you just add the transparent roof to the standard and have 2 roofs (painted and clear) for $750 vs. $1400? I'm missing something. Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:24 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

You would think optioning the glass roof should give you both roofs considering the painted comes with the car but no...

the glass top is "only" $750 because Chevy is ONLY giving you that top....you're not getting a painted top unless you pay the full $1400 for both....

Theoretically, you could say the glass top is actually $1400, but you'll save $650 if you check off the "painted roof delete" option. Maybe that example makes more sense?

so yea, the math doesn't add up: 1 roof=free, 2nd roof=$750, Both roofs $1400.....

...but that's how they do it....

My personal opinion is that the painted top alone is the way to go. If you really want to see the sky, take the top OFF rather than looking through a piece of glass (well plastic actually).
Old 11-17-2007, 05:25 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Softballnut
I am a noobie and see that there are 3 removable top options for the 2008 C6 coupe: standard is the removable painted roof (NC), then an option for a clear roof ($750), and then an option for a dual roof package ($1400).

What is the dual roof package? ...can't you just add the transparent roof to the standard and have 2 roofs (painted and clear) for $750 vs. $1400? I'm missing something. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Let's see if I can help.

The Corvette comes with a painted top standard and that is included in the cost of the car. This includes the painted panel and a magnesium frame and hardware (this is important to know as a frame of reference for later in my post.)

The optional transparent roof is made of Lexan polycarbonate and is a solid molded part. The cost for the clear roof is the difference between the painted panel and the Lexan panel as you have all ready paid for the frame and hardware. You are in effect getting credit back for the frame that you all ready paid for in the cost of your coupe which is why the optional transparent roof package is only $750.

The optional dual roof package is the additional cost of the Lexan panel and the cost of the additional magnesium frame and hardware. So, you are paying the extra money for the Lexan material and the second magnesium frame.

A transparent roof panel can be purchased from a forum dealer for around $1,200.00. If you elect to go the painted roof route, you can save a couple of hundred this way. Worth noting is the fact that it is very difficult to buy a painted roof after the fact if you think you will want one. You basically will have to buy all the hardware, the frame and the panel and have it painted by a body shop of your choice if you want one later. You could find one that a member is selling used, but buyer beware in that case.

Last edited by talon90; 11-17-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Softballnut
Heel & Toe

Thank you both for the replies. I should have thought about it more and realized the $750 option is the adder for the transparent roof ONLY without the standard painted roof. No free lunch..lol.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The body colored roof panel will also help keep the interior cooler during the summer months when the sun is overhead. Change to the transparent top during the fall months. Also gives you 2 completely different looks for your car. If you purchase the dual roof package with the car, then both tops will be covered by the standard 3 year warranty. If you buy the transparent top after the fact, I believe you will only get a 1 year warranty. There is also a concern about shipping of the transparent top if you purchase it later. That is a big piece that can get easily damaged. Does not always happen, but it has happened and then it just turns into a big mess getting another one. Buy the dual roof option, you will be very happy.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:55 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I would order the car with just the solid top and then purchase a transparent top if you want one. You can get a transparent top for $1,100 to $1,200 versus paying $1,400 for both tops when you order the car.

My car only came with the transparent top. I was lucky enough to find a solid top from another forum vendor recently. Its much easier to find a transparent top than a solid one.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

True, but how many people are paying full sticker for their cars now? Most are getting 10% or so off now, so that $1400 2-top option is really only costing about $1260. Throw in shipping on that $1100-$1200 top, and hope that you get it in one piece, and the fact that the factory warranty won't cover it if it cracks... I think the price is close enough that if you think you will want both, it's probably worth it to just get it w/ both from the factory. IMO.

The real question is....why does the clear top cost $750 bucks more than the solid, when the solid top has a headliner, insulation, paint, ect, while the trans top is just a clear sheet of polycarbonate?

Last edited by Vettin08; 11-17-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Pylons26
Racer

Originally Posted by VETLESStil08
True, but how many people are paying full sticker for their cars now? Most are getting 10% or so off now, so that $1400 2-top option is really only costing about $1260. Throw in shipping on that $1100-$1200 top, and hope that you get it in one piece, and the fact that the factory warranty won't cover it if it cracks... I think the price is close enough that if you think you will want both, it's probably worth it to just get it w/ both from the factory. IMO.

and if you don't like either top it seems they are both pretty

easy to sell.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 PM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Another advantage of getting the dual roof option with the original order, is that there is little chance of shipping damage. There have been few cases reported here of roof panels getting damaged in transit.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:21 PM
yellowscream
CF Lazy Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone know if a factory transparent top from an '05 will fit an '08?
Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by yellowscream
Anyone know if a factory transparent top from an '05 will fit an '08?
It should fit fine.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:26 PM
yellowscream
CF Lazy Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks! Thinking of trading my '05 with dual roof in on an '08 and I'll just keep the transparent top rather than include it in the trade.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:27 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yellowscream
Thanks! Thinking of trading my '05 with dual roof in on an '08 and I'll just keep the transparent top rather than include it in the trade.
That's what I would do too if I was going to get an 08.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:39 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VETLESStil08

The real question is....why does the clear top cost $750 bucks more than the solid, when the solid top has a headliner, insulation, paint, ect, while the trans top is just a clear sheet of polycarbonate?
Those are excellent points. If you get a good price on the car it would make just as much sense to order both tops rather than buy one later.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Y2K3CL-S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
If you purchase the dual roof package with the car, then both tops will be covered by the standard 3 year warranty. If you buy the transparent top after the fact, I believe you will only get a 1 year warranty. There is also a concern about shipping of the transparent top if you purchase it later. That is a big piece that can get easily damaged. Does not always happen, but it has happened and then it just turns into a big mess getting another one. Buy the dual roof option, you will be very happy.
To me, these points, coupled with the comments citing the discounts currently being offered on the coupe in general, more than justified my getting the C2L option.

Get notified of new replies

To Roof Options on the '08 Coupe?

Quick Reply: Roof Options on the '08 Coupe?